What exactly is wrong with the Revell 1/32 UH-1H kit?

Gentlemen,

I've read a few times that the Revell 1/32 UH-1H/D kit has some issues. Can anyone with more knowledge of the airframe and kit provide some specifics on what exactly is wrong with it?

Thanks,

Dave

To some, the nose is too rounded and bulbous. It also has oversized blobs for the pilots' door hinges (easily fixed). The guns on the "attack" version are fictional since no US long-bodied Huey was used as a gunship and they poorly represent the M16 armament system (dual M60s per side). The rest of it is pretty good. With some TLC, it can really look great. Cobra Company and Fireball Modelworks have some update sets for the interior, decals, and proper M23 doorgun mounts as well.

You can compare the nose for yourself to decide if it is acceptable. It looks pretty close to me.

02.jpg

Rtaf_uh-1h_csar_children_day_2007.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty

To some, the nose is too rounded and bulbous.

?? The nose of the actual Huey in the photo you provided looks more rounded and bulbous than the kit! To my eyes anyway.

It also has oversized blobs for the pilots' door hinges (easily fixed). The guns on the "attack" version are fictional since no US long-bodied Huey was used as a gunship and they poorly represent the M16 armament system (dual M60s per side). The rest of it is pretty good. With some TLC, it can really look great. Cobra Company and Fireball Modelworks have some update sets for the interior, decals, and proper M23 doorgun mounts as well.

Thank you. I was assuming the overall shape and/or dimensions were really off. Minor details as far as I'm concerned. For $12.00 at Hobby Lobby, I can live with those small problems!

I think the old Revell huey is the only accurate available at the moment, but we must know it has a major issue, and this is the nose section. Chin bubbles are too small, nose shape is bad, and windshield is horrible. The rest could be good, but hey, check out that rotor mast leaving that big gap between the hub and stab bar, now thats horribly wrong.

Still i think this kit is better than the dragon one.

Rod.

It astounds me that in 2015 there is still no accurate large scale Huey (D/H) kit. Astounding. It seems like the dictionary definition of "no-brainer" to me.

Edited by Jennings

Look, the Revell 1/32 kit was sate of the art for it's day. IMHO, it si a MUCH better starting point for a accurate UH-1D/H than the Panda/Dragon offerings. That said, it has some pretty glaring issues to me. The nose and chin bubble has been mentioned, but what about the greenhouse windows. They are not right at all. I can deal with that in 1/72 but in 1/32 it just looks off. Sure you can can gut the kit and get all the Cobra Company and Fireball goodies, but that nose is going to be bad no matter what. Here is a good comparison of the Revell kit laid over a actual UH-1H I photographed. I was trying to get a close to a straight on shot as possible. It's not perfect, but I think it shows the issue pretty clearly.

Hope it helps, Dave.

Ray

Revell%20kit%20compare_zpsdwjcdwzq.jpg

And a closeup of the nose compared to the real deal.

Revell%20kit%20compare%202_zpssdxy3qxy.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just finished the Revell UH-1D kit and granted, it needed some detailing but when it was finished it looked like a Huey. There probably are flaws that if I was to dwell on these, I may not have built it at all. I decided I was going to get it done and have a fairly accurate replica in my collection for a VERY reasonable price. Even the newest kits today, aircraft and armor, have dimensional issues which if you are a purist would be a no-go to buy that kit. You might wait 20 years before another scale model of that subject is manufactured. Or, you can cut it to pieces and rebuild the whole thing to satisfy whatever need for accuracy afflicts you...Bottom line, it's not too bad and with some work will build up to a respectable replica.

DSCN5380_zpsebermuvb.jpg

DSCN5383_zps0xfhlhqd.jpg

DSCN5384_zpsnpbirzsw.jpg

DSCN5379_zpsucblg3ka.jpg