Interesting F-4B photo

I was going through my pics the other day, when I spotted this F-4B on the old USS Franklin D. Roosevelt somewhere off Vietnam in 1966 or '67.

Note that it has both Mk.83's and Mk.82 Snakeyes loaded on the same TER's on the inboard pylons. I haven't seen that before. And also note that the interior of the canopies is green, and not the usual black.

f4_swordsmen_zpsccaf0y4w.jpg

Edited by Pete

Nice picture, thanks, first time I see a TER loaded like this.

By the way, I can't see if there's two Mk.83/one snakeye, or the reverse? From the left side, looks like its the reverse.

Also, thanks for the link, Finn.

That's one clean SPAD!

Edited by Antoine

Nice picture, thanks, first time I see a TER loaded like this.

By the way, I can't see if there's two Mk.83/one snakeye, or the reverse? From the left side, looks like its the reverse.

Also, thanks for the link, Finn.

That's one clean SPAD!

I believe it's the reverse: Two Snake Eyes and a MK83.

I was going through my pics the other day, when I spotted this F-4B on the old USS Franklin D. Roosevelt somewhere off Vietnam in 1966 or '67.

Note that it has both Mk.83's and Mk.82 Snakeyes loaded on the same TER's on the inboard pylons. I haven't seen that before. And also note that the interior of the canopies is green, and not the usual black.

f4_swordsmen_zpsccaf0y4w.jpg

I'm going to take a huge W.A.G. as to why that loadout is as such.

Before 1969; S.O.P. on U.S. carriers was not nearly as universal as it is today.

For example; If an AO sailor was stationed on the USS FDR and was transferred to the USS Forrestal, said sailor would have to learn how the Forrestal conducts its carrier deck operations as well as his own rate (Aviation Ordnance).

I'm W.A.G.'ing that the loadout in the pic is probably USS FDR-specific setup.

The investigations of the deadly fires on the Forrestal in 1967 and the Enterprise in 1969 uncovered scores of discrepancies of S.O.P.s and lack of proper training, etc.

If I understand correctly; In today's U.S. carrier fleet, a sailor can transfer from one carrier to another and the S.O.P.s would be nearly universal.

Fascinating photo! Never seen ANY green in ANY F-4 cockpit!

During Viet Nam, I fit many F-4 canopies in the USAF. When they were new and hung on the plane,the inside frame was green zinc chromate and the outside was white or gray primer. when I was done they would get painted...usually. Maybe these two were replaced and put back in service for good reasons. :thumbsup:

I've got to chip in too. The first thing that stands out to me in this photo is virtually NO safety devices on this jet; the seat isn't pinned, the canopy safety struts aren't installed, the ordnance isn't safed and there arnt any downlocks on the landing gear. I'm wondering if this might be an alert jet that's "hot cocked". My take on the canopy frame is that it looks black but has been touched up with a green spray bomb as a corrosion measure, a practice not uncommon. The suspension gear on the inboard pylon is a weird one too, not your BRU-42 (?). Of course this is mid 60s so after a few years of weapons being punched off by stray voltage and after a few deadly Martin Baker inadvertent ejections, we learned!