LF 1/48 A-10 Drop Tank(s) Mono/Revell

FB-111. The A-10 tanks are the best/closest in size and shape for the 'Vark. I just got the OzMods resin tanks, and they are the exact same length as the Academy tanks, 19mm shorter than the A-10 tanks.

So, ya got any tanks??

FB-111. The A-10 tanks are the best/closest in size and shape for the 'Vark. I just got the OzMods resin tanks, and they are the exact same length as the Academy tanks, 19mm shorter than the A-10 tanks.

So, ya got any tanks??

You, young man, have exquisite taste 70.gif .

One thing that puzzles me is that, according to OzMods, FB-111s have different fuel tanks than other 'Vark variants.

I haven't confirmed it yet but I get the feeling that the SAC 'Vark tanks are shorter than the other 'Vark variant tanks.

Is your OzMods fuel tanks for a SAC 'Vark or the other 'Varks? Do you think they are inaccurate?

Being a big 'Vark fan I have in my stash about a dozen 1/48 'Vark kits, mostly Hobby Boss.

To answer your question: I've acquired about a dozen Revellogram A-10 fuel tanks.

OzMods catalog lists;

OZCONV4803 - F-111 Wing Tanks - $15.40(Which I bought off ebay)(Insert facepalm emoji here)

THEN -

OzMods-Scaledown

SDA48010 - F-111A,C,D,E,F long range fuel tanks - $23.10

SDA48011 - F-111G/FB-111A long range fuel tanks - $23.10

They do not mention whether one is longer than the other.

The Academy & OzMods tanks - 132mm long, 14mm diameter

The A-10 tanks are - 151mm long, 15mm diameter, as measured on my trusty Hobbico mat.

Does the HobbyBoss kit have tanks included, and if so, what are the dimensions? Just curious there...

I've looked through the books by Don Logan, Jay Miller(Aero), Tony Thornborough(Osprey), Big Bombers(Bob Dorr) Wings June 79, Apr 92, and Airpower Sept 88. No mention of differences in tanks. No mention on Mr. Vark's F-111.net that I can find. On Z5, the F-111 sticky has some great stuff from him, and also shows the Scaledown tank as slightly longer than the A-10 tank.

IT SURE IS NICE TO NOT GET OBSESSIVE ABOUT THIS STUFF!!!!!

So-wanna sell off a couple of tanks? I'll even trade a couple of Ozmods tanks(Hee hee). Low mileage!

• 3 weeks later...

The Academy & OzMods tanks - 132mm long, 14mm diameter

The A-10 tanks are - 151mm long, 15mm diameter, as measured on my trusty Hobbico mat.

:wacko: Genuinely puzzled now...

Are the Revellogram A-10 tanks longer than the Scaledown tanks for the FB-111G/FB-111A long range fuel tanks? :blink:

Thought they were the same size...

Hi Unc-

See post #5 in this thread. The Barney version is this; Ozmods tanks = Academy copy. OzMods/Scaledown tanks - longer than the Mono/Revell tanks, and (seem) to have a better shape. I'm no expert, but I have slept at Holiday Inn! Jim Rotramel(Mr Vark)has posted on Z5 here: link

I would defer to his wisdom, experience, and, erm - Pictures!!

-Scott

• 2 months later...