MiG-29SMT's getting old-style Fulcrum camo?

http://russianplanes.net/id181915

http://russianplanes.net/id182145

These two photos were taken just last month. It's a MiG-29SMT 9-19, but instead of the usual three-tone splinter camo, it's now in the classic Fulcrum grey/grey-green scheme. I noticed a lot of the MiG-29As and Cs have been getting repainted in that scheme as well, from the solid grey look they've been sporting for a while.

Anybody know if this a recent undertaking to standardize all Fulcrum camo, and if all SMTs are gonna be repainted this way too?

What's that box under the rear fuslage boom? Is it more countermeasures dispensors?

Yes those are new built airframes and it is some kind of ecm gear not dispenser, also wingtip antennas are new and few more smaller ones..

P

Edited by Petarvu

Yes those are new built airframes and it is some kind of ecm gear not dispenser, also wingtip antennas are new and few more smaller ones..

Are you sure? They are quoted everywhere to be chaff dispensers. They fire UV-30MK (50mm) chaff cartridges, developed by Vympel. Here is a good pic of the pod. The ECM-gear is either internally mounted or externally carried (like the MSP-418K).

It's not repainted, it's part of a batch of new aircraft. I believe the order was placed in 2014.

Huh, I totally forgot they ordered more. Well, I can't complain. It'd be cool to make one in this scheme once Trumpeter's 1/72 SMT finally comes out.

You would need to make some mods though. Externally they are basically Russian MiG-29UPG's. And Zvezda is coming out with MiG-29SMT, in a decade or so. Meantime there is also GWH MiG-29SMT of course...

Are you sure? They are quoted everywhere to be chaff dispensers. They fire UV-30MK (50mm) chaff cartridges, developed by Vympel. Here is a good pic of the pod. The ECM-gear is either internally mounted or externally carried (like the MSP-418K).

It is being referred to as BVP-50 on Russian sites, and if it is true it IS actually dispenser. They commented on it as part of new on board ECM 'complex' so I thought it was areal..

P

What about the centerline fuel tank? Doesn't it appear to be bigger and more rounder at the front than the normal PTB-1500?

All SMT's are using a larger fuel tank, dont remember the size right now but somewhere between 1750 and 2000l. Same ones are used on MiG-29M/M2/K/KUB/-35 family.

It also appears that the recent batch lacks the formation lights, depicting blanking covers instead.

UV-30MK "Aerosol/Chaff Dispensing System"/"Passive Jamming Dispenser"

http://eng.ktrv.ru/p...ng/323/529/552/

Atleast on Su-35S they were imported from France, 99% likely it is same story with MiG-29SMT's. So sanctions and "import replacement" in works.

Edited by Berkut