I'm trying to sell a used car; posted for sale online, and I very quickly get a text message asking if it was still available. I said yep, it is!

Next message says: "I'm ok with the price and everything I will be paying via cashier check and my mover will handle the pick up at your place I will wait till the check clears before picking up Please send my your full name and address to send the cashier check via overnight USPS. Kindly delete the posting nso I can be sure its mine Thanks"

Asked if they wanted to meet to see and drive it, and they repeated that, no, they were good with the price and their mover would make all the necessary arrangements, again asked for my name/addy.

Not good? Doesn't feel right....

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Yeah does sound fishy. Kind of like the 3 emails I got over the past 3 days from 3

different people stating that they had sent me $2,150.00 via PayPal. Can't seem to

find the money anywhere in my PayPal account. :bandhead2:

:cheers:

Jerry

Yeah all a scam. You probably would have gotten a cheque for more and they would tell you to send them back the difference when you put it in your account. Cheque bounces then you owe the full amount.

Also who the heck does not test drive a used car?

I still don't understand how a cashier's check can bounce unless it's a fake to start with. In which case no bank should cash or deposit it. By definition, funds have to be presented to buy a cashier's check in the first place.

Edited by Jennings

I still don't understand how a cashier's check can bounce unless it's a fake to start with. In which case no bank should cash or deposit it. By definition, funds have to be presented to buy a cashier's check in the first place.

Yeah these SOBs have gotten really good at their craft. Here is an true story.

My son's father in law was selling one of their cars. They listed it on line on the local free classified ads site and sure enough get an actual phone call. The caller says their son will be attending the local university and the car will be perfect for him to get around. They will send a money order and their son can pick it up. Notice no mention of test drive etc? Sounds all legit. So the money order arrives and it is for more than the amount agreed upon. They email the buyer and she tells them to deposit it and send them back the difference.

My son's mother-in-law examines the money order and says it is fake. Oh did I forget to mention she works in a bank and has for many years. She has seen fake stuff often. She said it was a really good forgery but the paper felt funny. The printing was great so I can imagine how this might fool people without the experience she had.

You know prison is too good for these sort of people :fight: Oops did I type that out loud :)

Also who the heck does not test drive a used car?

I did. :rolleyes:/> Sad thing is, I am a car nut. A genuine gearhead, I've been turning wrenches on cars all my life. Back in '04 I found a low mileage 1995 Mustang GT convertible about 500 miles away. Talked to the guy on the phone and told them I would take it and let me arrange a flight. Two days later I was in VA looking for the elderly couple to pick me up at the airport. Got to their home and there it was in the garage. A like new 1995 Mustang GT convertible. Tires were a little rough considering they were the originals with 36,000 miles on them and almost 20 years old and the top had some dry rot in one spot. Interior was like new. they cranked it up, sounded like a smooth running sewing machine.

The lady selling it was a widow. Her husband had bought it new for her and he had a matching hard top. He died within the year and she only used it to go out to the bars on the weekend with her girl friends.

She met the gentleman that was with her and they traveled the world and never drove it. I was so damned excited, I did the paperwork and drove off into the sunset headed back to SC grinning like a jackass chewing on a brier bush.

My brother called to ask if I got it. Yep! Heading home now it in. "So, how did the engine look?" Oh crap, it just dawned on me that I never even opened up the hood! Never test drove it! Got home and about had a heart attack after seeing all the cracks in the tires. :blink:/> Best car I had ever owned up to that time. I'd still be driving it today if I wasn't caught in the middle of a 5 car pile up on the interstate.

Banks don't actually check cheques. They "clear" them merely by your own credit rating, so if you're good for the amount they are looking at on a cheque, then they let the transaction proceed. Eventually, when the cheque is proven to be fake, they remove that amount from your account.

I had a fake cashier's cheque pass through a store I worked at. It was fairly well done, complete with what appeared to be a seal from the issuing bank, but it was a complete forgery. Trouble is, no two banks use the same type of seal, so the bank it was deposited at didn't realise the seal was wrong until they got it back from the proper bank.

Alvis 3.1

Bingo! It just didn't add up from the very start. It's as I figured, but I'm grateful to y'all for confirming. :cheers:/>

Dealers. My cousin buys probably 50 cars a month like this for resale. If the seller has priced the car right, a test drive is a waste of time. You'll either sell it (to low income credit challenged individuals in his case), or put it to auction, or part it. However...the money order thing is very fishy. Most anyone doing the above would just pay cash.

Thanks folks....ARC is a Godsend not only for the vast aircraft knowledge, but for life knowledge. :cheers:

Just sold it to a disabled Marine only 37 yrs old, cash. The guy was almost emotional that now he didn't have to rely on his sister or brother in law to get him to the VA. Made me want to give it to him outright if I could have afforded it....dropped the price a bit anyway :) God bless the man.

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Thank you ever so much Andrew for the info and others who chimed in with tips and more info. The amount of useful share information to be found on ARC boggles the mind, info that will help one from falling for another dastardly scheme, and becoming a victim of low lifes who should be buried under a jail with a limited air supply.

Thanks folks....ARC is a Godsend not only for the vast aircraft knowledge, but for life knowledge. :cheers:/>

Just sold it to a disabled Marine only 37 yrs old, cash. The guy was almost emotional that now he didn't have to rely on his sister or brother in law to get him to the VA. Made me want to give it to him outright if I could have afforded it....dropped the price a bit anyway :)/> God bless the man.

God bless you!