GWH T-33 Pre-Order?

$60 or £40 for a 1/48 T-33 that's helluva steep :jaw-dropping:/>

I'm in the market for a T-33 but I'll pass on this one, sometimes I wonder why some manufacturers get into the business when they start hiking prices up this. $60 imo is into F-15, F-14, F-4 pricing territory.

Edited by scotthldr

I have to look at it this way. The last T-33 I built nearly cost me that much when you add up the price of the kit and all the aftermarket parts and decals I put into it. But yes the price is steep at Dragon, but give it sometime and you'll find it cheaper at places like Lucky Models.

when you add up the price of the kit and all the aftermarket parts and decals

Do you think that this could be the reason why GWH has priced it so high? They know what it took to get a semi decent T-33 in the past, so by charging say $5.00 less they will be onto a winner. Will be interesting to see if this kit needs any AM stuff thrown at it.

Is there a preview available?

Will be interesting to see if this kit needs any AM stuff thrown at it.

I've asked several times if the kit will include the chaff dispenser and radar reflector so prevalent in the aircraft's later service life ... but alas, received no answers. Hopefully these items are included for that leading edge price!!!

Gene K

I've asked several times if the kit will include the chaff dispenser and radar reflector so prevalent in the aircraft's later service life ... but alas, received no answers. Hopefully these items are included for that leading edge price!!!

Gene K

I'm not sure that anyone that high up the food chain at GWH is monitoring these forums. I never expect goodies like the parts you mentioned to be included, but more of an upexpected surprise if they do.

And I will say the price seems to be somewhat high but certain manufacturers concentrate on lowering prices while others not so much. For us north of the 49th, the price tag will be over $70 cdn. I hope it's good.

I think you guys are WAAAAAAAAY over-thinking this whole thing. Companies charge what they charge for their products. If it's too expensive for you, then don't buy it. And I'd like to know how many people reading this regularly pay the MSRP for any kit, ever? My wager is not many. Whinging about how expensive your hobby is is just that - whinging. If it's too expensive, take up crochet.

Whinging about how expensive your hobby is is just that - whinging. If it's too expensive, take up crochet.

and if we all did that then where would the manufacturer go..................... out of business, so no winners.

You, I, just about everyone on here and the manufacturer know that we will not give up the hobby, however we may give up on overpriced kits/items. Do the big wigs at GWH or any other manufacturer(Raymond @ Kinetic does)frequent this forum or any other forum? If it was my business I sure would as it pays to be in touch with your clientele.

Hopefully you're right about the price Jennings as $60 is way overpriced for a T-33 regardless of how good it is.

Edited by scotthldr
$60 is way overpriced for a T-33 regardless of how good it is.

Totally subjective assessment. If I had to spend $60 (or more) to try to get the ancient, horrible Hawk kit and its Academy/Hobby Craft clone up to something like the same standard, what makes $60 for a brand new, accurate, well detailed kit "overpriced"?

Jennings,

So have you had the chance to compare the kits? I'd love to see pics.

Brad

Totally subjective assessment. If I had to spend $60 (or more) to try to get the ancient, horrible Hawk kit and its Academy/Hobby Craft clone up to something like the same standard, what makes $60 for a brand new, accurate, well detailed kit "overpriced"?

Brad and Colin K....I believe Jennings posted here (ARC Boards somewhere)at one point that the kit was strictly a US production machine and that conversion work would be needed to make a Canadian machine so I would suggest only getting one to start with til you see what you may be need to do. Just a friendly warning as not my scale.......

Cheers

Bruce

To make money?

Its not really all about charging a high price to make a bigger profit. There is a whole string of people involved that has to be paid, from designers to mold makers also artists and print companies. But really, cost is subjective to everyone. There are kits I wouldn't pay for because I don't think its worth it, but here are others that I pony up and pay retail for when they come out (Trumpeter's Patriot system) I decide where I want to invest my money in the hobby. Complaining about the cost of a kit is pointless. Also, just wait a bit, your bound to find it a a good price. But if you absolutely have to have it now, expect to pay full price.

Brad and Colin K....I believe Jennings posted here (ARC Boards somewhere)at one point that the kit was strictly a US production machine and that conversion work would be needed to make a Canadian machine so I would suggest only getting one to start with til you see what you may be need to do. Just a friendly warning as not my scale.......

Cheers

Bruce

Hi Bruce....yup, am aware that this jet will be a US version. Will probably get one to start to do exactly what you have suggested. Unless....Mike Belcher does a resin set for it.....hint hint. :rolleyes:

Hi Bruce....yup, am aware that this jet will be a US version. Will probably get one to start to do exactly what you have suggested. Unless....Mike Belcher does a resin set for it.....hint hint. :rolleyes:/>

Really, a resin set to 'convert' to a canadian machine !! You are seriously overestimating the differences...

To make money?

How dare they? Don't they know their purpose is to simply cater to modelers every whim and sell kits at a loss?

For years I've seen threads on ARC and other sites crying about how no one will step up and release a decent T-33. Now someone does (and by the look of it, it's going to be a truly outstanding kit) and folks are now crying about the fact that it's $10-$15 more expensive than what they feel they should have to pay for such a product.

Hope they enjoy building the Hawk kit. I look forward to seeing their work posted here.

Personally, I'll be doing what 99% of the rest of us will be. I'll wait till it's out and then purchase from an online source for probably <$50.