Infrared sensor

The late war DO 17Z KAUZ was a night fighter that use IR technology to hunt rather than radar.

The nose had something that looks like a headlight. I take that to be part of the system.

The question is, does it look like a headlight or something else ? Can't find any descent photos of the item.

Anyone know anything on this subject . Any help appreciated .

Cheers, Christian

The IR system was called "Spanner I", which was used on the Do 17 Z-10; the system was comprised of a IR light in the nose of the aircraft, along with a sight in the cockpit which was used to view the reflected IR light. The system was range-limited, so it was updated to the "Spanner II", which discontinued the use of the IR light in the nose, and instead tried to use light energy emitted by the target aircraft (exhaust plume) as the light source. This, too, was range-limited and not effective, and its use was also discontinued.

There are a couple of pix of the "Spanner I" on p.46, of "Nachtjager, Luftwaffe Night Fighter Units 1939-1943, by David P. Williams. ISBN 1-903223-53-9.

Edited by Marv

The IR system was called "Spanner I", which was used on the Do 17 Z-10; the system was comprised of a IR light in the nose of the aircraft, along with a sight in the cockpit which was used to view the reflected IR light. The system was range-limited, so it was updated to the "Spanner II", which discontinued the use of the IR light in the nose, and instead tried to use light energy emitted by the target aircraft (exhaust plume) as the light source. This, too, was range-limited and not effective, and its use was also discontinued.

There are a couple of pix of the "Spanner I" on p.46, of "Nachtjager, Luftwaffe Night Fighter Units 1939-1943, by David P. Williams. ISBN 1-903223-53-9.

Thanks Marv . That sounds like a good explanation to the things I have been reading . That looks rather peculiar I'll have to try to find that book .

A one good picture or even an illustration would do the trick for me.

After a quick look at Amazon it appears that $ 99.00 is too rich for my modeling budget . It would be nice but looks like I'll just have to wing it.

Cheers, Christian

Edited by Chris L