F-15E Revell 1/48 "OEF" 87-0173

Great work Vedran, a couple of extra details you may want to add, first the chaff/flare dispensers:

f-15e_86-188_08_of_18.jpg

the kit comes with blanking plates but in combat they would have full ones. The above pic shows two empty dispensers and 2 blanking plates. Another detail is the electrical plug for the fuel tanks, you can see it on the left of the pic just below the second latch:

fidae_f-15e_19.jpg

most external fuel tanks have an air probe, a fuel probe and a electrical connection.

Jari

Can you elaborate more on your painting and weathering technique for the exhausts? It's amazing!

Well, not everything but anyway... Flat cable is sprayed with combination of Gunze H313 Sand, H111 and white. Dark stripes are combination of black and brown, sprayed over masking tape. At the end I blended these two colors with black, which is sprayed freehand.

Bottom of tube (engine) is painted in brown and black paint as base. Then i painted some parts in sand color and finally some gloss,wash and flat coat.

Inner parts of nozzles...also some kind of combination between sand, gray and white, with some dark and light shades of wash, and of course a bit of black.

I am sorry, but I can't elaborate it more precise, I don't work by some plan, instead, I paint till I am satisfied, which leads to many steps which I later forget. In this case (of nozzles itself) I even had to remove paint once, because I wasn't pleased with the result.

Great work Vedran, a couple of extra details you may want to add, first the chaff/flare dispensers:

the kit comes with blanking plates but in combat they would have full ones. The above pic shows two empty dispensers and 2 blanking plates. Another detail is the electrical plug for the fuel tanks, you can see it on the left of the pic just below the second latch:

most external fuel tanks have an air probe, a fuel probe and a electrical connection.

Jari

I thought about these flares dispensers, but i couldn't find any solution (besides ordering Photoetch) how to build them properly, drilling round holes is just wrong. Fuselage is now closed for 2 months, so I'm done with that.

I saw this electrical plug on some pictures, but I decided to leave it out because you can barely see it. And for that part is also too late...

Cheers, Vedran

What i did with one of my F-15E kits was to use some fine mesh for the c/f dispensers:

http://www.insectmesh.com/images/products/491pet-mesh-insect-screen.jpg

looks close enough, just add some paint to simulate the chaff and flares. You may have to dig out the blanking panels a bit depending on the size of mesh.

Jari

I had this in mind but at the time I couldn't find any of it available (or with normal price of shipping) :

http://www.czechkits.com/148-modern-usaf-chaffflare-dispensers-p-2164.html

Unfortunately, I don't plan to change dispensers at this stage of build, it's too late...

Just finished exhaust nozzles.

Revell did a great job so there is no need for Aires here.

Darker color is mix of AK Xtreme Metal Stainless Steel and Chromos Luxal Termo paint from 0,75l can.

Then a bit of drybrush with Mr.Metal aluminium, gloss coat, dark wash and in the end coat of semi-gloss.

Lighter metal color (rings) is also AK Stainless Steel which is then polished with cloth and graphite powder. Then I sprayed it with thinned coat of brown-black mix. Finaly, gloss coat, decals and semi-gloss.

IMG_5359-4_zpsrr15kw74.jpg

IMG_5353-2_zpsjn1cszhw.jpg

IMG_5350-1_zps65nmcqy5.jpg

IMG_5354-3_zpsbebpywsd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think the paint is fine - the paint fade is very noticeable between a freshly painted jet back from the depot and a jet that's been on the line for a few years. Let alone a jet that has returned from the desert!

I agree, and 173 was a well used aircraft.

... paint fade is very noticeable between a freshly painted jet back from the depot and a jet that's been on the line for a few years...

I`ll keep that in mind ;)

Btw, is there any frequency of painting/repainting? I`ve always wondered about that. Or the plane is just once painted and everything else is from the tear/wear/maintenance. Th u :)

I'm glad you like it. In reality, color is a bit darker, it depends under which light you look at it, or taking pictures. I tried to carry it outside on natural light and color seems better and exact match, although it will go a bit darker when i put gloss coat and flat finish. I used Gunze aqueous H305 FS36118 and it is OK without any black or white added.

In next few days I will try to make some photos under different light and settings so I hope it will look a bit better than here.

Cheers, Vedran

I`ll keep that in mind ;)/>

Btw, is there any frequency of painting/repainting? I`ve always wondered about that. Or the plane is just once painted and everything else is from the tear/wear/maintenance. Th u :)/>

They got a full repaint everytime they went in for depot maintenance. I do not remember the time break in between painting, but it was at a set interval. Somewhere around 2003 or 2004 a change was made to the paint, I do not remember what the number was, but it was of a different texture and a little lighter. I don't remember the details.

Here are some pictures taken today during daylight, on direct sun and in shade. Note that upper part of fuselage has gloss coat and lower doesn't.

I really think color is a match.

IMG_5442-1_zpsgsku6aqv.jpg

IMG_5444-2_zpsfa29kgjc.jpg

IMG_5445-3_zpsfdfirmcl.jpg

IMG_5447-4_zps8n42gkba.jpg

• 1 month later...

WOW, she looks amazing, very well done !! You should be very proud of all your hard work and attention to the details, it all paid off. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Steve