Zoukei-mura 1/48 F-4J Phantom II

1 hour ago, Janissary said:

I'm in a "I wanna F-4D and I want it right now!" situation. By looking at the sprue break down here:

http://www.detailscaleview.com/2016/11/zoukei-mura-148-f-4j-phantom-ii-sws4804-review.html

Does this set the stage for a quick C/D variant? If I remember correctly from this thread, the logical steps were: J (already out) , B/N, S, and then C/D? Is this correct? I'm not familiar with Z/M's production pace, but I suppose it would at least be 2 years before we get a C/D. Any insights from the Phantom experts or those with insider info about Z/M? It's OK to speculate. 

Heck, I'm tempted to make an F-4C/D out of this "J" kit, like I did with the Hasegawa recessed lined "J". Not too hard, but have to assume some aftermarket for either the Hase or Academy kits would fit this Zoukei-mura kit...?

25 minutes ago, phantomdriver said:

more accurate, than the Yellowhammer set.....

The colours are better, particularly  the Tiger colouration, and the stencils, including the formation lights ..

If I am not mistaken, you had a hand in it's design?

I researched and designed/drew it, which is why I asked. I sure as hell learned a lot about the F-4J(UK) aircraft!

4 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

I researched and designed/drew it, which is why I asked. I sure as hell learned a lot about the F-4J(UK) aircraft!

Being at Telford was the only way to get these decals correct?

I had hoped to buy them individually or to buy them in an RAF release of the kit.

1 hour ago, phantomdriver said:

However, I understand that they will be available fairly soon from Volks USA  /Japan.... separately. .

Indeed, the word is that Z-M will be producing that set of UK Phantom decals (2200 JPY), along with white metal landing gear (applicable to the C/D/J/S according to Z-M for 1600 JPY), resin weighted tires (1200 JPY), a color photo etch set with IP & canopy details (2000 JPY) and an F-4J/S Vallejo color set (2800 JPY). Lastly, the Z-M F-4J Concept Notes book will be released with 64 all-color pages in English & Japanese (1000 JPY). Scheduled release date for these items is 12/23/16 and each item will of course have to be purchased separately.

• 2 years later...
On 12/15/2016 at 3:51 PM, Dave Roof said:

I’m bumping an old thread in regards to the Tiger decals, the Tiger stripes were not on the starboard side of the option with the nose art Tiger.

8 hours ago, Scooby said:

I’m bumping an old thread in regards to the Tiger decals, the Tiger stripes were not on the starboard side of the option with the nose art Tiger.

Photos sent to me prove otherwise. It is also why the stripes are different and not just reversed. Perhaps you should do a little more research before questioning someone else's. I was asked not to share the close up photos that were sent, but this photo found on Facebook should be enough to prove they were there at one time. The markings also changed a couple of times, as the close up images have more stripes and in a different pattern. I am 150% confident the artwork I drew for Z-M is accurate for that airframe at a specific moment in time.

459311-535000073212448-52895940-o.jpg

Edited by Dave Roof
32 minutes ago, Scooby said:

I'm only going with a discussion from Britmodeler, they posted this picture taken during the Tiger Meet.

I appreciate that. However, I am going with the photos that were sent to me in confidence they wouldn't be shared. The photo I posted above also shows the stripes were in fact on the starboard side of ZE355 when it still had the nose art. I actually mentioned this in the placement guides. Why ZM chose to only provide the information in Japanese is beyond me.

4 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

I appreciate that. However, I am going with the photos that were sent to me in confidence they wouldn't be shared. The photo I posted above also shows the stripes were in fact on the starboard side of ZE355 when it still had the nose art. I actually mentioned this in the placement guides. Why ZM chose to only provide the information in Japanese is beyond me.

My apologies for not explaining my original post better. The Brits apparently only painted the stripes on one side during Tiger meet, last night was the first time I was aware of that.

Clearly the stripes were painted later. It makes me wonder if they were added later on both sides.

All of this just serves to remind modelers that if you are striving for accuracy, you should seek out specific photos that portray the aircraft you are modeling, during that specific time frame. Things change, sometimes extremely quickly. This stripes/no stripes issue is a good case in point. But, there are numerous examples of this, too numerous to mention in fact.

However, there is also the "good enough" school and if accuracy to the nth degree is not your bag, well your model, your way. Have at it hoss. 😁

Interesting news - I just got the KA nozzles for Hasegawa and Academy and indeed there's no way to fit them onto the ZM engine ends without extensive scratch building, if at all possible. They are definitely better looking than Eduard's (very thick material), but I think more or less on par with Aires'.

15 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

I think more or less on par with Aires'.

Good to know. I think I already have Aires nozzles for all the F-4EJ kits I own. Will probably get the KA-Models ones for the Z-M F-4S when they come out.