Turkish F-16 Block 40

Hi,

I was looking for some help regarding the Turkish F-16 Block 40. Does it have the large circular GPS dome on the rear behind the canopy?

I have looked through Google and I can’t see any photos close enough to see for myself.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Pre-CCIP Turkish F-16 Block 40's certainly do not have a circular antenna in this area. Can you please show an example of which GPS antenna you're talking about, so I can take a look at the CCIP aircraft? Post-CCIP Turkish Block 40's are very similar to USAF aircraft with the obvious exception of ECM fit.

The photo below is a pre-CCIP Block 40.

tuaf_b40.jpg

The GPS antenna I mean is directly behind the canopy between the TACAN and rearward looking light. right where the white hoist marking is in your photo.

044I-open.jpg

Scott Brown from Afterburner decals copyrighted?

Edited by loki

Thanks Kursad. The aircraft I am doing is a Block 40F I believe.

It is odd because it has IFF with a normal WAC HUD not WAR.

Not all Block 40/42 have WAR HUDs. While all USAF 40/42s do have WAR HUDs, not all FMS 40/42s do so a Turkish 40 w/ WAC HUD is possible.

Thank you. I felt sure it was a Block 40 as I couldn’t see any oval panels on the rear by the exhaust which normally gives it away for me.

The Turkish Block 40’s don’t all have reinforcement plates on the outside either.

Still need to know for sure if they had the GPS receiver or not though.

Edited by loki

I don't have anything to add - I do not see any GPS antenna in any of the pre-CCIP Turkish F-16 photos I have. As Habu2 mentioned, many Turkish F-16C BLock 40s do not have the WAR HUD - in fact, the relatively few airframes with WAR HUDs were primarily given to the two LANTIRN squadrons.

Edited by KursadA