moving a collection

other than "carefully" how would you do this? everything currently in heavy glass display cases. all I have so far are the Styrofoam packing peanuts in a medium sized Uhaul cardboard box.

You live in a place where the weather is fairly warm; one piece of advice is to ensure things don't overheat in the shipping container. I made the mistake of leaving about 15 models in the backseat of a car near Montreal in early May for two weeks. Even though the temp didn't climb that high (only into the 70s Fahrenheit), it was high enough in the car to warp wings, fuselages, and landing gear on most of them.

If we move in the next few years, I am considering taking my models in a separate trip, storing them at my son's place, then coming back for the rest of the stuff and finally retrieving the models after the move is completed.

ALF

You live in a place where the weather is fairly warm; one piece of advice is to ensure things don't overheat in the shipping container. I made the mistake of leaving about 15 models in the backseat of a car near Montreal in early May for two weeks. Even though the temp didn't climb that high (only into the 70s Fahrenheit), it was high enough in the car to warp wings, fuselages, and landing gear on most of them.

If we move in the next few years, I am considering taking my models in a separate trip, storing them at my son's place, then coming back for the rest of the stuff and finally retrieving the models after the move is completed.

ALF

Last summer I moved from Iowa to Indiana. I parted ways with about 200 of my built models, but kept 150 and moved them. Nearly all are 1/72, although about 20 of them are 1/48, including some "larger" ones like a TBM-1 Avenger and a couple of F-105s.

I moved them in plastic under-the-bed boxes filled with fiber-fill. I put a thick layer of fiber-fill down in the box, places as many models as would fit, and then filled the box with fiber-fill. The models were effectively encased and did not move, even under rough handling (I shook a filled box and then flipped it upside down to no effect). I then taped the lids closed, using a LOT of tape. That was my main concern...that the covers would come off and the contents would spill. I had the movers load the boxes into the semi, so I didn't even move them myself.

It was time-consuming, and a bit expensive, but it worked. Practically everything made it undamaged (including landing gear, open access doors, probes/antennae, etc.). A few bombs and missiles had to be reattached but that's not a big deal. I'd say fewer than 10 of the 150 had any parts come off.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I have had great success with 'chipped' foam. You can probably get from craft stores or maybe furniture shops??? I was using 4 cube boxes and would put about 6 inches of foam in first. Then models, then more foam etc until box is filled. As you or the movers are driving the foam will settle so don't be surprised to find a sizable gap when you open the box!!

The only two military moves I had with United ended up with claims against them for damages!!! But even though they tried once they couldn't damage the models!!!

I would pack/move my planes like this (see picture) and rig the boxes preventing them to bump when driving bad roads.

z_zpsqpynzyhd.png

Very similar to my method.

Get a 25mm thick styrofoam slab and cut to size to fit into a large box thus making a base. Then cut four styrofoam blocks to place under the models that will raise the model by about 5mm off it's wheels(I place one at the nose the tail and each wing Secure the blocks into the slab with cocktail sticks. Then work your way round the model pinning cocktail sticks against the model and into the base. I can normally get 3 1/48 kits into one box approx 30" x 20". I've moved my models 3 times now with very minimal damage, the last time with no damage.

I'll get a picture taken tomorrow which will make things alot clearer. Moved

• 2 weeks later...

many thanks for these great suggestions. I went with sturdy UHaul boxes with layers of 3-6 planes separated by pillow batting with a substance called "fiber fill" packed around each model. the boxes are being stored in a climate controlled facility until I can retrieve them.