06940%20003_zpsz3zzaj9w.jpg

Lockheed D-21B Mach 3 drone

D-21B%20002_zpsgpkg9lc3.jpg

Lockheed SR-71A Blackbird or Habu

17975%20006_zpsmmuvisa9.jpg

Lockheed D-21B and Boeing B-52H project Senior Bowl

Senior%20Bowl%20001A_zpsiw3dqksi.jpg

Edited by yardbird78

If this is starting in July, I could possibly participate. I have a Skunk Works MQ-9 on the shelf, as well as a Hasegawa S-3B (if that counts)

Yes, the Recce Bird GB starts July 1, 2016 and both the MQ-9 and S-3B qualify for entry.

Darwin

Finally getting settled into the new house and getting the hobby room situated, so I should be ready to go for this GB.

I'm planning on building a 1/48 Hasegawa RF-4C, and if time permits either a 1/72 monogram SR-71 or a 1/48 Hasegawa CF-104 with Vicon pod.

Mike

Edited by Ichitoe
  • 4 weeks later...

This looks to be an interesting GB! I tend to like to work on more unusual subjects for GBs, so I went through my stash this week to see what is available. Thinking really out of the box, would a weather imaging satellite qualify as a potential build for this GB? This would not be a military focused satellite but one used in tracking tropical cyclones. I have a bunch of UAVs that I could work on and also some RF-4s, but I suspect these will already be popular subjects. I do have a back-up subject to work on that might be a little different (Russian UAV) but I thought I would get creative. Any thoughts?

Have fun modeling

Mike

:cheers:/>

.... Thinking really out of the box, would a weather imaging satellite qualify as a potential build for this GB? This would not be a military focused satellite but one used in tracking tropical cyclones. Have fun modeling, Mike

Weather information is frequently very important to military planning and would definitely be called "intelligence". I'd say it qualifies.

Darwin

Outstanding, thanks Darwin! :thumbsup:/> This now makes the decision easy for me on my GB subject. I think it is very likely the JASDF makes use of the weather recon from this satellite but I believe it is officially a Japanese civilian satellite. Now to finish out my current GB in the Test Subjects GB so I'll have some room on my bench for this build.

Have fun modeling

Mike

:cheers:/>

I am guessing that Maverick's F-14A with Goose holding a Polaroid Swinger

camera won't work? So I have an Italeri 1/72 RF-4C/E kit on the way and am

hoping to do an early scheme RF-4C in Tan Son Nhut airbase Vietnam 1965.---John

27313613670_a2d425dc9f_z.jpgRF-4C-E Testors-Italeri 1-72 by jvandeu53, on Flickr

27499502706_2f94d05f01_b.jpgRF-4C_Phantom_16th_TRS_in_Vietnam_c1965 by jvandeu53, on Flickr

Edited by john53

I am guessing that Maverick's F-14A with Goose holding a Polaroid Swinger

camera won't work? So I have an Italeri 1/72 RF-4C/E kit on the way and am

hoping to do an early scheme RF-4C in Tan Son Nhut airbase Vietnam 1965.---John

Goose with a Polaroid would probably be stretching things a bit too far, but that early RF-4C would be great. My last of 3 tours at Tan Son Nhut was doing imagery analysis for RF-4C missions at the 12 RITS, 1970-1971.

Darwin

Thanks Darwin, so you were there with the SEA camo birds with the little

vents on either side of the nose, a bit different than the gray-white early

ones? I now know who to hit up for references.....:)---Thanks---John

I now know who to hit up for references.....:)/>---Thanks---John

Google is always your friend for references. I am somewhat familiar with the Phantoms and have a few reference books on them. I might be able to answer a specific question. There are several guys on ARC that are REALLY experts on the F-4 that are usually willing to answer questions.

Darwin

My other option is the original 1962 1/48 Hawk U-2 with resin goodies to

do a proper Gary Powers early U-2C. YES it does have the gold molded

stand! I also stole the slipper tanks from the Testors U-2C, which was

originally this kit. REALLY torn between this and the RF-4C, this with

the resin might take the full 6 months.---John

27002767673_80714f611a_z.jpgU-2 1 by jvandeu53, on Flickr

Edited by john53

Never having done a group build I was hoping someone could give me a short summary of what needs to be done to enter and such. This sounds right up my alley. Recce get short shrift in regards to the job they do and recognition. i am sure there is a faq i am hoping this will be quicker.

thanks

Geoff M

Never having done a group build I was hoping someone could give me a short summary of what needs to be done to enter and such. Geoff M

The Recce GB officially starts July 1. The moderators for the whole GB program will set me up with a few special posting and editing capabilities a day or two before the GB starts. There will be one post for entries. Just list your name and what kit you want to build. That usually includes name of the plane, scale, manufacturer and any other information you care to add. Each entrant usually starts an "in-progress" thread and adds to it as the build progresses. There will also be a thread for completed builds. Post 3 to 5 pictures of your completed build in that thread. You can go to any of the group build subjects and scroll through the various posts to see examples of what I am saying.

Darwin