F/A -18F question

Jeez, man...am I the only one who doesn't think an anniversary should mean getting done up like a two-bit tart??

AIRCRAFT anniversary, I mean.... <_</>

No, you're not. A lot of the "special" schemes put on USN jets lately have been pretty hideous, this one included. Seems that each squadron is trying to outdo the last in complex, flashy, schemes and most end up looking like, to use your words, two-bit tarts. Of course, that's just my opinion.

On the other hand, I love the special commemorative schemes. The more color the better. This one is on its way to me from Japan. I believe there's a great big spade on the top. If you don't like, don't buy it, don't model it. There's PLENTY of gray on gray battle birds you can model in the meantime. And looking at them will help put me to sleep.

In the real world, these commemorative schemes are short-lived. They may contribute to esprit de corps and recruiting somewhat, but most of them are attractive to air enthusiasts like me. And I like modeling them:

TMOAF-16Cwebcopy.jpg

HasFA-18Cweb.jpg

F-100C-2web_zpsfeboqhtk.jpg

P-47Dweb_zpstcdygtxr.jpg

It's not the fact that it's got color, Paul, nor that it's a commemorative scheme. The problem is that it's a brutally ugly, garish scheme. There's just too much there and it clashes. The squadrons have gone overboard trying to outdo each other, resulting in schemes that don't have class.

It's not the fact that it's got color, Paul, nor that it's a commemorative scheme. The problem is that it's a brutally ugly, garish scheme. There's just too much there and it clashes. The squadrons have gone overboard trying to outdo each other, resulting in schemes that don't have class.

I'm with you, Joe. Still, as in all things, to each his own.

I'm fine with a little color on a warrior, don't get me wrong; red slash on black-tipped tails of the Black Aces, yellow trim on a Golden Dragon, black tails on a Jolly Roger. Just not when it looks like a box of crayons melted all over the airframe....

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

24470229773_d1164b9455_z_d.jpg

25070768646_345db1abb0_k_d.jpg

I think it's a pretty cool scheme. I'm about 95% done with the 1/48 Hasegawa Super Hornet using the fightertown decals. Just need to add some weapons and the gear doors.

Edited by Vaildog