Aircraft you swore you'd never build then later did (or will)

This just took me by surprise, in the form of the F-102 I just ordered. Never in my life have I been even REMOTELY inspired by the -102 or -106.

Enter my dad, recently reminiscing about the Vermont ANG 102's always buzzing him when I was a baby in Burlington Vermont, when he worked for GE jet engines.

Enter a glance the same week at the Wolfpak sheet with the gorgeous green Vermont ANG markings from the exact same time period, and suddenly I can't get it out of my mind. Obsessed. Suddenly one of my most disinterested subjects becomes a must-buy. Fought the urge for a few weeks. Gave in. Waiting for the Meng kit to arrive now. <_<

When I spent 10 years doing the entire Jolly Rogers history I built many "never will" birds because they were part of the required history, and I enjoyed learning about them and gaining new appreciation. But this was different. As if I didn't already have enough in the stash.... :soapbox:

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Hornets. Both Legacy and Super.

I was avoiding them for years,,,,,,then when I hit on my "theme build", I realized that if I wanted to include units like VFA-136 and -137, I would have no choice if I wanted to have a complete set of squadrons.

A 1/72 scale vac form SBU-1...it has everything I am not interested in regarding model building:

1. Scale...I'm a 1/48 kind of guy.

2. Vac Form

3. Biplane

4. White metal parts

The "why"? A club project for a museum display of all the aircraft VF-14 Tophatters have ever flown.

How convenient!

F-16 has always been one of the least wanted kit on my bench. Yet, I've been reading internet reviews on Tamiya's 1/32 Viper for the whole afternoon! :) Such a gorgeous kit, that's the main reason.

Hornet is another example. Still, since it's our AF's main fighter, I bought the 1/72 Academy kit a few years ago.

An F-8 Crusader or an F-105 Thundechief. Never had any desire to build either plane but kits were given to me by a friend so I have built the Crusader and I am building the F-105 as we speak.

Any and all British planes. They bore me to tears. For some reason, however, I've really had the urge to build Monogram's Hawker Typhoon. That plane always did look sorta brutish and mean to my eyes. I have a $10 gift card for Hobby Town so I might stop by tomorrow after work to pick up the kit.

Pretty much all British jets. Never, ever, thought I'd be interested in them at all and the suddendly I'm building the Academy Hawker Hunter and purchased the 1/32 Hawks (both Revell and Kinetic kits) and the Airfix Lightning. Don't know what happened there but I'm finding I like these jets more and more.

Rob

Edited by galileo1

The one that'll never make it into my stash: F-35

That's exactly what I've always thought about the F-102 that's enroute to me now, which I can't wait to get. Strange world.

Come to think of it, the F-35 is one of those, too....and I intend to keep it that way!

A-6 Intruder. The Prowler had intrigued me when I was a kid but not the Intruder and it wasn't enough to really spark me into purchasing anything or doing any research. Yet that's my thing, I LOVE doing the research on the aircraft, units, time periods, battles, etc. It is also my weakness as I am less able to actually produce a finalized kit. Anyhoo back on subject, one of my favorite movies has always been "Flight of the Intruder" and yet it wasn't until I watched again recently that I said to myself ya know what? Why not? So I started looking at other builds and kits and turns out, they were beautiful! So I bought an older Monogram 1/48 kit (only scale I build so far) and some other tidbits for it. Haven't got to it yet but it's on the "to-do list"!

Edited by Whiskey

Never had a whole lot of interest in Luftwaffe WWII aircraft. But after a visit to the Udvar Hazy Center, my fiance took my to a hobby shop near by. After asking if I wanted anything, she picked out the Revell of Germany BF-109G-6 for me because she liked the way it was painted. So needless to say I'm building my first Luftwaffe aircraft, and kinda starting to enjoy it. It's been a good "break the modeling funk" I was in.

An ME-109.

It seems to be the single most popular aircraft to model based on the shear volume of kits out there, and new kits being released, combined with the number that show up at contests. Personally I've never had any interest whatsoever, but one year I found a Trumpter 1:32 kit at a show for just about nothing, so I built it just to see what all the hubb-hub was about.

Dsc_0727.jpg

Dsc_0725.jpg

Dsc_0726.jpg

I think it turned out okay, given my limited references on WWII German aircraft I built it 100% out of box and used the instruction painting guide. But I still don't get the fasination.