Flying Color Corogard Decals

I have been having trouble getting my set of Flying color decals Corogard to go on without wrinkling. I have gone through most of one set so far with no good results.

I have used the usual suspects Solvaset, micro set & micro sol, Combinations of all. I finally got the elevator ones on to look good using Future. But I am afraid that

the wings being so large that that may cause me issues. Not my first rodeo with decals or even large decals but this has me stumped, I have a good gloss coat down but

they wrinkle really bad and adhesion has been an issue as well. Anyone have suggestions or seen this before? Also te solvents seem to leave craters in the decal as well if

you leave them alone.

Thanks

Tom

Try not using any of the solutions. If you do, use Micro Set sparingly. At times I've use a small drop on my finger and gently smeared it to prevent wrinkling.

Good luck

Alex

Edit: another thing; make sure you have a very effective gloss finish before applying the decals. If there is the slightest imperfection, they will lift.

Edited by skidbuggy

Might be the way the way they were manufactured. I recall having the same problems with Flying Colors decals about 10 years ago. Even after they dried, I had to be careful picking up the model, because they would lift up at the slightest touch.

IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

This is what I am talking about. The decals are a year old at max. The first picture is where I stopped applying the setting solution. This was a Microset then Micrsol and finally Sovaset application.

Adhesion isn't problem after the Solvaset but the wrinkle spots are craters. I had a bunch of wrinkles on the Hawaiian 767 decals from them too but they were more manageable. Maybe it's the silk screening

processor he uses. Maybe the inks are to thick and the solvent attack them to much. I think I am going to try putting them on with Future,as that seemed to solve the elevator issues I had. Anyone have any tips for

doing such large decals with future? Maybe thin it with water so its not so strong? Just grasping.

From the looks of the picture, the Solvaset is too strong for that decal. Sometimes decal solutions need to be used sparingly. I hate to critique, but you would have been fine with just the Micro Set. I use Solvaset as a last resort on a tough decal that won't conform around tight areas.

That's a bummer. You may have to start that one over :(/>

Edited by skidbuggy

You can critique, and I am OK with that(why we're here) but know that it was not "fine" for these decals. The microset was used first. Wrinkles. Then I got new Microset thinking maybe my batch was old. Wrinkles. Then I used Microsol. Wrinkles. Then I put Microsol over the microset. More Wrinkles some slight "cratering" where the Microsol pooled. Then I used Solvaset to see if the wrinkles would bend to the will of that decal setting solution. See above. I also tried diluting the solvaset to make it less volatile in one attempt. I have also tried just straight Solvaset. The Solvaset was successful in making the wrinkles considerably smaller. Not my first rodeo.

I have been decaling for 40+ years this is the first time I have had a set of decals I couldn't get to settle down due to anything beyond my control. I certainly wouldn't have come here to ask for help if I hadn't experimented first. The Future as a decaling fluid is a very good technique I have used with great success on much smaller decals, as it starts to work fairly quickly I have reservations about it on such a large decal. Armor guys have been using it for years to eliminate the silvering caused by less than perfect gloss surfaces. The Microset also let the decals silver without much adhesion I flexed the wing and the decal popped loose. So that's how I know the results so far, and why I am here.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the same problem with coroguard and setting solutions. The trick that worked for me was a paper towel soaked in very hot water (just boiled) dabbed onto the coroguard. Careful though if you press too hard you can mar the paint. I believe the large area of the decal doesn't play well with the action of the setting solutions.

Best regards....Duncan