1/48 Hasegawa F-14A

Hey, Lee, Mr. Walt, Fighting Eighty-Four, thanks, guys!   A bit more progress....

3BgdVbn.jpg

This is the batch I'll use for the RIO's port side.   The rods look more straight than the earlier one.   I noticed my eyes stay blurry a lot longer these days since I started making the circuit breakers.   

tQWvBRg.jpg?1

I've tried different ways of cutting them evenly.  At one point I tried to cut by batch but made more mistakes that way.  So I resorted back to cutting them one by one.

66AryZG.jpg

These breakers come from the first batch.  I've learned a bit about making them straighter, more even, and shorter since I made the first batch so the second batch might actually turn out better. I would've used thinner rods to pack in even more breakers but found them more difficult to handle.   These rods are 0.25mm.

Fb2o3VN.jpg

Xwwq1Ci.jpg

The first batch breakers look pretty good at normal viewing distance, but not when blown up like this.

XP7OAA9.jpg

The port side one is the original Hase part for comparison.   The kit part should actually suffice if I didn't have this obsession about circuit breakers.  I don't know what's gotten into me. 

2MyHVp6.jpg

Excuse the backrests - I pried them off for modifying later.

jg4FR9F.jpg

PJDtJG2.jpg

I have to shave down the rear wall a bit  -- so that the breakers can sit a bit farther back. 

Edited by crackerjazz

Thanks, John!

aOprwuC.jpg

Turned my attention to the Hasegawa seat's backrest which has sides that are too flat, making it look boxy.   I figured it could use a little carving.

a8KvQLj.jpg

These areas can be sanded down a bit to round the edges a little.   And where the padding meets the backrest I could dig a little canal to bring out the padding a little.

69jcCAD.jpg

sTwDYHM.jpg

O4WmwNc.jpg

For the canal I made several passes of the tip of the blade for a nice deep crevasse.

ZgI4CCe.jpg

For the cover on top of the backrest I cut up some poop n scoop. 

g0OZsmN.jpg

I used some Tamiya tape for the straps going along the sides.  A lick of paint and the cushion pops out.  The Hasegawa seat looks a bit better now :)

Edited by crackerjazz

Hey, Steve, Lee, thanks, guys!

uHKVADt.jpg

Creating a new bulkhead

6cdGAtY.jpg

At first I tried cutting up thin styrene rods to depict the blades for these vents?  Not sure what they are for.

A8sOCXQ.jpg

2upLNjS.jpg

I noticed they had rounded backs from some photos -- made those too.

axROV1z.jpg

kPAnJj3.jpg

mJVFMVT.jpgI

Then I thought maybe it would be better to put in angled plates instead of rods.

uylodDS.jpg

gMF4jCi.jpg

2Nif5KT.jpg

I'll test these and see if there's any real difference.   When viewed from afar you don't really seem to notice any difference between rods and angled plates.

Edited by crackerjazz

I'm sure you are all tired of this never-ending story of the kit cockpit but here some progress pics anyway, if just for my documentation.

bQCjQsy.jpg

Did some pipework as well as the left-hand side vinyl cover and the box on the right.

GydyhK5.jpg

CNG985B.jpg

14EecVk.jpg

I'll try painting the figures next -- keep delaying that for fear of messing up.   But everything's all messed up anyway so I might as well do that to reach my immediate goal of closing up the fuselage halves.

Edited by crackerjazz

Not tired of this at all. Your doing some really great stuff here, it's all looking really good. When this thread goes on for almost 4 years, like someone I know doing a Big Cat, then you can talk about people getting tired of the " never ending " project.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I for one, can not get tired of the things you guys do! such a source of information and inspiration! keep both builds going that there are some of us keeping an eye on your work even if I don't say much!

On 2016-11-19 at 2:48 PM, crackerjazz said:

I'm sure you are all tired of this never-ending story of the kit cockpit but here some progress pics anyway, if just for my documentation. ...

So what's taking so long?  :thumbsup2:  Just remember we're trying to achieve quality, not quantity. :bandhead2:

My only complaint with long builds is that when I restarted my builds after a long downtime, I always ended up reworking what I had finished months ago ... never satisfied.  Two steps forward & one back.

Hey, kike, John, you're still watching, thanks!   And thanks for the encouragement!  As for me, when my project draws on too long I start losing interest -- really dangerous since the project often just draws to a halt --- which I'm hoping doesn't happen this time.   And for projects with a long hiatus, I just totally forget where I'm at  : (   

Got  a bit of progress done ---  I repositioned the RIO's head to make it look a bit more natural.  Amazing how the smallest gradation in head tilt and neck position changes the posture so much.   I pulled out a new arm from the stash and reworked the RIO's left hand.    Shaved off the glove, excised the thumb, and cut a notch so I could hook up his hand onto the handle and cut off just the portion I need, right along the wrist.   As for the thumb I was supposed to just reposition it  but I ended up losing it as usual.  I made a makeshift thumb from apoxie sculpt, which will need a  bit more tweaking.

JYJJJLp.jpg

Mp1XEWT.jpg

ewaYBku.jpg

O4Eb2if.jpg

TnZYTux.jpg

HYbZQ77.jpg

3ptxc8W.jpg

NG9iwup.jpg

zGthVDA.jpg

wO7bFSJ.jpg

I think I'm getting there --    closer to closing up the forward fuse halves.   Got a question -- does anyone know where the oxygen hoses connect to?   I'll have to rework those as well.  Thanks for looking!

Edited by crackerjazz

Cool work there crackerjazz, nice attention to detail. I know what you mean about a project dragging on but, stay focused and soldier on, remember it won't get finished unless you work on it, stay the course because this display will be wayyyy cool when it's completed.

Steve

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Steve, thanks for the encouragement!   I just hope it doesn't take me another year : )

93DP7RQ.jpg

Ju0YUvk.jpg

0AHFiB7.jpg

CvR8jIZ.jpg

Xf8O9ma.jpg

lDUIdsD.jpg

Surprise!   Not much remains visible once the canopy is in place : )   I'll have to take some shortcuts on the other 'cat!

GAiWQFF.jpg

qsG5QZd.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz