1/48 Hasegawa F-14A

Hi Ant, Steve, Yank, Aigore, Jester!   Thanks for watching guys!  Really appreciate the your kind words!  :)

I seem to have hit a snag with the canopy frame and defogger.  There seems to be good elbow room for the aircrew  judging by these pics:

wYzeTon.jpg

19InzmY.jpg

ieprk92.jpg

qaDao46.jpg

yiBiTgp.jpg

But on the model there isn't much space around the crew with the canopy frame in place.

qsG5QZd.jpg

Even on the Aires cockpit the frame can't reach the sill.  The RIO's IP coaming gets in the way.

ORN8Pzc.jpg

So I cut up the frame;  I'll see what I could do to make more elbow room.

cuT6Nbw.jpg

ZcAba51.jpg

7Fxs9rP.jpg

I'm also having a hard time bending the PE part with the rearview mirrors and getting it to fit the inside of the canopy.   It's not shown here but I made a mess with the CA glue.  This is after sanding/buffing/dunking in Future a second time.   Future helps keep the canopy from fogging up using CA glue but I'll have to be extra careful next time.

Edited by crackerjazz
On 2016-12-06 at 7:28 PM, crackerjazz said:

I had the same canopy problems on my VF-74 build.  The canopy wouldn't fit over guides I added to the canopy rails, & my scratch built defoggers interfered with the IP coaming.

To fix the  clearance problem, I initially tried to remove some of the material from the inside of the canopy, but damaged the canopy beyond repair.  I ended up using a spare canopy from a Revell kit & carefully, very carefully, doing major surgery (removing material from the inside of the canopy & scratch building the area where the canopy meets the fuselage) to give more clearance.

161ModifyCanopy.jpg

The end result didn't turn out too bad.

346%20Port%20Bow_zpslb64g4nh.jpg

335%20Yaw%20String%20Rain%20Vent%20Canop

Also, I used a trick I found on another build to assemble the mirror PE mirror parts, that worked out really well.  I bent the PE to as close to the canopy shape as I could.  Then I cut thin strips of thin Tamiya masking tape the width of the PE, & CA glued the strips (adhesive side up) to the back of the PE parts.  I painted the mirror side of the PE & used a black Sharpie to color in the edges of the tape.  The PE parts were then assembled to the canopy using the masking tape to stick them in place.  The tape is hidden by painting the outside frame on the canopy.  I also had to trim the mirror PE ends back so they wouldn't interfere with the PE side frame parts.  One of the benefits of using the tape is you can move the PE parts around to locate them just right.

Hope this helps.

John

• 2 months later...

I got around to attaching the forward fuselage  : )     i'll take care of the canopy later.

fsOvL1I.jpg

It will take some work to putty and sand the seams.    I guess I got really lucky on the previous Tomcat.

89PDyjG.jpg

jdJzwjU.jpg

9nw8cmF.jpg

hB2AJFO.jpg

Hi guys, thanks for following!   :)    

I've been sanding down the seams on the forward fuselage.  It's going good so far.

yAiDsMu.jpg

There are more surprises, though.    I'm testfitting the nozzles before I work on the cans.   I may have to file away some material from the beaver tail for the nozzles to fit right:

wuEH3qo.jpg

YqZglEY.jpg

I sanded down this area around the nozzle where the 2 parts meet as it "balloons" a bit.

CtZsHDx.jpg

BK9a6Fj.jpg

UIfpTw7.jpg

Hi Aigore, Fefster, thanks for your kind words!  :rolleyes:

Some progress with the nozzles.. and a little setback.

hnmAJqk.jpg

nksD1px.jpg

Had to file some material from the nozzles of Tomcat 1 at the mating area.

5VquNB6.jpg

And had to do the same thing for Tomcat 2.   This was worse.   Had to file away lots.

EBa88Bk.jpg

JOZjdhx.jpg

which will require rescribing.

wBtYuIq.jpg

bBIAc43.jpg

10rrClv.jpg

mBu5PYm.jpg

a2pE6f0.jpg

YfX6Cwh.jpg

uWvDcaV.jpg

iYnKc7w.jpg

The nozzles will need rescribing and repainting.   I'm wondering what other surprises are lurking around the corner.   I know the canopy will need some sanding along the side where it joins the fuselage -- I'm not looking forward to that.  Next time I build a Tomcat it will really be a Tamiya :(

Edited by crackerjazz

Awesome! How did you paint the nozzles and the cans (paints and colors)? One of the best I've seen on any scale. Not too metallic, not too dark, not too monochromatic. Just perfect in my eyes. 

Edited by Janissary

Hi Fefster, thanks!  Yes the kit requires loads of patience. Great progress on your cat!  Are those alignment tabs in the back?   Hi, Janissary, Stalal, thanks for the kind words!  I primed the nozzles with Tamiya light gray primer, and marked areas of the middle ring and the petals here and there with a sharpie marker, then hand-painted the whole thing with Alclad polished brass.  I couldn't get an even color because of the hand-painting and the primer lifts in spots so I have to re-dab it.   The sharpie black kind of mixes with the lacquer paint so I have to brush on and re-dab.   I try not to get too much on but the Alclad is forgiving in that it kind of levels down thinly as it dries.   For the insides of the nozzles I used acrlylic white and tried weathering one with soot and gray Tamiya weathering master powder.  Still experimenting between that and straight black though.

26 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

Hi Fefster, thanks!  Yes the kit requires loads of patience. Great progress on your cat!  Are those alignment tabs in the back? 

Yes! It was a difficult area to glue and sand, I put a plasticard strip internally to give it more hardness, better support the rudders and easily stretch the GE F-110 engine fairings that Hasegawa makes too short.

Exhausts look amazing. Surprised how much work they took to fit. I've never had that issue. The are 'handed' tho. The left won't fit on the right and vice versa. Hate to suggest, your fit issues look like that's what caused it...

keep El up the great work. These will look amazing when they're done!

brian

Just now, Darren Roberts said:

Great work, but it reminds me once more why I don't ever want to touch another Hasegawa Tomcat if I can help it.

I agree, Darren. Now Tamiya is the boss waiting for the AMK kit.

Can I ask how your progress on the Pre-production Cat is going

11 hours ago, Fefster said:

I agree, Darren. Now Tamiya is the boss waiting for the AMK kit.

Can I ask how your progress on the Pre-production Cat is going

It's going pretty well. I'll post pictures in a few days. It kind of stalled out with the end of school coming up. Getting the kids ready for state testing and finishing up projects is a bit time consuming. I also have to build 11 models for VFA-211 before June, so that's taken up most of my bench time.

23 hours ago, Mr.Happy said:

WOW 😳 

That burner can work is amazing 👍

What at brand of paint did you use for the burner cans and what colors ❓❓❓

Very nicely done 😎

Cheers,

Mr. Happy {In name only }

Scroll up 3 posts from your original post...he already described the whole process!!

Edited by Bob Beary
clarification