1/48 Hasegawa F-14A

It was an amusing day today -- For weeks I'd been haunting old shops for another Hasegawa Tomcat. But having no success I'd been thinking that ebay would be my only recourse. Then today I decided to look for private sellers and, lo and behold, I found someone selling a Hasegawa F-14A that was practically a neighbor. A 20-minute drive, actually, but still amazing. And for a good price, too. He had the ad up since early February without any takers - I guess because his ad was titled "MG Gundam." Why that was is a mystery to me - but would have explained the lack of buyers and thus my luck.

ZZ4226x.jpg

When he showed me the box it looked old and yellow. But these are the finds that excite me. They bring me back in time.

UAGTKYh.jpg

p8jgft3.jpg

7qIZICB.jpg

I don't know if "New Tool" meant anything different from the original 1981. But it was a 1988 boxing.

5CIs869.jpg

8y8m9fB.jpg

The old manual showed those side panels that weren't on the new manual. I doubt it will help with the fit, though.

DmiR9iJ.jpg

The parts looked really good -- all intact and complete.

Hey, Tom, good to see old boxings, right? I should have framed some of my old stuff -- the box art were fantastic.

Some progress with the Aires pit:

JUdMS8V.jpg

GgBDRev.jpg

VM6NHlS.jpg

fTlAVSm.jpg

qrkYUA3.jpg

Those firing handles -- I got lazy --- I excised them from the kit seats and glued them onto the Aires. When I start on the other kit I'll paint more firing handles. Also started fitting the legs into the Aires pit. Hey I noticed from this side by side photo that my IP painting has improved a bit. The one on the left looks like it came fresh from the boneyard :) This new one ---- also from the boneyard but wiped down! :)

Edited by crackerjazz

Thanks falcon20driver, Steve, Aigore! My mistake -- I don't know where I got "1981" from. The product timeline from here mentions initial release as 1988, but I've seen same boxings that don't say "new tool" -- so there must have been an initial one? But I read VF-154 didn't get their Tomcats until 1983 so, yeah, it couldn't have been 1981.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/115184-hasegawa-07018-grumman-f-14a-tomcat

Hey Crackerjazz, Great build up on the F-14 so far. This is one of my favorite aircraft to build. One question though, does your kit come with the extra sprues of the different versions of Beaver tails and Vertical Stabs you cane use? If so I was wondering which one's you would not be using and if I could aqquire them from you. Thanks and keep the pics coming.

Chris

More work on the figures...

DTYPEGk.jpg

One hand on the grab handle and the other hand on the canopy while trying to get a veiw of the the agressor's position.

My RIO figure's pose won't be this extreme, though, so I'll try to put his right hand on the canopy rail.

yQpmruB.jpg

I5nrBb5.jpg

YszT9gl.jpg

Sn5wzZx.jpg

gUNwx7e.jpg

wjX1Kju.jpg

Had to cut the legs too as they just won't fit around the RIO console.

OXasfvH.jpg

U3LFAEW.jpg

6m8ktkt.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

I5nrBb5.jpg

You're gonna do WHAT?!?!. :lol:

That is some serious surgery and planning on the scenario, and in case I missed it, this is going to be a gear up build correct?.

Edited by #1 Greywolf
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi tomcatsforever, Greywolf, thanks! :) Yes, I'm planning on an in-flight build. I've managed to get the main gear covers on but now I know Darren's Steel Beach gear covers would have saved me a lot of hassle.

qWt3eIW.jpg

ylRuPs3.jpg

BbjID5b.jpg

The pitfalls observed by others who have built the Hase 1/48 are slowly becoming clearer to me now and I'm anxious to see what other issues there are. But somehow I'm not as worried as before -- because I recently discovered the Tamiya and AMK threads! :) (where have I been hiding!) It gave me the courage to plod on with the Hase and not be too worried about building a perfect model, knowing there's a new line of Tomcats.

In the course of examining the Hase parts, I observed that the panel lines on the Hase look hand-scribed. I didn't really notice until I took a magnifying lamp to it. It's not really something you will notice on normal viewing but I guess it's something you won't see on modern kits.

PjPB6Kj.jpg

ruln1HQ.jpg

LHkZR5u.jpg

Y1DwF21.jpg

lQ1lflf.jpg

GyLJXh5.jpg

7LcmB3x.jpg

If it`s only that... it looks to me at the edge of the acceptable issues... After painting and weathering it should not be visible even from close... I mean that it`s not worth it to rescribe all these tiny miniature elements, but if it is all over the model... hm, interesting. :)