1/48 Hasegawa F-14A

ad6FBDo.jpg

Had some time to attach the forward fuselage section. I tried out David Aungst's method, although I was able to put just two alignment tabs on.

jYnVgvT.jpg

7Iagzu3.jpg

T7tCxqW.jpg

This part doesn't lay down flush to the surface. Had to shave off a portion from this area.

ls9CYDi.jpg

Now it's good.

7tLUgOY.jpg

8bits6A.jpg

This area will need a bit of sanding.

93AK2kx.jpg

This area too will need some fixing. Tried to align A and B well but C will need to be corrected. I guess it's an issue every Hase F-14 builder has had to deal with.

utojkIW.jpg

ntthPX8.jpg

Starting to look like a tomcat now.

Lookin' good! You got a better fit in the fuselage join than I did. Nose join looks very good, and the intake trunking fit looks excellent. Also noticed you got the front of the intakes that come to a point fit perfectly. After a ton of work I still couldn't get mine to look that good.

Well done!

Hi Falcon20driver, Fighting Eighty-Four, thanks! I hope the other Tomcat turns out ok. Take 2 always scares me -- whereas other people become braver having done something before, I'm always worried I couldn't match the previous one. Hey, Fighting Eighty-Four, thanks for the support and thanks for the cellphone shots tip. What a joy using using the phone for taking progress shots! The technology crammed into these things nowadays is amazing, isn't it? Hi Steve - Wow, those are the kind of friends to have! His build article and walkaround photos are an invaluable reference!

• 1 month later...

Man, I missed this place!  Did some construction of my own while the forums were under maintenance.  Worked on the wing gloves to get rid of the wing gap:

6dmp4gV.jpg

0tudKqs.jpg

Yt6yOar.jpg

oAPqSsN.jpg

Sawed off this much from the pivot pins.

sIbI0QD.jpg

tyO8PmV.jpg

Qnh19in.jpg

The wing glove undersides' cross-section seemed more rounded towards the edge than what's on the Hase so I sanded them down a bit:

GcV5T0y.jpg

YQZW4fV.jpg

mncJqXW.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

wPzlI4U.jpg

Gap are gone and the wings seals are nice and tight.  The wing gloves look thinner now, compared to their previous unmodified incarnation..

D0i5tru.jpg

dnsX4rb.jpg

2U93pzs.jpg

0H0TMrk.jpg

I decided not to get another Aires for the other Tomcat and just modified the kit's RIO instrument panel. 

b5Ct6uV.jpg

Borrowed some poop n' scoop from my real F-14 -- Whiskers -- to make the canvas boot.

Yb4872z.jpg

FTad2NR.jpg

VCO3Yqb.jpg

For the IP, I took a photo of the Aires RIO IP and glued onto styrene:

NwlEM9H.jpg

qY0sNav.jpg

NwhYnGr.jpg

hVZxKU5.jpg

S4VlQEd.jpg

Um0fwFv.jpg

R7Ba06b.jpg

sIWoBjY.jpg

And made some telephone cord for that candlestick-phone-looking-like thing on the RIO's right-hand side.

rz5c7Cw.jpg

mafsx5B.jpg

ftdabyz.jpg

2YHIBmn.jpg

9JQ2ZFF.jpg

jewggZY.jpg

Had to reconstruct the top of the coaming.  I broke a huge chunk off trying to reposition the glued-on IP.

ZnhG21D.jpg

xSq7ibR.jpg

Test-fitting...

rdIZLKz.jpg

bTVMu7M.jpg

Made a new grabhandle for the RIO.

Edited by crackerjazz

Hi Lancer512, thanks for the kind words!  Myfav'sareFs, thanks!  A-10 Loader, would've loved to see those!  Falcon20driver, I know what you mean now about this kit - wish I had a Tamiya.  Hi, John, -- your work inspires me to keep going. 

wMIaBT8.jpg

PnfJ34k.jpg

Test-fitted onto the 1st Cat.

DMHBBKI.jpg

Turned my attention to modding the Hase kit's seat for the 2nd Cat.  Tried adding some detailing to make it look like a proper ejection seat.  There's this plate on the back of the seat that's quite visible and without it the kit seat looks empty.  There are good shots of it from David Aungst's walkaround.   And this shot from noseartguy:

5m3To9Y.jpg

So I drew up a model based on some photos I see to serve as a pattern for cutting up some styrene strips and rods.  

6zmKMCX.jpg

HYqBtSe.jpg

DwPvbQH.jpg

gjO9sAC.jpg

ay1NgDT.jpg

zlXmRgZ.jpg

Tub needs a lot of filling work.   I know I should've just gotten an Aires cockpit for this 2nd Cat, but I'm way in too deep to back out now.   I don't know about other Hase F-14 builders but somehow I had to shave off some of the kit's tub sides to fit into the fuselage properly.

Edited by crackerjazz

Absolutely outstanding work. It's a pleasure to see your scratchbuilding skills, which are truly phenomenal. I will say this. After building the Tamiya Tomcat and being reminded just how much work the Hasegawa kit it, I'll never build another Hasegawa kit...ever!