The Zvezda kit is the one to look for in 1/72. There was a Hasegawa kit (OOP), which I have in the stash, and older Airfix kit (OOP) of 24As but the Zvezda is the best. Check your references as to early/late as discussed in the link Tank provided but the Zvezda is certainly the best starting point.

Cheers

Bruce

Edited by RCAFFAN
  • 3 weeks later...

Dimilitarizing = removing the guns!

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks. Noticed the cover looks different between the museums (those looked the same) and the University. Any reason for that?

It wouldn't be wrong to have an active flying bird with the guns removed and a cover plate, correct?

The easiest way to demilitarize something is to simply remove the gun. If you want to demilitarize a gun properly it takes time and money! Only then would it be possible reinstall it in a museum piece. The Russian museums don’t have the resources to do this. Still there are few examples here and there inside military bases or overhaul factories where they had/have them almost “complete”. Well even there many “souvenirs” are removed even if it is inside a military guarded place (mostly by the military themselves).

On museum airframes you will see a wide variation of bits and pieces of metal sheets applied to cover any holes left behind after “demilitarization” / cannibalization. Dibt base your kit on them, unless you want a diorama of that particular heli at the time when it was already demilitarized.

In the Ethiopian Air Force they still have some ‘square’ nosed 24’s but they are trainer helicopters. There were many different versions of the early version and even in service examples you will see a very wide variation as to how the nose looks like!

Best regards

Gabor

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

Since we are talking about A's.

While looking at Ken's 24A photo's someone asked in regards to this photo,

mi-24_05.jpg

for the elevators did they cover them in canvas or another material? It doesn't appear to be on later models but I don't know about the early versions. Since we have talked about tail rotor flipping, maybe it changed with that or at some other time. Meaning that they started as fabric but after being worn out replaced with metal.

Edited by Tank

The elevators have canvas covers on all versions of Mil helicopters that I have seen: Mi-1, Mi-2, Mi-4, Mi-8 /-17 and Mi-24. They are covered with the buff coloured stuff, a resin is added which makes it watertight, on the bottom drain holes are added, on top and bottom strips added and with the help of holes on the frames the canvas cover is sewn to the frame. Note it is always as smooth as if it was metal, there are no indents between ribs! So from modeling point of view it looks exactly the same as if it was metal.

I have no idea what is the status at Kazan or the Ulan Ude factory at the moment on new built 171 or 24 versions but I have seen some overhauls and in few cases thin sheet aluminium was used. This would apply only the very recent airframes certainly not for the 24 A models.

Best regards

Gabor

The elevators have canvas covers on all versions of Mil helicopters that I have seen: Mi-1, Mi-2, Mi-4, Mi-8 /-17 and Mi-24. They are covered with the buff coloured stuff, a resin is added which makes it watertight, on the bottom drain holes are added, on top and bottom strips added and with the help of holes on the frames the canvas cover is sewn to the frame. Note it is always as smooth as if it was metal, there are no indents between ribs! So from modeling point of view it looks exactly the same as if it was metal.

I have no idea what is the status at Kazan or the Ulan Ude factory at the moment on new built 171 or 24 versions but I have seen some overhauls and in few cases thin sheet aluminium was used. This would apply only the very recent airframes certainly not for the 24 A models.

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks Gabor.