Comparison of Black basing vs. Pre-shading

BB is not a magical technique in my book

I think that's the thing that bugs me most about this argument: no single technique is magical. There are no silver bullets

It's just a bit much when you see models with every single panel line and access panel slavishly pre-shaded.

Mentioned this in the other thread on this topic, but this is a criticism of the application of the technique, and shouldn't be used to trash the technique itself.

I think that's the thing that bugs me most about this argument: no single technique is magical. There are no silver bullets

This is what it all comes down to for me. It's in the same line as one of my friends, who quite literally, taught me everything I know about modelling. He always told me that there is no right or wrong way to do things. I may show you a technique and you will either do it the exact same way and get good results, or you will tweak it, make it work for you and get good results. I've honestly tried a few different painting techniques and to me, they all had merit and they also had certain applications where they worked and where they didn't work. I've seen a handful of guys, Pete "Pig" Fleischman (?), being one of them.....he did alot of pre-shading on his models, and he did it so well, that it just looked right. In the end, it's going to come down to your individual skill level and your keen eye.

Well that's just ridiculous. The Verlinden method was a magical silver bullet.

And then black panel line washes, after we all decided the Verlinden method was crap.

And then pastels.

And then pre-shading.

And then post-shading.

And then salt chipping.

And then pre-shading again.

And then pre-shading PLUS post-shading for good measure.

And then pin-washes.

And then filters.

And then whatever that 'streaky dabs of oil paint' thing was called.

And then black basing.

Edited by MoFo

Well that's just ridiculous. The Verlinden method was a magical silver bullet.

And then black panel line washes, after we all decided the Verlinden method was crap.

And then pastels.

And then pre-shading.

And then post-shading.

And then salt chipping.

And then pre-shading again.

And then pre-shading PLUS post-shading for good measure.

And then pin-washes.

And then filters.

And then whatever that 'streaky dabs of oil paint' thing was called.

And then black basing.

I Loled.

I need to try some of these, I've only used about half of the above

After we have spent weeks, months or even years building and painting a model, it's really, really hard to "mess it up" with weathering, be it post-shading, dark washes, salt weathering, etc. If you screw it up, you screw up the whole model, so there is a tendency with some modelers to do the minimum or maybe no weathering at all.

This is exactly why I'm not into weathering. Yet! I've tried on a couple occasions and just totally screwed the pooch and ruined what was an otherwise good build. Sooooo, I just tend to build with a factory fresh look. It also helps when the customer that you are doing commission work for doesn't want any weathering. :rolleyes:/> And Chuck, I would love to be able to paint and weather just like your Phantom example!

• 3 years later...

Hold thread resurrections, Batman! I'm late to the game here. Just happened to find this thread by chance looking for another. I'm a diehard USMC Phantom Phan & I rarely have problems finding pics of the 1:1 Rhino I want to model between my vast library & my dad's old pics from his long time career as a Phantom driver. (when he can find them.) I weather based on what I see in the pics particular to the decals I have for that bird especially if they are in color.  I don't see preshading as too relalistic when used all over the airframe. Postshading over a black base coat with various tone (quite tedious) looks more real. The You can run some panel wash & widen the effect to replicate fluid escape. And, finally, some artistic license makes it a lot more fun the more you study highly used airframes, especially such ones in contiuous combat operations. Have fun!!!! 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

I'm dissapointed that in the years since this thread, there hasn't been another major weathering tecnique to argue about.

Have different weathering techniques come to an end!?!?

😂

First off, black basing isn't a "new" technique as it's nothing more than a variation of pre-shading which has been around forever. Here is a more recently developed weathering technique called "texturing" and is championed by Bera Karoly:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bera+karoly+models&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj40d6V4sDhAhWVqp4KHSUuA1UQsAR6BAgIEAE&biw=1920&bih=937

There, now we have another technique to argue about!!!! 

21 hours ago, DDC said:

I'm dissapointed that in the years since this thread, there hasn't been another major weathering tecnique to argue about.

Have different weathering techniques come to an end!?!?

😂

My latest and greatest is to just throw a hand full of dirt at my project and call it a day!