"Heavies" GB  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a bomber GB?

Here's a curve ball for you.......

C-130Htc68Armado.jpg

HERCULESPODCARGADO.jpg

TC-68 flew five missions as a bomber, and participated in two attacks, one in which one of her bombs hit the tanker "British Wye", thee fell into the sea without exploding. The second attack was on the British tanker "Hercules", one bomb striking the bow mast without exploding. "Hercules" was later attacked and sunk of the coast of Brazil.

Edited by Johnopfor

I am inclined to think it should be limited to multi-engine purpose built bombers. There are lots of choices, and lots of kits in different scales to satisfy the tastes and space constraints of most modelers. This way we can have models ranging in size from 1/72 B-25s all the way through 1/48th B-1s. It can also be as small or as large a commitment as each modeler wants, a quick build of an old Airfix 1/72 kit from the bottom of the stash, or a monogram monster.

This. There's a zillion other group builds for Tornado, Eagle and so on.

Shane

If I remember correctly, many many moons ago there was talk of an ARC "Heavies" GB (I am going back to somewhere in the 2005-2008 time frame). The general consensus way back then was heavy bomber specific aircraft (aircraft with absolutely no lineage to a previously designed fighter or any multirole aircraft like the F/A type modern stuff) and heavy lift transport aircraft (which included helicopters like the Chinook, Skycrane etc). I believe medium bombers were also considered as long as they were designed from the outset as pure bombers. The idea was to get subjects and kits not often seen being built rather then many of the usual subjects/kits. To my knowledge the GB never happened for whatever reason and never made it past the initial discussion. At least not in an official capacity. Too bad really as it would be neat to see some larger bombers and kits being built and displayed. However, under such conditions as those mentioned earlier in this post, the C-130 with bombs on it would cover two criteria...a heavy transport AC AND a bomber...:lol:!

:cheers:

Edited by Don

Here's a curve ball for you.......

C-130Htc68Armado.jpg

HERCULESPODCARGADO.jpg

TC-68 flew five missions as a bomber, and participated in two attacks, one in which one of her bombs hit the tanker "British Wye", thee fell into the sea without exploding. The second attack was on the British tanker "Hercules", one bomb striking the bow mast without exploding. "Hercules" was later attacked and sunk of the coast of Brazil.

WHOA! :jaw-dropping:

Must get Italeri kit!

I am inclined to think it should be limited to multi-engine purpose built bombers. There are lots of choices, and lots of kits in different scales to satisfy the tastes and space constraints of most modelers. This way we can have models ranging in size from 1/72 B-25s all the way through 1/48th B-1s. It can also be as small or as large a commitment as each modeler wants, a quick build of an old Airfix 1/72 kit from the bottom of the stash, or a monogram monster.

My thinking is along the same lines as Kurt.

This. There's a zillion other group builds for Tornado, Eagle and so on.

Shane

What they said. When I think of heavy bombers, the aircraft that come to mind are Lancaster, B-17, B-24, B-29, B-36, B-47, B-52, B-1, B-2, He-111, FW-200, etc.

My $0.05 worth as we no longer use pennies in Canada (also adjusted for inflation and exchange rate!)

Mike

A couple of years ago, I hosted something similar to this. Only thing was that I included attack aircraft and fighter/bombers as well. I would like to see maybe bombers and cargo aircraft only. The group build that I hosted didn't really turn out that well because of all of the various sub types I allowed. I think it would be better and maybe easier for the hostsvif only one or two types of classes of aircraft were included.

Maybe bombers and transports? Two engines or four? Ground attack aircraft that have limited air to air capabilities? These questions were raised during the discussion on the dropping iron group build that I hosted. I think maybe a "weight limit" should be established to better help what can be allowed as to bombers and transports.only problem I can see with that, though, would be that some modern ground attack aircraft can weigh as much as a ww2 bomber. Thoughts on this?

Maybe bombers and transports? Two engines or four? Ground attack aircraft that have limited air to air capabilities? These questions were raised during the discussion on the dropping iron group build that I hosted. I think maybe a "weight limit" should be established to better help what can be allowed as to bombers and transports.only problem I can see with that, though, would be that some modern ground attack aircraft can weigh as much as a ww2 bomber. Thoughts on this?

Gets hellishly awkward for the moderator. He'll spend more time counting the number of angels on the head of a pin, splitting hairs and mixing metaphors than taking part in the build.

As soon as you make one exception on a contrived justification they come flooding in with no-one sure at all what qualifies. And as someone (you?) said, the GB can wilt from want of any actual focus. Surely the entire point of a GB is to get people enjoying modelling the same or closely related subjects, no seeing just how far it can be stretched?

Shane

100% agree. That's the problem I ran into when moderating the dropping iron group build. It was just going to be bombers, but then I started allowing almost everything and started to become a real headache. Attack aircraft, fighter bombers, transports used as bombers, even helicopters were discussed. In the end, I said screw it, any fixed wing aircraft that can drop a bomb. Just to get the group build back on track and make the rules simpler for me to figure out. I think this one should be simple. A heavies group build for me is like the B-17, B-29, B-1b, B-52,ect. And transports like the C-5, C-17, 747 freighter and most four engined passenger aircraft like the A380, A340, 707,ect. Anyways, it's up to the moderator as to what he wants to allow. I'm in regardless.

I'll put in the request later today. We may have been undercut by a strike GB so idk when this will start. Since there's a strike GB I'll keep it to primarily bomber aircraft. That said I'll still include the F-117, A-6, F-111 and similar aircraft. No missiles though. Preferably we want multi engine earth movers though. If you want to hang bombs from a c-130 I'm for it. That's a big bird that doesn't often get built.

K

I'll put in the request later today. We may have been undercut by a strike GB so idk when this will start. Since there's a strike GB I'll keep it to primarily bomber aircraft. That said I'll still include the F-117, A-6, F-111 and similar aircraft. No missiles though. Preferably we want multi engine earth movers though. If you want to hang bombs from a c-130 I'm for it. That's a big bird that doesn't often get built.

K

G'day Kris,

I want to publicly apologize if the Strike GB has caused any ill feelings within the group. My feeling was that this one would go hand in hand with each other.

regards

Brendon

Just a suggestion, perhaps ask for this GB to start 3 or 6 months after the similar GB. That way your not directly competing for those who only build one plane every 6 months. This way we get two successful GBs and not 2 with only a couple completed each.

G'day Kris,

I want to publicly apologize if the Strike GB has caused any ill feelings within the group. My feeling was that this one would go hand in hand with each other.

regards

Brendon

No worries. Maybe they can run simultaneously? Build your bombers here and your strike/support aircraft there? Could be an interesting concept.

Classic 1/48 Monogram/Revell B-24D here. Nothing fancy, mostly OOB except decals (not sure of the markings yet) and some seatbelts and ammo belts.

This should be a dandy GB :thumbsup: .

Don.

I wonder if anyone will enter this HEAVY by HPH models? It only costs about 450 Euros! There are several abandoned air bases in the US and UK with empty hangars. Maybe "they" would be willing to rent one to store this thing?

XB-70%20001%201-48%20by%20HPH_zpskh3vdxvl.jpg

http://www.hphmodels.cz/index.php/en/shop-2/produkty-hph-models/modely-v-meritku-1-48/xb-70-valkyrie-in-scale-1-48-detail

Edited by yardbird78