Headlight Trim Film to replicate HUD opalescence

Maybe too thick for scale model? If it's thin enough it would look great. Now what I have used for a long time is ribbon for wrapping presents. I found some at Hobby lobby that was very similar in that it changed colors as the light hit it as you viewed it from a different angle. AFV club has come out with something as have Hasegawa. can't remember off hand what they call it...For 10 bucks it's worth a try. and if It not go ahead and use it for the intended purpose and "Pimp Out Your Ride" :rofl:

Maybe too thick for scale model? If it's thin enough it would look great. Now what I have used for a long time is ribbon for wrapping presents. I found some at Hobby lobby that was very similar in that it changed colors as the light hit it as you viewed it from a different angle. AFV club has come out with something as have Hasegawa. can't remember off hand what they call it...For 10 bucks it's worth a try. and if It not go ahead and use it for the intended purpose and "Pimp Out Your Ride" :rofl:/>

Thanks for the leads on the other products - they are expensive. This product is made by Axe Vinyl - their website gives thickness of 140 Microns or about 0.0055 Inches, which seems OK for 1:48 especially if applied to 0.010 or thinner acetate

I am using this HUD film:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUD-FILM-1-1-48-1-72-1-32-1-35-heads-up-display-iridescent-film-Aircraft-/161979139739?hash=item25b6b5869b:m:m_J3BcFtD5_ndwFadYgPQDQ

Very thin and really useful to replicate HUD displays.

Used it for my Rafale M:

g26.jpg

I loved your Rafale on BM - which is where I got the idea. Further research ( and your link - thanks ) indicates that this is "probably" iridescent cellophane wrap or film - a craft store item ( Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or even Dollar Tree in the US) for way less for an entire roll - just have to find the appropriate color(s). This is way thinner than the auto product - probably in the range of 50 microns - much more suitable for modelling HUD's. I'll check a few local stores and get back.

HUD film

Edited by falcon04

I use confetti that I bought at a dollar store for HUDs. It comes shredded, like the plastic "grass" you'd see in a gift basket, and a dollar bought enough to last me until Doomsday.

I thought that stuff only came in star shapes. Wasn't aware they had it in that form. I use that stuff for cockpit MFD's (if they're large enough).