Fündekals 1/72 F-106s... another sneak peek!

Here's a very short-lived F-106 unit that's never been done in decal before - the 83rd FIS, July 71 to Jun 72 at Loring AFB, Maine (replacing the deactivated 27th FIS).

Screen_Shot_2016_02_29_at_8_21_33_PM.png

Edited by Jennings

So far I have come up with around 28 different profiles that you have posted for the decals that are in the works for the Meng F-106 and from the response there seems to be a lot of people ready to hand over some cash, myself included.

So the question is when can we expect to see examples of the actual decals sheets so we will know which aircraft will be included on the different sheets, assuming you are not going with 28 aircraft on one sheet?

Thanks

Jim Barr

Here's a very short-lived F-106 unit that's never been done in decal before - the 83rd FIS, July 71 to Jun 72 at Loring AFB, Maine (replacing the deactivated 27th FIS).

Screen_Shot_2016_02_29_at_8_21_33_PM.png

Wow.. never seen that one before. What a great subject.

So wish we were talking 1/48th scale here.

Jennings,

Is this the CO's Bird?

It's Maj Gen. James Price, commander of he 21st NORAD air division circa 1971. The ADWC bird from Tyndall is also his. Both were named "El Jefe".

Note that these are being done primarily to illustrate a new F-106 book being written by a friend of mine. The decals will come, but the work has to be done before they can go to print. I don't have a specific date, but as soon as we do, I'll let you know.

The jury is still out on 1/48, but don't lose hope. This will be a big project all the way around.

So far I have come up with around 28 different profiles that you have posted for the decals that are in the works for the Meng F-106 and from the response there seems to be a lot of people ready to hand over some cash, myself included.

So the question is when can we expect to see examples of the actual decals sheets so we will know which aircraft will be included on the different sheets, assuming you are not going with 28 aircraft on one sheet?

Thanks

Jim Barr

Actually we do intend to do them all :)

Actually we do intend to do them all :)/>

Great news, I think. Please in small batches so my wallet can recover :) I am speaking of 1/48 here so I think I have some time to squirrel away the funds. Oh and probably by then Meng has upscaled their wonderful kit. I live in hope :D :D

I've done it, including a never before documented marking on the gun capable birds! I haven't posted nearly all of what I've done here.

This won't be one huge sheet. Probably more like 3-4 different sheets in 1/72, plus the stencils.

The Tyndall jet looks great :).

Would it take much to add the blue section with stars forward of the rudder stripes for a later version?

This is one of those subjects were there are just so many nice choices of markings - that it'll be hard to narrow it down.

Or what if..... :)/>

Screen_Shot_2016_03_01_at_5_06_31_PM.png

Ok this is just so nice and I am not a big fan of low viz schemes. However somehow it really works on the F-106 for some strange reason. Maybe it is because it is something that did not exist? Or most probably my silly love of all things "what-if". :thumbsup:

You could even jazz it up with some kill markings or maybe intercept markings under the canopy in red stars for a touch of colour?