1/32 F-4S, VMFA-112, Heater-Ferris Scheme

Here is the opening of my next project, a Heater-Ferris Phantom!

Here is the exact aircraft I will be building... although I will load her up heavily with the LAU-10's and Mk.20's as already prepared in my now defunct F-4J build. There are some nice pics on the web showing VMFA-112 jets flying with live Mk-82's to the bomb range, so I think it's not too much of a stretch to really load this F-4 up.

Key to the project will be the GT Resin conversion set, I will be covering the application of this in some detail.

Before starting construction, I thought I'd start a little storm in a teacup by hypothesizing that much of the common knowledge of Heater-Ferris F-4S colors is somewhat wrong. Here is what I mean (original pic is from Wikipedia and has no apparent copyright):

F-4S_Phantoms_Naval_Reserve_1983%20-%20Copy_zpshx5c0qig.jpg

I have spent many, many hours looking at Heater-Ferris Phantom pics and at this stage am pretty sure of the above, that is that the "mirror image" of the standard F-4 Heater-Ferris scheme used slightly darker blue-grays (the lighter gray are consistent).

Much more to follow.

:cheers:/>/>

Marcel

PS I will finish the Growler just as soon as I get back home, stuck in the mountains with bad weather right now...

Edited by Marcel111

Thx guys!

I can't wait to see this one Marcel! Good luck :D/>/>

I might need a "Tamiya-break" soon too if you know what I mean... ;)/>/>

-Anthony

Ha, I sure do! On the Growler kit, even things you just don't think could ever be a challenge, like the reclining angle of the seat matching the corresponding angle in the cockpit tub, turn out to be little adventures. Not on this Tamiya gem.

Cool! But what happened to the "J"?

Chuck

I really like the Heater-Ferris scheme plus it's nice to do the ultimate Navy/Marines Phantom version, so the J build has turned into this build. I will be using almost all the work I did for the J on this S, apart from the corrected MERs.

Here is a good overview of the Heater-Ferris scheme on VMFA-112. I will be doing "03" and not "04", there are minor differences on the camo boundaries between the two. And as noted above, I believe the color designations are slightly off on the above drawings (should be FS35109, FS35164, FS36307 & FS36375 from left to right in the top view), including the colors of the intake-side stars & bars and intake warnings (should be FS36307 and not FS36375 at least for "03").

In other Phantom news, I really like what Scale Aircraft Modelling did with their March cover:

sam-38-01%20low%20res_zpskzspbrtc.jpg

Since it's my Chico I'm very partial to the cover anyway, but the SAM guys very much make things come alive imo.

:cheers:/>/>

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111