Since a few people started sharing their good news stories, i tought i would share mine.

On january the 9th, after 2 years of trying, my fiancée and i welcomed our daughter into the world.

For both of us it's our first child and we fell instandly in love with her.

One problem did occur, namely that since she is born i have had no time to do any model building what so ever.

That did not stop me from buying the zvezda 777-300ER and the Revell Embraer E195.

For now i will be content on spending some time with my daughter who has been and still is the greatest gift we recieved.

It's all fun though in the end. I'm basically a stay home parent since I work quasi 3rd shift so I was home all day with my girls while they grew up. When they were babies it was easy and pretty boring due to all the naps. Once they got mobile and stayed awake all day things were different.

Now they're 8 and 5 and both in shook all day so theoretically I have all day to do whatever which is nice.

You'll find time somewhere but enjoy the kiddo.

Congratulations on your new addition, however years of modeling will never, repeat NEVER be as rewarding as spending a few minutes, with your daughter, multiply that over a lifetime and you'll find that mangling plastic is/was just another one of life's offerings. A warning don't go into denial when she wraps you around her pinkie, and you start to wonder what happened to your bank account (don't ask me how I know <_< ).

:ditto:/> Couldn't agree with Greywolf more!! Before kids, I built a good dozen models a year. Now that I have kids, I'm lucky if I build three or four a year and I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. When my two little girls came along, they instantly became my little princesses. My favorite sound in the world is when their sweet little voices call me "Daddy". I'm am totally wrapped around each of their pinkies!

For me, it was at least a year between the birth of my kids and the time I was able to start work on a model. I think it gets a little easier as time goes by. Now that they're 8 and 12, they go to bed early on school nights which means Daddy can have a little workbench time in the evening.

My kids don't have much of an interest in building models but they do like the ones I build. I've lost track of how many dinosaurs, planes, cars and ships they've asked me to build for them. It all works out really. For now, enjoy being a dad! It'll be the best job you'll ever have!!!

Eric

PS: Also, give into the fact that, in a few years, you, too, will be wearing nail polish and hair clips. LOL!

Edited by echolmberg

Well in Belgium you get 10 days of as a father and before the childs age of 12 you can take 4 months unpaid leave (you get a small amount of money from the government) that your employer can't deny. I took 1 month this febuari to support my fiancée in taking care of the baby and to experience her growing up. Best decision of my life. She grows up so fast. She gained a third of her birthweight i just 6 weeks. Just amazing.

Maybe this weekend i'll find some time to build models. I swear, arranging visits from familymembers and friends almost takes as much time as taking care of her.

Congrats....it is a fantastic experience having kids.

There is always time to model. My wife and I arranged it so each of us could have 1 evening off each week to hide out in the basement. When the kids were young the basement was off limits to them and locked. They didn't even know it existed. I had a modelling area set up down there. :D I worked evenings and did the kid thing all day long....so I appreciated 1 evening to myself each week to unwind. My wife also had 1 evening each week of peace and quiet. We use to refer to the basement with the code word "sanctuary". ;)

Enjoy and congrats! You will always have modeling. The plastic will be the same decades from now as it is today but your kids are only ever babies, toddlers, and young once. Honestly TIME FLIES so soak it all up! My oldest is 13 and my youngest is 7 and I have NO IDEA where the time has gone. None! But I'll take watching baseball practices, horse shows (my daughters passion), music lessons, and all of their other activities any day over sitting alone in the modeling room. Actually I made myself a portable workstation to sit and enjoy the family while still getting some modeling done. You'll adjust and you'll still get some modeling time in.

:cheers:

Don

Thanks guys for the advice.

Of course i have and will put my daughter in first place. She keeps winning me over when she smiles (after she farts :D).

As SBARC stated, my fiancée and i are trying to give each other some space when either of us needs it. It could be that i can go to a modeling competition this Saturday. We were discussing to go together with our daugther, but there are no facilities (read: a place to sit down) for breastfeeding a small child.

We'll see how it goes. For now, i'm on diaper duty.

Edited by streetstream