Led Zeppelin 720 from Roden

I picked up the 1/144 Roden Boeing 720 with Led Zeppelin livery recently and just started in on it.

IMG_9415.jpg

Link

Now I see why the reviews were so tepid - a very challenging paint scheme when what could have been decals require paint.

I was wondering if there are any completed examples of the kit OOB. Whenever I search it seems that people bail and go with a more sane paint + decal solution.

It can;t be that the one I'm building will be the first.

Can it?

I was pretty disappointed when I saw the decal sheet. I looked through the box certain there was another decal sheet, then I looked at the instructions and it directs you to paint most of that paint scheme. the kit looks good, I just figured maybe someone would release a better decal sheet someday.

Good luck with your build. That s going to be a tricky paint job with the multiple fades.

Edited by Kurt H.

The kit is extremely mediocre at best. They replicated all of the scribing from the top wing surfaces on the bottom so it has spoilers top and bottom. The engines are pretty much complete fiction, and there are panel lines all over the place that don't exist on a real 720. Nobody's going to mistake it for a Spitfire, but that's about the best you can say for it.

Challenge accepted. I'll take an intricate mask and paint job anytime over tricky construction.

IMG_20160228_204345414.jpg

I'm not much of a rivet counter / panel measurer so I can't tell if it does or doesn't look like a 720. I'll take your word for it.

I just wanted to pick up something for cheap and maybe pass it on to a Zep fanatic friend when I finished it.

Fade 1 complete.

Unfortunately to do fades 2 and 3 I can't see anyother way than to paint with a least a certain amount of decals on. Will be tricky but I'm more than halfway there.

Edited by nickdanger

Fade 2 complete

IMG_20160305_214032436_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160305_214037428_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160305_214246009.jpg

Need to mask the four skinny pinstripes and paint the reverse of the fade 2 (yellow at the tail and brown by the nose).

After that home free - few decals and call her done.

Edited by nickdanger

@Exhausted - thanks. Like I said, I don't so much mind tricky masking and taping jobs. Here's one from a few years ago that took a couple of days to mask and then just needed to spray for 3 minutes and I was done:

IMG_9537.jpg

IMG_9538.jpg

But the Zeppelin project: pinstripes are done.

IMG_20160307_211304928.jpg

IMG_20160307_211059671.jpg

Decals going on:

IMG_20160307_220456938.jpg

Decals (including the incorrect registration number which I could not fix with anything from the spares box) are done:

IMG_20160308_212418286.jpg

Final assembly next and I'll have, perhaps, the first OOB Caesar's Chariot.....

WOW! Amazing work there. I have this kit and wouldn't have tried that paint scheme in a million years. Hats off for tackling and getting it done right! 70.gif Can't wait to see the finished build.

Edited by Drifterdon

"Took my chances on a big jet plane, never let them tell you that they're all the same. "

Fantastic work. I am inspired, but I know I couldn't pull it off. I would like to have both the Elton John and the Zep birds. I'd do either or in 1/72

Robert Plant has a home in my city so maybe I can uhhhh, hand deliver it? I know he's doing a couple shows out here soon.

One of them is going to be live streamed!

Edited by Exhausted

Thanks for all the kind words.

The model itself is only a couple dozen pieces so it can go together pretty quick. While the masking is a pain, it doesn't take all that long since it's mostly straight lines.

Couldn't resist the 60s filter. Reminds me of some of the pics I found online to use as reference:

n7224u_3.jpg

One final sunset themed pic....in the evening, when the day is done.

CIMG6244.JPG