The Blue Angel Diamond landing

For years I've told others who are Blues enthusiasts that they used to do a Diamond landing. Not a soul ever believed me. Well, after going hunting, I finally found a video to prove it. The whole show is a lot different than today's, but there it is at 17:55. I feel so vindicated!

Cool! Wonder why they stopped doing it???

I recall seeing them in '86 at NAS Brunswick, first season with the F/A-18A and they were lined up on the flightline in their typical fashion, only they had the wings folded. That's the only time I have ever seen that.

EDIT: that would be 1987, not 86...they switched to 18s at the end of '86.

Edited by 82Whitey51

Cool! Wonder why they stopped doing it???

I recall seeing them in '86 at NAS Brunswick, first season with the F/A-18A and they were lined up on the flightline in their typical fashion, only they had the wings folded. That's the only time I have ever seen that.

I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend.... They spoke to LCDR Mark Dunleavy (a slot pilot) about why they don't do it. Dunleavy's response was that the top brass was very concerned about a tire blowout on landing causing a major catastrophe.

BTW, I'd love to see a video of them taxiing out with the wings folded. They should definitely re-incorporate that!

Edited by Micro

A Blue Angels show I saw in New Orleans back in either 85 or 86 with the skyhawk had them doing a 3 ship diamond for the show. It was either 2 or 3 that was out, don't remember exactly. That was a Sunday show, Saturday show 4 ship diamond. I do remember thinking there must have been some serious break downs happening that day. There were also 2 blue A-4F skyhawks parked away from the lineup but had no tail numbers. Wish I would have had a camera that day.

Dunleavy's response was that the top brass was very concerned about a tire blowout on landing causing a major catastrophe.

Valid concern.

tire11.jpg

NAS Pensacola

I was at this show and both his main tires blew during the landing and he spun off the runway.. In that photo above, he's 180 degrees into his spin.

Edited by Trigger

A Blue Angels show I saw in New Orleans back in either 85 or 86 with the skyhawk had them doing a 3 ship diamond for the show. It was either 2 or 3 that was out, don't remember exactly. That was a Sunday show, Saturday show 4 ship diamond. I do remember thinking there must have been some serious break downs happening that day. There were also 2 blue A-4F skyhawks parked away from the lineup but had no tail numbers. Wish I would have had a camera that day.

In 1999, they lost the #3 man along with his upcoming replacement (LCDR Kieron O'Connor & LT Kevin Colling)during arrival maneuvers in GA (they were in a "B" model). The following weekend was their NAS Pensacola Homecoming show. They flew the show with the #4 slot pilot/jet taking the #3 wing spot in a 3 ship "diamond". They kept the #3 jet parked at the center of the flight line. I have photos from this show kicking around somewhere.

I saw a show in the late 80s where one of the solo planes and one of the diamond planes stayed on the ground due to medical issues with the pilots rather than mechanical issues with the planes.

Minimum 12 hours from-bottle-to-throttle

200_s.gif

Edited by Trigger

I've seen a few shows in the last five years with a 3 ship diamond from both the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds. I also saw one BA practice with one diamond and one solo out for maintenance. As mentioned, it can be the pilots - if they are sick there is no one to replace them.

The PA announcer explained it as one pilot had an ear infection and another a sore throat. Both could be severe issues with pressure changes in flight.

Makes sense. However, in recent years, the Blues have been known to rampage past their cutoff time.

Makes sense. However, in recent years, the Blues have been known to rampage past their cutoff time.

Now wait a minute, hold on. Are you suggesting that Naval Aviators might partake of any alcoholic beverages before flying? Surely you jest! I'm shocked...shocked I tells ya! :whistle:

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

On the subject of the Blues, there is an FB page that has some really nice pics of the Blues back in the A-4 days (lots of nice pics of other aircraft as well, circa 70's - 80's).

I really like this:

Is it me or are those two jets flying verrrry close together?