Cleaning dust of your models

I gave up on displaying models in an open bookshelf for this very reason. I now have a closed display cabinet with glass doors and lighting. Best part is the furniture purchase was encouraged by SWMBO.

Prior to that, I used canned air and a very soft and fluffy makeup brush pinched borrowed from my beloved. :whistle:

One tip from the stick and string ship modeling community: saliva on a cotton bud is Very Good at removing stubborn dust. Something about the interactions between the enzymes in your saliva and the dust. A 2nd pass with plain water on a cotton bud will clean up the now dust-free model.

I'll have to give those tips a try...sad to say but the dust is on fairly good and compressed air alone isn't working..I defenatly need a proper display case soon! My wife is actually a makeup artist so let the brush stealing begin haha

i use my airbrush to clean them... using only air. i use a fairly powerful compressor, i must admit.

but i plan to get glass display case, because the less i touch my models, the longer they'll survive...

I gave up on displaying models in an open bookshelf for this very reason. I now have a closed display cabinet with glass doors and lighting.

I have models in Detolf glass display cabinets from Ikea and they STILL get covered in dust. Granted it is better than open shelf displays but I have been disappointed in their dust-protecting capabilities.

detolf-glass-door-cabinet-brown__72928_PE189178_S4.JPG

I have models in Detolf glass display cabinets from Ikea and they STILL get covered in dust. Granted it is better than open shelf displays but I have been disappointed in their dust-protecting capabilities.

detolf-glass-door-cabinet-brown__72928_PE189178_S4.JPG

it's quite disappointing to read that, as i was planning to get some of those very cheap Detolf for displaying my models...

i'll still get some, cos they're price wise unbeatable items...but have to find out how to improve things in that area...

Like Habu2 wrote, mine are also in enclosed cabinets and dust still finds them. Now, they stay relatively dust free much longer then in an open bookcase type cabinet and I do recommend an enclosed cabinet. I dust them about two to three times a year and I use different sizes of medium stiff NEW paint brushes that I keep only for dusting purposes. Tilt the model on a slight downwards angle, start at the high end and work downwards. If it's REALLY dusty (which is rare since I went with the enclosed cabinet), use a Swiffer dusting cloth to CAREFULLY remove the heavy dust and then switch to the paint brushes for the rest. Perhaps more time consuming then what some others use, but I have 30+ year old builds still looking good and no broken or lost parts.

HTH

:cheers:

Don.

Well, you don't want the case hermetically sealed; you do need some air exchange. But, we're talking a small hole, not, say, a long hinge gap.

I have a Waddell Heritage floor display case. Does a great job on display and dust avoidance.

I was also looking into those ikea shelves due to their very reasonable price point. Thanks for all the tips. I defenatly need some sort of cabinet as I display mine in the same room I work on the kits so ya they see some dust.

For cleating the best is to get a good quality blush brush, for any makup department, its purpose is to trap dust and works wonders.

Has for the detolfs, i love them, ive actually double the shelving in one of the useing hight presure hose clamps and glass . but my beat achivement is my double detolf, using 2 of them i cut and merged the bases wotch makes on uge diaplay case.

For tgose of you that still find duat xomming in, you can get shower clear splash gard that are made to go on glass and go around the door with it, it will look just like the plastice corners installed in the back of the case

For cleating the best is to get a good quality blush brush, for any makup department, its purpose is to trap dust and works wonders.

Has for the detolfs, i love them, ive actually double the shelving in one of the useing hight presure hose clamps and glass . but my beat achivement is my double detolf, using 2 of them i cut and merged the bases wotch makes on uge diaplay case.

For tgose of you that still find duat xomming in, you can get shower clear splash gard that are made to go on glass and go around the door with it, it will look just like the plastice corners installed in the back of the case

Thank you Neo for those useful inputs70.gif

...i was tackling that idea about a double Detolf also... now you convince me to do so... in a not so distant future.

Search the web for "dust-proof Detolf" or something along those lines. Lots of people have modified their Detolfs to get them dust-proof and have posted pics and how-to's online. :thumbsup: