Flying Leathernecks Decals - Looking for opinions on new sheets

Gentlemen,

I am about to send two new sheets to the printer. One is a done deal (To be announced later), the other is still up in the air. The second sheet that is up in the air will cover the F/A-18A and/or the F/A-18C.

Here is what I would like your opinions on. Two sheets I have drawn cover specific squadrons, namely VMFA-323 and VMFA-312. The 323 sheet is all Hornets and the 312 sheet covers Hornets, a Phantom and a Crusader.

Would you prefer the sheets as they are drawn, or would you rather have a sheet with multiple options from different squadrons? I currently have enough artwork drawn that I could have a sheet with 12 F/A-18A/C Hornets from different squadrons and time periods.

Let me know what you think

FL48023%20VMFA-323_zps4xk7hc5y.jpg

FightsOn-1.jpg

Dave,

As I have aged, I prefer the "historic" aspect of doing multiple aircraft types from one squadron / air group on one sheet. For instance, I am planning on building several 1/48 models of all the different aircraft flown by the 366th Fighter Group / Wing from WWII through today. This involved ~12 decals for 13 aircraft. I am also building ~8 A-4 Skyhawks from USMC Reserve squadrons. In this case, only three decals were involved.

The exception to this might be a USMC KC-130F/R/T/J sheet, as only a handful of squadrons flew these and two sheets in 1/72 should allow every aircraft to be built in every c/s. After all, how many KC-130s would any one modeler build? But then again, when I was younger I built over 50 1/72 F-4 Phantoms and over 35 1/72 F-104s, so all one type aircraft on a sheet with multiple squadrons / services may also be appealing to some. Back then, I would buy a Microscale decal with 5 or 6 different options, then wait for the Squadron Mail Order monthly sale flyer to buy 5 or 6 kits on sale. Now, I'm mostly into 1/48 scale for the fighter size aircraft and 1/72 for the larger transport, MARPAT aircraft. I attribute this to my "advanced" eyesight. Don't know if I helped you, but I prefer the "historic" approach.

R/

Dutch

Edited by Dutch

To me it's important that it is more than just the CO's jet on the sheet please.

Suggestion though;

I assume these are scaled according to Hasegawa's 1/48 Hornet and Phantoms?

How would they match up with the upcoming Kinetic Hornet (and Academy F-4 Phantom)?

Would it be better to go with the VMFA-323 for now until this can be clarified, as the tail markings for this unit seems less dependant on kit size?

Other than that - 2 excellent choices that are underrepresented on the decal front :thumbsup:

So I will add some comments to amend my previous reply.

I guess Dave is asking us a "Value" question. Would we value more of a particular type of aircraft of various units on one sheet over various aircraft types of one unit? If I like a particular aircraft and one sheet has several cool color schemes, then I would be tempted to buy and build that sheet. (Which I have done plenty of.) If I want to build a particular "history" project for a unit or group build, then multiple aircraft of a unit on one sheet would appeal more to me. ( I have done that too, but not as much.)

I guess it's a conundrum. So my suggestion / mantra is to print them all, print them often and print them in multiple scales!

R/

Dutch

I always thought a squadron history sheet with multiple airframes would be a good seller.

Agreed. The VMFA-312 sheet is more appealing to me personally as it would allow me to build and display three different aircraft from the same Squadron at different times in it's history. But that's just my two cents.

Nice looking sheets!

Regards,

Don.

I'd buy that VMFA-323 sheet in a blink of an eye as I've been looking for Death Rattlers markings for F/A-18 for ages and there's absolutely nothing out there. Hope you're gonna release 323 sheet just the way it is mate.

Cheers, Miro.

Dave,

I'd really like to see that VMFA-312 F-8E all on its own with one or two other early (F-8A/C) Marines Crusaders. There are lots of very colourful early Crusader markings but it would be a matter of popularity, of course. Muroc Models does really nice conversions for early F-8's but I don't know how popular the subject matter is.

Cheers,

Tom

Dave,

I'd really like to see that VMFA-312 F-8E all on its own with one or two other early (F-8A/C) Marines Crusaders. There are lots of very colourful early Crusader markings but it would be a matter of popularity, of course. Muroc Models does really nice conversions for early F-8's but I don't know how popular the subject matter is.

Cheers,

Tom

I'm looking at that as an option. I may very well remove that F-8E and add it to a sheet dedicated to the Crusader. Here is an option that I already have drawn and laid out on a sheet that is in progress. VMF(AW)-251 from their 1962 cruise aboard the USS Shangri La is also in work.

F-8E_VMF-323_150323_zpsdd7a8155.jpg

I'm looking at that as an option. I may very well remove that F-8E and add it to a sheet dedicated to the Crusader. Here is an option that I already have drawn and laid out on a sheet that is in progress. VMF(AW)-251 from their 1962 cruise aboard the USS Shangri La is also in work.

F-8E_VMF-323_150323_zpsdd7a8155.jpg

Very nice! Your decals will be designed to fit the Hasegawa Kit?

Tom

Very nice! Your decals will be designed to fit the Hasegawa Kit?

Tom

Yes, the Hasegawa kit.

Do tou have a prodile for the ac that you are showing on your decal sheet that has the black and white checker tail a la Big beautiful doll?? Im really intregued

This one?

F-8E%20VMF-312%20150675_zpsu8zu0v0v.jpg

Absolutely great looking sheets Dave, lotsa options...if I may ask a question, is there a chance you might do a sheet for Squadrons no longer doing duty, ohhhhhhh....such as VMFA-333 :whistle: and/or others that we don't see on the Flightline anymore. I won't go nutz and ask for a Phantom sheet, though that would be the churchs' bells, naaah I'm thinking recently like C hornets, :hmmm: If I could just find where I put that 231 Harrier sheet I'd be dancing in my wheelie.

Edited by #1 Greywolf