Flying Leathernecks Decals - Looking for opinions on new sheets

I second VMFA-115, in low Vis markings please!

Affirm, low vis for all three F/A-18+/++ squadrons. Also, the same VMFA-312 markings above have been done already by SuperScale & Authentic Decals. They are way too colorful.

Masterguns

Any chance seeing those VMFA-323 CAG markings in 1/32? TIA

Yes, the Command Jet from 323 will be done in 32nd scale.

How about some F/A-18A+/++ from VMFA-314, VMFA-115 & VMFA-112 on the same sheet in 1/48 and/or 1/32 as well?

All three squadrons will be covered, but not on the same sheet.

VMFA-333 jets would be nice!

Trip Trey from ODS will be on a sheet I'm working on that covers all of the ODS USMC F/A-18A/C/D squadrons.

Affirm, low vis for all three F/A-18+/++ squadrons. Also, the same VMFA-312 markings above have been done already by SuperScale & Authentic Decals. They are way too colorful.

Masterguns

Superscale never covered that jet, and I'm not concerned that Authentic covered it. I visited MCAS Beaufort prior to 312 going on the boat and personally photographed, and physically measured every marking on that bird. My art work is dead on accurate in every aspect.

All three squadrons will be covered, but not on the same sheet.

Superscale never covered that jet, and I'm not concerned that Authentic covered it. I visited MCAS Beaufort prior to 312 going on the boat and personally photographed, and physically measured every marking on that bird. My art work is dead on accurate in every aspect.

Dave,

Thanks for considering the VMFA-112, 115 & 314 F/A-18+/++ jets. Not all being on the same sheet is no biggie. Do you plan to release them in 48th, 32nd or both? 48th would prolly be more popular route I'm guessing. SuperScale covered the VMF(AW)-312 Double Nuts F-8E BuNo 150676 on sheet #48-282. That would prolly be a rather old sheet by now since the SuperScale sheets are now in the 1200's or higher by now. The other bird on the same sheet is an F-8E from VMF(AW)-232 BuNo 150871. Neither have provision for RHAW gear so I'm assuming they were the early Vietnam deployments for both. I have the sheet & it's still in excellent shape. The artwork & printing is adequate. I'm guessing it's for the Monogram kit but they might fit the newer Hasegawa. I dunno. I'm sure a new release of the -312 markings would be welcome, but just FYI.

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

Gunny, you and Dave are talking about two different aircraft types.

The clue is "before they went on the boat",,,,from a guy younger than I am,,,,,,,,he must be talking about F/A-18s, not F-8Es.

Superscale #48-282 is for an aircraft that "didn't go on the boat",,,,,they flew to Japan and then on to Vietnam,,,,,,before either Dave or I were Marines.

The clue is "before they went on the boat",,,,from a guy younger than I am,,,,,,,,he must be talking about F/A-18s, not F-8Es.

Superscale #48-282 is for an aircraft that "didn't go on the boat",,,,,they flew to Japan and then on to Vietnam,,,,,,before either Dave or I were Marines.

That very well may be the case regardless of aircraft type. However, I was specifically referring the VMF(AW)-312 decals having already been done by SuperScale. I dunno which sheet Dave was referring to, so I just clarified the F-8E sheet being the same as the one he drew up. I was referring to for FYI. It's no big deal, just clarifying which jet I was referring to. The VMFA-312 Sheet with the colorful markings referring to I was not. You tracking? In acy case, the SuperScale sheet is old & Dave's work on the Crusaders & Hornets will prolly end up being better for the current Hasegawa kits. I just want a F/A-18+/++ low vis bird from VMFA-112, -115 & 314 since no one else has released such markings for those squadrons in 48th.

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

Yep, I thought he was referring to the 312 Hornet as he mentioned both SS and AD. Regardless, I don't care who else has previously released decals of subjects I want to cover (with only a couple of exceptions).

Hello,

I'm biased toward these 2 sheets, I'm waiting them since several years.

Hope you will release F/A-18A++ and F/A-18 multi squadrons.

VMFA-115, VMFA(AW)-242 need some coverage.

During one of my many trips to MCAS Beaufort, I was also able to photograph and measure the markings of VMFA-115's F/A-18A's after they returned from OIF in 2008. Through Facebook, I was also able to obtain photos of an aircraft that had an Eagle painted on almost the entire upper fuselage.

Once I am satisfied with all of the art work I've been drawing, I will start putting sheets together and getting them released. As I have always said, I put quality over quantity.

The point was not solely the fact of which company has already done certain markings or to stroke one's ego. The point is that folks keep remaking those same schemes without much deviation. I know some decal makers "don't care whose done what" but a a lot of business is driven by a balance of what customers want, the perceived sales potential, market trends & various other strategies & models. But anyway, I'm partial to VMFA-115 since my dad flew F-4Bs with them in Vietnam & again a couple decades later with them in the F/A-18A. One of my son's also flew Hornets with them in the late 2000's. I spent much of young life climbing in & out of Phantom & Hornet cockpits & spending time in the hangars & on the flight line at Beaufort while my dad was stationed there & five outta my seven kids are or were Marine Hornet or Harrier drivers, a couple of which were also stationed at Beaufort. Ah...Beautiful Beaufort by the Sea! Anyway, It would be great to see a current or fairly recent + or ++ from VMFA-112 & VMFA-314 along with the mentioned Silver Eagles. I think these variants are neglected subjects in USMC low vis colors & if you don't get the word of interest out there then you'll never know if anyone will make them. THe Wolfpack Decals guy told me last year that he would be scaling up his 1/72 VMFA-314 F/A-18++ markings to 1/48, but he hasn't returned my e-mails for the last six months or so. Now here's another opportunity to get popular squadrons & the +/++ variant printed. We shall see.

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

Edited by Gunny

Dave, you may have noticed that I haven't said anything about which way you should go with your releases. Even though you asked for opinions in this thread.

There is a really good reason for that.

It is because I know that these won't be in my scale anyway, and I don't think it would be fair to say anything that would influence you and "skew" the deal for the people that are your customers.

This is one of those deals where my opinion doesn't matter, so I don't have one.

I do agree with your statement that it doesn't matter who else did a scheme,,,,,,,any of you "2016 producers" *should* be doing schemes that "were already done" by the 1970-1985 decal companies,,,,,simply because we all know the difference in quality and detail asked for today, versus what was okay back then.

If you've read my posts in the modern decal company's threads about decals that *are* in my scale today, you know that I am slowly bumping that old artwork out in favor of the "modern Cartograf/Microscale" printings.

Decals today aren't *duplications*,,,,,they are vast improvements,,,,,,,,,when the decals are actually used on a model, that is.

Just as long as Flying L, AOA, Vagabond, Fightertown, Furball, etc, don't release the same aircraft in 1/72 at the same time, that is.

• 3 months later...

Dave, I have a serious suggestion for your next decal sheet. What about doing a Squadron history sheet for VMFAT-101 Sharpshooters (SB/SH) and VMFAT-201 Hawks (KB) featuring the different markings for F-4B/J/N/S Phantom IIs in 1/72, 1/48 , & 1/32 scale?

Here are some examples of VMFAT-101 & VMFAT-201 color schemes I'd like to see in decal form (1:72 & 1:48).

VMFAT-101 SB/SH

F-4B 148377

F-4B 152223

F-4N 152230

F-4J 155820

F-4S 155828

VMFAT-201 KB

F-4B 152241

F-4J 153875

F-4J 155829

F-4J 154781

R/ Dutch

I know I'm late to this thread, but VMFA-232 as part of CVW-11 aboard the Nimitz back in 2005 is one I'd love to see. The Red Devils are far and away my favorite Marine squadron (sorry, father-in-law, a former VMFA-122 Phantom Phixer) and their '05 color and low-viz jets hit all my Hornet buttons.

I know I'm late to this thread, but VMFA-232 as part of CVW-11 aboard the Nimitz back in 2005 is one I'd love to see. The Red Devils are far and away my favorite Marine squadron (sorry, father-in-law, a former VMFA-122 Phantom Phixer) and their '05 color and low-viz jets hit all my Hornet buttons.

Never too late for a thread! 232 is definitely on the list. Both their cruise on the Nimitz and their tour in Kandahar, Afghanistan when they operated two F/A-18D aircraft.

At the moment, I have a 1/72 KC-130 sheet that is being laid out. Next will be an F/A-18A/C sheet covering a number of aircraft that flew combat missions in ODS, OIF, OEF and OIR. I also have a wickedly awesome AH-1W sheet and AV-8B sheet that are about to be finished.

Any and all suggestions are most welcome......if you have actual photographic references, they are also welcome.

Dave

........they flew to Japan and then on to Vietnam,,,,,,before either Dave or I were Marines.

You ain't that OLD!!!...hoo u kiddin......I know Phantoms and Crusaders got to some long legs given the 3 gasbags...but even the southern route makes for some added stops...and still those are some lonnnnnnnnnnnnng legs.

she was apparently a real maintenance headache.

Haaaaanger Queeeeeen..... :woot.gif: , one in every unit.

Edited by #1 Greywolf
  • 2 years later...
18 hours ago, Gunny said:

Holy thread resurrection Batman. Ha! I’m not privy to any further discussion on this the two years, Dave Roof, do you have any update on this sheet?

Semper Fi,

Masterguns 

Yeah, I was kind of surprised to see it brought back to life as well. A few months after the OP my Mother passed away, then my wife and I separated....decal stuff completely fell off the grid! Things are back to normal and I have several new projects in work and a new decal sheet currently at print (image posted below).

As far as the two sheets mentioned in the original post, I have decided to break them up and lay out all new sheets. All future decal releases will be a mix of squadrons, but the same aircraft type. This will allow me to release more sheets and still cover the wide selection of aircraft I have artwork drawn up for. As an example, my new sheet has markings for six different squadrons and covers the F/A-18A+, F/A-18C, F/A-18D and an F/A-18D ATARS option in combat operations from 1997 to 2015.

I hope to have the new decal layouts finished within the next couple of months so I can start sending more sheets to print. 

Dave

FL48009_F-18_ACD_in_Combat.jpg

3 hours ago, Jabba29 said:

Any CH-46Es but especially the brown schemed ones that were used in the Gulf War 1991 in either 1/72 or 1/48.

Actually, yes. I have about 30 options drawn and just need to narrow it down to 12 for the first sheet. Five different paint schemes will be covered and several different squadrons.

CH-46_E_Profiles.jpg

15 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Yeah, I was kind of surprised to see it brought back to life as well. A few months after the OP my Mother passed away, then my wife and I separated....decal stuff completely fell off the grid! Things are back to normal and I have several new projects in work and a new decal sheet currently at print (image posted below).

As far as the two sheets mentioned in the original post, I have decided to break them up and lay out all new sheets. All future decal releases will be a mix of squadrons, but the same aircraft type. This will allow me to release more sheets and still cover the wide selection of aircraft I have artwork drawn up for. As an example, my new sheet has markings for six different squadrons and covers the F/A-18A+, F/A-18C, F/A-18D and an F/A-18D ATARS option in combat operations from 1997 to 2015.

I hope to have the new decal layouts finished within the next couple of months so I can start sending more sheets to print. 

Dave

FL48009_F-18_ACD_in_Combat.jpg

My condolences for your losses. I didn’t know. I hope all is well With you now. The artwork looks outstanding, however. I especially want to see the -115, 232, 252, 142 markings come to fruition. Keep us updated.

Semper FI, Marine,

Masterguns 

Edited by Gunny
On 6/10/2016 at 10:00 AM, Dutch said:

Dave, I have a serious suggestion for your next decal sheet. What about doing a Squadron history sheet for VMFAT-101 Sharpshooters (SB/SH) and VMFAT-201 Hawks (KB) featuring the different markings for F-4B/J/N/S Phantom IIs in 1/72, 1/48 , & 1/32 scale?

Here are some examples of VMFAT-101 & VMFAT-201 color schemes I'd like to see in decal form (1:72 & 1:48).

VMFAT-101 SB/SH

F-4B 148377

F-4B 152223

F-4N 152230

F-4J 155820

F-4S 155828

VMFAT-201 KB

F-4B 152241

F-4J 153875

F-4J 155829

F-4J 154781

R/ Dutch

Love it! The two Marine F-4 training units have gotten next to nothing in coverage. Good suggestion Dutch ;0)

As per your original question Dave, I'm in the same boat as Rex...... unless they're done in my preferred scale (1/72), neither format will matter. If you were to do them in 72nd scale, either format would work for me, though I do prefer the multiple a/c type sheet slightly more. FWIW, Fred K.

Nice thread resurrection, Masterguns!   And thanks for the boost Fred.  Been waiting a long time for VMFAT-101 / 201 Phantom decals.  How about it Dave? (Apologies for dead links in 2 year old post.  Not sure where it went, but I do have copies of photos.) R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch
Add explanation.
On 6/10/2016 at 12:00 PM, Dutch said:

VMFAT-101 SB/SH

F-4B 148377

F-4B 152223

F-4N 152230

F-4J 155820

F-4S 155828

VMFAT-201 KB

F-4B 152241

F-4J 153875

F-4J 155829

F-4J 154781

R/ Dutch