Battle Of Britain Duo Complete

Actually finished a couple of projects this week. First models I've gotten completely done in a couple of years. I started this project back in September to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Battle Of Britain. First up, the Tamiya 1/72 Bf-109E-4, finished in the markings of Staffellkapitan Oblt. Hans Philipp of 4/JG54. Decals are from the Aeromaster "Battle Of Britain Special" collection, with stencils from an old Eagle Strike sheet. I dressed up the cockpit a bit by using the seat, sidewalls and instrument panel from the True Details resin set. The only other "enhancements" I made were to drill out the ends of the gun barrels and add an antenna wire made from stretched sprue. Paint is Gunze Aqueous acrylic, with Tamiya Lemon Yellow cowl and rudder.

Bf%20109%2001.jpg

Bf%20109%2002.jpg

Bf%20109%2003.jpg

Part II of my Battle Of Britain commemorative duo: the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk.I. Nice kit..my only complaint would be that the panel lines are a bit heavy, and the canopy a bit thick. Still, a fun, trouble-free build. I added a Quickboost resin seat, mainly because I lost the kit seat. "Boffins" might also notice that it has a Mk.V oil cooler, as the Mk.I part was gobbled up by the infamous Carpet Monster. Markings are for Pilot Officer M. Appleby with 609 Sq. based at Middle Wallop. Decals are from the Aeromaster "Battle Of Britain Spitfires" set, which has been lurking in my Decal Dungeon since the mid 1990s. They took a lot of Solvaset and "persuasion" to settle into the panel lines. I used the kit decals for the stencils and fuselage roundels, and they worked beautifully, even over the heavy panel lines. Paint is again my favorite, Gunze Aqueous acrylics. I also replaced the gunsight reflector with a bit of clear stock, drilled out the exhausts, added a stretched-sprue antenna wire, and a teeny bit of Bare Metal Foil on the rear-view mirror. Oh, and for the underside landing light I tried some of that new "Five Second Fix," an epoxy that cures in five seconds when exposed to UV light..worked very well.

Spit%2001.jpg

Spit%2002.jpg

Spit%2003.jpg

Tally Ho!

Steve

• 3 weeks later...