Iranian F-16 decals

Hi guys

I am willing to build an iranian f-16 and I was wondering if there are any decals out there for it

If not do you know what I can use?

Can I use f-14 or f-4 iranian decals?

Thanks

As F-16 A/B have been ordered, but never delivered, you can indeed use markings and codes from IIAF/IRIAF F-4E or F-5E ( here even with "tail art") - as F-14 have different serial/code numbers using Grumman rounded fonts.

BTW,the IIAF ordered for delivery during the 1980s a.o. not only F-16A/Bs, but also F-18A/B, F-4G Wild Weasels, E-3 Sentry AWACS etc.

After the revolution, the IIAF F-16A already in production found a new home in Israel.

thanks guys

any idea about the color codes for the F-16?

are the same as the F-4 and F-5?

They would have been delivered in Asia Minor camo, like all IIAF combat planes (F-4,F-5, F-14 etc.)

Edited by Diego

Hi,

Just wonderning : do you mean Iranian? or Iraqi?

I am asking because I believe Iranian F-16s never were delivered which makes your Iranian project a what if project...while your questions ask "Color codes" and "are they the same" as if you are talking about reality which might make me understand your projrct as Iraqi?

Sorry to ask, not willing to spoil any of you interest...

Best regards

Eric B.

Edited by Eric B.

As F-16 A/B have been ordered, but never delivered, you can indeed use markings and codes from IIAF/IRIAF F-4E or F-5E ( here even with "tail art") - as F-14 have different serial/code numbers using Grumman rounded fonts.

BTW,the IIAF ordered for delivery during the 1980s a.o. not only F-16A/Bs, but also F-18A/B, F-4G Wild Weasels, E-3 Sentry AWACS etc.

After the revolution, the IIAF F-16A already in production found a new home in Israel.

Iran never ordered the F-16. The revolution happened before any such order was ever even negotiated. The IIAF had interest, and was courted by GD, but no order ever happened. Same with the F-18, E-3, etc. Interest, but no orders.

no worries Eric

yes its Iranian, and as you said what if

i assumed that they would have been deliverd in the Asia Minor

Likely not. Most likely in standard USAF colors, or something akin to them. Israel's F-16s were camouflaged in sand and spinach, which is why Egyptian F-16s are in greys. I'm told (by an ex-IDFAF F-15 pilot) that Israel pretty much demanded that. My IIAF F-16C is going to be in standard USAF camo colors.

For the record, USAF Asia Minor colors are:

FS 34079 Green

FS 30140 Brown

FS 20400 Tan

FS 36622 Gray

Edited by Jennings

Iran never ordered the F-16. The revolution happened before any such order was ever even negotiated. The IIAF had interest, and was courted by GD, but no order ever happened. Same with the F-18, E-3, etc. Interest, but no orders.

History says otherwise.

Iran issued a formal letter of intent to buy an initial batch of 160 aircraft on 27 October 1976. They also expressed an interest in another 140 jets for a total of 300 F-16s. GD gave code names to all foreign sales at the time, and Iran's code was Peace Zebra. (Israel was Peace Marble, Egypt was Peace Vector, etc.)

In the spring of 1978 the US Secretary of Defense Harold Brown announced that $1.9 billion USD had been authorized by Congress to start F-16 production, specifically 105 aircraft for USAF, 192 for NATO (Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands & Norway) and 55 for Iran. That is why the flags of these six countries adorned the nose of the first FSD F-16A 75-0745.

18%20YF-16A%2075-0745%20left%20front%20cockpit%20taxiing%20l.jpg

The Shah of Iran was overthrown on 11 February 1979. The American citizens were taken hostage on 04 November 1979. Ironically the F-16 deal was not cancelled by the US Government, but by the Iranian Revolutionary council, led by Ayatollah Khomeini, in late 1979 or early 1980 (couldn't find an exact date). It was probably a moot point since the US would not have allowed delivery given the situation, but the deal was still in place until Iran canceled it.

Here's the kicker: the 55 jets originally ordered by Iran were in fact built, and delivered to Israel instead. So, if you want to build an Iranian F-16, paint it like an early Israeli F-16. :)

These are photos of a page from a GD F-16 brochure dated 1977. The first image shows the first seven customers - USAF, Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Norway, Israel & Iran as painted by GD artist Bob Cunningham (USAF jet is a photo of one of the FSD airframes).

Note that the paint schemes in the artwork are highly speculative, with Belgium and RNAF jets shown in Euro-type schemes they never received. Nonetheless, this shows how GD intended to paint and mark the Iranian jets as of 1977.

6lWhU1j.jpg

This second image is a close-up of the Iranian scheme.

TKfCA8p.jpg