New 1/32 Decals - T-28 Trojans in the Vietnam War

The next AOA sheet (32-015) will be for the 1/32 Kitty Hawk T-28 Trojan kit. As usual with AOA the focus is again on aircraft that were in combat (with one exception).

Sheet will have 18 schemes covering various nationalities. Although none are specifically marked with the US national insignia, some were directly unmarked US aircraft and many others were US operated/maintained under the disguise of other nationalities due to the "secret" war.

Laos (5 schemes) - T-28B/C/D

Thai (3 schemes) - T-28D

Cambodia (1 scheme) / Khmer (2 schemes) - T-28B/D

VNAF (5 schemes) - T-28B/C

US (2 schemes) - T-28D

A few of these schemes are very similar to one another with only some minor differences. Some of it is due to some having the Yankee extraction setup (future kit/conversion), as well as some D-5 aircraft, and also two C aircraft since the Kitty Hawk B/D kit suggests a C is planned (if not, then for conversions).

Two types of stencils will be provided - one as the original full letters and other as the sprayed/stencil letters.

Should also point out the Loa national insignia included is specifically based on the actual painted markings applied to the T-28, it is not based on the Wikipedia insignia image that has been used incorrectly on other decals previously released. Yes the wiki version sure looks nice with fancy detail, but it is not accurate to the real insignia carried on the RLAF marked T-28s!

More important point: unfortunately the 1st Air Commando "VNAF" shark-mouthed aircraft have some license taken on colors and a significant compromise was taken on the shark-mouths. About 30 photos were available of their aircraft, and for some reason all except one were in black and white - and that one that was in color, that specific aircraft didn't have the lightning bolt on the tail (figures). Various written accounts say the rudder was light blue, blue, and others say red. In b/w photos it appears very dark, lighter than the inside of the eyes which is known to be red from the color photo. Both red and blue bolts are provided but I've shown blue on the profiles (light blue seems highly unlikely). The inside of the sharkmouth is usually shown in illustrations as red; in the b/w photos, some aircraft, and in this case specifically aircraft 371 is one, the inside of the mouth is noticeably darker than the inside of the eye (red), while on 372 the inside of the mouth appears closer in color to the red eye color. This fact, plus the extent and number of curvatures required to fit a full decal with mouth color provided, is why I elected to only provide the teeth/"lips" as decals and leave it up to the modeler for the inner color. So the inside of the mouth will have to be painted first on the kit, which could be a real pain. Not ideal, but like I said, I did a compromise as I wanted to at least offer the chance for these aircraft.

Printed by Microscale.

Price $20

www.AOAdecals.com

COVER-32015.jpg

Main Sheet:

32015.jpg

32015a.jpg 32015b.jpg 32015c.jpg 32015d.jpg 32015e.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos

Looks like a great decal sheet.

I had a preference for an AdA Fennec, but then, one of those SEA options might take precedence.

And yes, downscaling even to 1/72 would be a good idea (from my point of view at least, I understand yours can be different).

Well done sir!

Not too promising that no one here wants 1/32!

A guy was kind enough to already mail me his dismembered Roden kit build to help me with making these decals in 1/48. Not sure when/if the 1/48 version of these will come out.

Sorry the 1/32 response isn't so great, but really the KH is WAY out of my price range, the Roden kit, while not cheap fits my budget better.

Good luck with your decals looking forward to seeing more from you.

A guy was kind enough to already mail me his dismembered Roden kit build to help me with making these decals in 1/48. Not sure when/if the 1/48 version of these will come out.

Put me down for a 1/32 set! I bought the Kittyhawk kit planning to do a trainer, but there are some great schemes on your sheet that would look better. Besides, I'll do a trainer when they release the C version! Please keep the 1/32 sheet coming

Looks like a major misprint: it's "Lao", not "Loa", as you have spelled it. This would show serious disrespect to the high-time Hmong pilot, Lee Lue, if not corrected.

Seriously? I mispelled it once in my post. It's spelled correctly earlier and correct in the image. I'm sure Lee Lue would understand a fat finger mispelling.

Edit... ok I see I typed it wrong too on the cover image but correct in the description and profile. It's a simple typo to fix.

Edited by ziggyfoos

I just don't build in that scale. The completed kits take up too much room and I already have enough 1/48 kits to start my own hobby shop. I think you would find this scale for these decals would be very popular.

Awesome work on these and I love the subjects you are doing. Keep up the great work. 70.gif

• 2 months later...