1/48 N.A. FJ-3 Fury

Hi all,

as my MiG-25 is nearing completion I go back to another project started some months ago.

As already discussed here and in Mr Thomason great blog, building an FJ-3 in 1/48 involves some steps, such as mating an Esci upper fuselage with a Grand Phoenix lower fuselage, and then slipping the tail forward:

fj32.jpg

fj33.jpg

fj34.jpg

Then filling, re-engraving and sanding...

fj315.jpg

priming...

fj312.jpg

painting...

fj321.jpg

fj323.jpg

Now on to the canopy and rear cockpit deck.

Any comment and suggestion welcome !

Hi, thanks but I promise it's not complicated surgery, as both fuselages are near to a perfect match along this very line.

The only work was reshaping the rear fuse curves, as Sabres and Furies have nothing in common and FJ-3 and -4 are quite different.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all !

Back to the Fury: box decals are too old to be of any use.

While awaiting new decals to complete the VF-154 scheme, I started to mask & airbrush the red and white markings.

fj326.jpg

fj324.jpg

fj325.jpg

fj327.jpg

Who said a Silhouette cutter is a good idea ?

Wow thanks for your comments.

Small update today: busy working on the landing gear. GP nose wheel and leg, Esci MLG legs, Academy Sabre wheels (missing some spokes but still looking better than the Esci offering, IMHO)

fj329.jpg

Starting to look like a Fury I hope.

fj330.jpg

fj331.jpg

fj332.jpg

Cheers !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ! Back at work with decals and some weathering:

Decals come from a generic US codes and serial Printscale sheet (great decals, BTW) whereas stars and stencils were taken on Microscale 48-117 devoted to FJ-3M.

Some weathering was added with oil paints (trying to keep it light...)

Now all is going to dry for some days, this will give me time to think about this canopy.

Best regards

fj335.jpg

fj336.jpg

fj337.jpg

fj338.jpg

Joel, I use Mr Mark Setter from Gunze and it works great on most decals, including Hasegawa decals.

I had some silvering under the right fuselage star,so I had to remove the carrier film (and part of the star, but it wasn't my intention !)

Joel, I use Mr Mark Setter from Gunze and it works great on most decals, including Hasegawa decals.

I had some silvering under the right fuselage star,so I had to remove the carrier film (and part of the star, but it wasn't my intention !)

As I posted, I'm redoing the ID numbers on both of the Vert Stabs on the B-25B. I've borrowed my brother's Mr. Setter and Mr. Softner as my order from Hong Kong won't be here for a few weeks. I here great things about them, as they do their magic on Chinese/Japanese decals when Micro Sol, Mico Set, and Solvaset have no effect what so ever. To bad I couldn't find a retail US retail outlet.

Joel

Man, that is some nice work. I love NavAir 50s jets and sure wish a proper FJ2/3 would come along. Brilliant idea with the bashing those two fuselages together. I built that old ESCI FJ-3 a few years ago but was so disappointed in it that I tossed it in the garbage can.

I may have missed it in the description but what wing did you use...I don't recall the ESCI kit having drooped slats?

Thanks ! 50's era jets are really appealing, I wish we had more models from this timeframe.

And I'd like someone to offer us proper AD-5 or JD-1 in 1/48.

I used the Esci wing, just had to cut the slats and glue them in the drooped position.

• 1 month later...