Seaking HC.4 Commando in 1/72 by Airfix

After doing the Cyberhobby-kit of the "Junglie" some years ago (http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=254680&st=0) I used the opportunity and bought the new Airfix-version of this helicopter.

Once again I plan to do something extra-ordinary with this bird and I hope you´ll like it.

At first I added some detail to the interior, glueing a layer of a kleenex into it with white glue. Looks like sound-proofing to me!

IMG_5954_zpsffmc2vp9.jpg

The kit itself received some criticism for beeing "too simple". I can relate to that, there are a couple of items that give you the impression that with a little bit more enthusiasm there would be a better outcome. Well, in this case the enthusiasm needs to come from the modeller (or his stash, here for the instrument-panel decals, where I used RoGs Seaking-decals) - but this is also one of the reasons why the Airfix-kit costs only 50% of the price of the Cyberhobby-Junglie!

IMG_5961_zpsp1gnw9i8.jpg

The floor-plate was extremely warped, here you can see it after I tried to get it in shape. Still not completely there, but a good start:

IMG_5960_zpsloxfuenp.jpg

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.

Some impressions of the new "sound-proofing":

IMG_5963_zpsz3p3qcnf.jpg

And I mounted the seats in the back:

IMG_5964_zpswjjko8cl.jpg

Next thing to topple will be the crew and some soldiers.

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.

The crew has been finished and it´s pretty obvious what I´m going to do with the "Junglie"!

IMG_5972_zpsghcncgru.jpg

I used a wide mix of Ceasar-figures, Preiser and Revell for the 6 Commandos, two (!) door gunners and the pilots.

HAJO

Take your seats, please, gentlemen!

IMG_5973_zpsf6ejjyhv.jpg

IMG_5974_zpsyw3pdyra.jpg

And yes, I know that the Junglie usually doesn´t carry a MG on the port-side. However, I used some artistic freedom here and mounted a second MG with gunner.

IMG_5975_zpsa9ai9ops.jpg

Nice touch of the model is the upper part of the cabin - it occures quite often on models that you can look right through the cabin up into the motor-section. One thing I noticed: Airfix missed a long time tradition here - no pilot figures included!!

IMG_5976_zpsltq6tksy.jpg

HAJO

The body is assembled!

IMG_5977_zpsdtblro3c.jpg

A look into the cabin with the door gunner.

IMG_5979_zps13ran2fq.jpg

The clear parts are really clear, but I have the feeling that the seats obstructing the view inside are a bit too high. Haven´t checked yet, but I think there´s a good chance that they´ll need to sit lower.

IMG_5980_zpsr9oezf5o.jpg

After attaching the belly I was confronted with a prominent gap. I´m not sure if I simply messed up the interiour base plate for the cabin (which may happen with me doing it, but I thought I was good here), or simply a problem of the kit itself.

IMG_5982_zpswmorbkxv.jpg

But nothing a bit of putty won´t cure! ;)

HAJO

The belly in all his beauty:

IMG_5984_zpsxjwwmjuj.jpg

Tomorrow I will start painting, everything is attached to the helo.

IMG_5985_zpsgveo0mcf.jpg

The clear parts were a bit tricky, as they came in three pieces, but look good so far.

IMG_5986_zpskcm3xsvb.jpg

HAJO

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for not posting pics for some time, but I was on vacation.

I have painted the helo in a slightly lightened up Revell 65, which Looks fine in my eyes:

IMG_5987_zpssvisk3nl.jpg

IMG_5988_zpscikbuhyk.jpg

I also gave the Command-soldier sitting in the door a scarf to put over his face:

IMG_5989_zpsv8brmwk6.jpg

Then came the decals:

IMG_6027_zpsf1vohrem.jpg

IMG_6028_zpsg8qhto7b.jpg

Matt coating:

IMG_6029_zpsp8sl5il1.jpg

IMG_6030_zpsynkjv8cb.jpg

HAJO

• 2 weeks later...

Finished!!

A little impression "indoor", without the Commando in the door: IMG_6031_zpshtqrlidc.jpg

And a Close-Up on "Frosty, the Snowman":

IMG_6032_zpsozhxmkjk.jpg

Weather outside not really suitable for winter-camo, but who cares...:

IMG_6033_zpsd1gv4rdg.jpg

IMG_6034_zpslkcqq4th.jpg

"Frosty" is not melting!

IMG_6035_zpsbl4dbfvh.jpg

Airborne all the way!

IMG_6036_zpsijtkxqxs.jpg

As you can see, I didn´t exactly replicate the snow-camoflage of the original Junglie. I wouldn´t be able to get the contrast and "white" right, so I choose to do a provisory snow-camo as it would have been applied hastily by the troops in the field.

IMG_6037_zps8b2z0wzp.jpg

Heated sprue as antenna.

IMG_6038_zpsjfsb2xdp.jpg

My other diversion from the real thing: The gunner on the port-side:

IMG_6039_zpsluuvk3ry.jpg

I´d say that the Airfix-kit is really nice, with some aspects that are clearly superior to the Revell-kit. But other parts of the model fall right short with the german contender, especially the details on the fuselage like rivets. A kit-bash of both kits will most likely result in an excellent model (if you choose the right parts, otherwise you´ll end up with a really bad model... ). ;)

HAJO