New 1/48 A-7A/B conversion

I just pulled my first test cast for an A-7A/B conversion for the Hasegawa A-7E kit. I'm in the middle of building the Hobbyboss kit, and while it isn't bad, I prefer the Hasegawa kit. Included in the set will be resin plugs for the gun troughs, NACA vent on the left fuselage, different antenna on the spine, a plug with no antenna for the base of the tail, and plugs for the M61 bay and boarding ladder, which wasn't present on the A/B. I had thought about doing the stirrup boarding step, but figured that would be too fragile. The set will be available in the Steel Beach lineup at Sprue Brothers. I'm hoping to have it ready by mid-March. I'm also continuing to work on an A-6B (Mod 0 and Mod 1) in both 1/48 and 1/32 scales.

1112607_orig.jpg

4897977_orig.jpg

6184418_orig.jpg

5469246_orig.jpg

Edited by Darren Roberts

Darren this is just great news. I had started a thread here on ARC some time ago trying to figure out how to get an A-7B from an A-7E. Looks like you have solved most of the issues I would have had. Here is a link to my original post.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=275150&st=0&p=2611602&hl=a-7b&fromsearch=1entry2611602

Do we need a new under belly speed brake for the B? Or at least a template?

• 4 weeks later...

You will sell a bunch of those sir!

Does this mean that Furball may issue some early markings in that great grey over white scheme? Have a bunch of Superscale sheets meant for the Monogram kit I think but accuracy is not there.

Hmm yet more work for you Geoff :)

Does this mean that Furball may issue some early markings in that great grey over white scheme? Have a bunch of Superscale sheets meant for the Monogram kit I think but accuracy is not there.

Hmm yet more work for you Geoff :)/>

From what I have heard (from 3rd party sources I must admit) is that Geoff prefers to do CAG schemes and doesn't really like line jets. Based on what I have seen, most of his releases would support that allegation (fine if CAG is your thing)

That being said

Again, I state that it would be great if someone released more early A-7 sheets.. OTHER than CAG

John

Might want to ask Jake Melampy to do the decals if he has some spare time. Would probably coincide nicely with his SLUF book that he is trying to finish getting published this year.

@Darren, I know I've spoken to you about this set before over on Z5, but what kind of price range are we going to see for this conversion kit?

Might want to ask Jake Melampy to do the decals if he has some spare time. Would probably coincide nicely with his SLUF book that he is trying to finish getting published this year.

@Darren, I know I've spoken to you about this set before over on Z5, but what kind of price range are we going to see for this conversion kit?

Sprue Brothers have it on their site for $11.99

• 4 years later...

Want to build an A-7B from VA-205, a reserve squadron stationed at NAS Atlanta.  They flew these in gray/white and then low vis later.  (I think they upgraded to E's at some point before moving to A-6's.)  One of the first airshow/open house events I attended as a kid was at this base and I saw these flying around frequently.

I saw this conversion and managed to find one.  Any hints or tips from anyone who has used it?  Anything in the kit that should be left off or re-worked?

A-7B Corsair II Photo 026

The best advice I can give is be careful cutting. Make your cuts smaller than needed and then gradually increase the area until the resin piece fits. I would also recommend using the resin parts to make a tape template. Trace around the part on Tamiya tape, cut it out with an X-Acto, and place it where it needs to go.It's a be it of work, but it's not hard. If I can do it, anyone can! I wish I could have done the entire fuselage, but my casting abilities weren't up to that. Good luck with the project. I'm glad you found one. Hopefully some day I'll be able to restart SB and bring that set back.

On 3/2/2016 at 3:49 AM, Darren Roberts said:

I'm hoping to have it ready by mid-March. I'm also continuing to work on an A-6B (Mod 0 and Mod 1) in both 1/48 and 1/32 scales.

1112607_orig.jpg

4897977_orig.jpg

6184418_orig.jpg

5469246_orig.jpg

Why can't I see pictures?

7 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

The best advice I can give is be careful cutting. Make your cuts smaller than needed and then gradually increase the area until the resin piece fits. I would also recommend using the resin parts to make a tape template. Trace around the part on Tamiya tape, cut it out with an X-Acto, and place it where it needs to go.It's a be it of work, but it's not hard. If I can do it, anyone can! I wish I could have done the entire fuselage, but my casting abilities weren't up to that. Good luck with the project. I'm glad you found one. Hopefully some day I'll be able to restart SB and bring that set back.

Thanks for the reply!  Happy I stumbled onto this set and grateful you put it together.

Kurt