Have you sold, or considered selling your entire collection?

I've never considered selling my entire stash but I'm in the process of attempting to significantly reduce it. I have a large list in the sale section not and it only covers about 1/4 of what I have. I mainly like to build in 1/48, so I'm attempting to get rid of all my 1/32 and 1/72 kits. Then, reduce the 1/48 to what I truly believe I'll build someday. In past few years, I've been better about not impulse buying. Having said that, Sprue Brothers just had the AH-64E show up in stock....

My second problem is woodworking is my other hobby.

My third or first problem, depending upon your point of view, is spending time with my young boys and coaching their soccer team.

Rodney

Going through that right now. I'm 60 and haven't finished 4 kits in the last year. My stash is almost exclusively 1/48 so not only is there a large stash but once done where am I going to park them?

Problem is I spent that money and I'm having a hard time expecting less than 50 cents on the dollar when I sell them.

Stash hording is a rough illness.,

Problem is I spent that money and I'm having a hard time expecting less than 50 cents on the dollar when I sell them.

That right there is the bitter pill. How bad do I need space in my hobby room and what will I actually build in this lifetime...

Rodney

A few comments above point to the internet as a culprit. It's certainly an enabler for me. I work essentially two jobs and am in the process of fixing up the house I live in. I don't have a lot of free time right now to build, but very little free time is needed to shop for and buy model kits, on my computer or even my phone. So my interest in the hobby is "satisfied" by buying kits, since I realistically have little time to build them. Not good.

It's kind of like eating calories you're not burning, and gaining the wrong kind of weight as a result.

Great replies in this thread. Several themes are evident, and one of them is avoidance. Some of us spend a lot of time organizing their work areas. Others focus on planning projects and pulling together all of the absolutely essential (we tell ourselves) bits to make the project awesome. Others spend a ton of time on the internet, researching or looking at others' work. We consume tons of time for nearly no result.

I buy a model kit because I like the subject it represents and I want to have a replica of that subject in miniature. Once I have that kit, then three things can happen:

1. I can use that kit and a dab of the considerable skill I've accumulated over the years, and make a decent model. It will be better than 99% of the population could have done it, and I'll have my replica.
  2. I can add that kit to my 200+ unfinished models. I may work on it sometimes, and I might not, but it will exist for my enjoyment and satisfaction. Every time I open that box it will be like opening a good book.
  3. I can add throw it on the pile and feel guilty or oppressed by it, or I can feel like I don't yet have the skill to accomplish that project, or be fearful of screwing it up. At that point, the perfect becomes the enemy of the good, and I'm on the losing side.

Dave, I understand and applaud the motivation you feel to get rid of everything that seems to weigh you down, but I would tell you to dig a little deeper and find your underlying cause - the thing that really weighs you down. All of the time you spend selling, packing, shipping, etc. is just more avoidance. Do a quick accounting of your scarcest resource - time - and decide what it's for.

Good luck, man! We're pulling for you.

Hell, I sold off/traded 2 or 3 of my kits and regretted it and re-bought them. I'm only 53, and my stash is my retirement hobby, so no way would I liqudate. I guess as I get older I'll build a spreadsheet with prices so the kids and grand kids can liquidate or spread around to build. I figure if all I do is have them clear out 150 kits, so be it. I'm lucky if I complete 3 or 4 of my 1/32 kits a year (mostly what I build) and an occasional "fun" kit, be it a sci-fy or a car kit. I guess I spend too much time behind a TV or this ipad.

I sell off kits occasionally. Lately I have been getting rid of kits I have duplicates of, I may eventually build an SM-79 but I am certain I won't build two and I had the Trumpeter and the Classic Airframes kits, so I sold the Trumpeter. I also had an Academy and Eduard P-47, the same kit so I sold the Academy one. I'm still cleaning it out and have some more to sell. I am sitting at about 200 right now and about 120 of them fit on the shelves I have, so I want to get it down to what will fit on those.

I laugh at myself almost every time I read "I'm selling off the duplicate kits."

That's because I am still "buying more duplicates" to round out my collection.

Funny how there are so many different approaches to this hobby, that even the buying habits vary so much.

Some years ago I decided to stop building 1/72 and sold off about 85% of my collection. About a year later I realized the mistake I made. So keep in mind that your mind may change. If your kits are not spilling over the sides of your storage, and taking up much needed space, maybe let them be.