Got tapped to help with our unit airpark

My former commander pinged me Monday and asked if I could help with our units airpark that is being planned, from what I understand so far is my job will be making sure the aircraft are correctly and accurately marked and painted as they were when we flew them.The only aircraft that might be hard to pin down for a scheme is the F-84F,we had at least three variations of bare metal markings and one SEA camo.

At the moment we have a F-84F, F-100D,F-4C,and a F-16A(which we didn't fly but I believe they are trying to obtain a C tail/aft section),and they are working on obtaining one of our former F-4E's from AMARG(4-5 of our former E's are still there,including my old E 68-0490,they were last used by the 20th FS for training German pilots on the F-4).If they mention using vinyl stickers for anything on the aircraft I'll have to slap them silly,they did that on two of jets several years back and they quickly faded and peeled.

I may ask for some help from the ARC'ers with the service stenciling guides for the F-84F and F-100D,I don't believe they have the info anymore on those aircraft,the F-4's and F-16 shouldn't be a problem(I hope).I'll find out more next week what I'm dealing with and what possible limitations I may have. I guess being known as a history nut and a modeller got me picked for this!

We're redoing three jets in my local airpark. They are going to be painted with paint that is supposed to last up to 10 years. I was originally going to do vinyl markings, but for the reason you mentioned, we're changing it. I talked to the guy who cuts my vinyl, and he said the best way to do it is to layer solid colored vinyl on top of each other. It won't fade or peel. The problem with printing the vinyl is the ink wears off. This method avoids that. It's almost like putting two part decals on. In your situation, it sounds like you may have the resources to paint the markings on.

Well,we have the retired experienced people and the ability to cut the stencils,we'd just need to kick one of the squadrons out of the old CC building to rotate the planes thru for the sanding and repaints and any repairs. Going from a flying unit to an Intel one took some of resources away for doing this.

The price depends on paint,labor,parts,new aircraft acquired,moving said new displays.Since we have only meeting under our belts it's hard to say what the total and final costs will be but the money set aside for the project so far surprised me at the amount,a good surprise I might add.The Wing Commander wants to preserve the aircraft and show off the unit heritage and wants it done while we still have the knowledge base of the people who worked the aircraft when they were operational available to us.A lot of people have said I wish they'll let us fix the aircraft up right,now is their chance!

Also, anyone got a handle on where to find F-100 drop tanks,outer and inner wing pylons?It would be awesome mid we can find some to install,same for the F-84F. Looking at AMARG and range birds for the F-4C and E stuff(inner wing pylons,wing and or centerline tanks,ejection seats,TER's). We are hoping to have the canopies clear and not painted,looking at trying to find replacements for all if they are available or can be found.

Also, anyone got a handle on where to find F-100 drop tanks,outer and inner wing pylons?It would be awesome mid we can find some to install,same for the F-84F. Looking at AMARG and range birds for the F-4C and E stuff(inner wing pylons,wing and or centerline tanks,ejection seats,TER's). We are hoping to have the canopies clear and not painted,looking at trying to find replacements for all if they are available or can be found.

You may want to make contact with someone at the old Chanute air museum that closed its doors in November. They have planes and parts that will likely end up in the scrap heap. Who to contact, I have no idea. But I am betting someone at the Air Force Museum would know.

Mark

The Air Force Museum is who to talk to for parts and resources. As display aircraft they all belong to the Air Force museum anyway, so they may be able to help you with funding as well. Just don't let them know if you do a really good job, since the planes do belong to them and they can send them somewhere else if they want. I know guys that worked on the Shoo Shoo Baby B-17 and P-51 restoration at Dover, and once both of those projects were complete the Air Force moved them to other museums.

What a great and worthy project. If there was something like this even remotely close to my neck of the woods I'd love to volunteer my time to help out. Good luck with the project and please keep us posted as things progress.

:cheers:

EDIT: Spelling.

Edited by Don

The Air Force Museum is who to talk to for parts and resources. As display aircraft they all belong to the Air Force museum anyway, so they may be able to help you with funding as well. Just don't let them know if you do a really good job, since the planes do belong to them and they can send them somewhere else if they want. I know guys that worked on the Shoo Shoo Baby B-17 and P-51 restoration at Dover, and once both of those projects were complete the Air Force moved them to other museums.

I've always understood that Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby was restored at Dover specifically for the USAF Museum (which was why it was restored to flying condition, so it could be ferried to Wright-Pat.) They had a whole exhibit about the then-ongoing restoration at the Dayton museum back in the early 80s.

Dave, is the airpark at Hullman Field open to the public? I'd love to check it out sometime when we're in T.H.

SN

• 2 weeks later...

Right now the jets a stones throw from the temporary main gate,from our last meeting, I understood that they were looking at having it outside the planned new main gate and having a parking area for 15-20 vehicles.

I've pretty much settled on the schemes and markings for each aircraft and the secondary set if Col. Clark doesn't pick the first one for any of the aircraft. The PIA is going to be the F-16A ADF with that damn bulge at the base of the tail,its severely going to distort the markings that will go there.

I've picked markings that highlight the unit during the time we flew the aircraft,the F-84F will go in the 1958-60,the F-100D will go in the "City of Terre Haute" markings, the F-4C will go in a SEA/SEA wraparound (Euro scheme would likely bleach out after a short period of time),the F-4E(when we get it would in the Hill grays and in the commanders a/c markings),and I personally am purposing the F-16 go in the 113th FS Retro scheme we had on 85-1552 in 2008 but most seem tone hell bent on Indy 500 markings.Also in the mix is a possible fiberglass replica of a F-51D being bought, it would go in 1954-55 markings. They are looking at obtaining the F-86F from the Clay County Courthouse, markings on that would be easy,a 113th emblem on the nose and standard markings.I also asked when the two officers on the committee visit/talk to the USAFM or AMARG that they look for items for the current aircraft and possibly other aircraft that unit flew(T-33 is as close as we can get to an F-80 but we did have two T-33's assigned for years)or didn't fly,that would be for focusing on other branches Guard/Reserve aircraft/units.

Great news to hear you may be getting the F-86. I looked it over back in 2009 and it was in rough shape. Cockpit was gutted (as is typical) and there was a fair bit of corrosion along the canopy rails on the inside.

On the whole, this sounds like an awesome project. As always, I assume the key is funding.

SN

Edited by Steve N

About 20 years ago several of us looked at doing something with F-86 but like you said its in rough shape. A gentleman worked on it back in the 80's and took the ejection seat as payment and he used a cut down F-100 canopy to replace the broken F-86 one,in a way I hope we don't get it but most likely we will since it wpoyuld be free,I mentioned what it would take to fix it. From what I remember, it was a Wright-Patt jet that belly landed there,written off then trucked to Brazil not to long after.

I was just looking at the Fort Wayne ANG area on Google Earth and noticed a bunch of external fuel tanks at the north end of their area, 40-59-06N / 085*10*48W. They look like they are for F-16s. There are A-10s parked on the ramp, so I assume that they are not flying the F-16 anymore. Maybe they would be willing to give up a couple of those tanks? Also, the Southern Museum of Flight at Birmingham, Alabama has a bunch of F-84 paraphernalia that might be of use to you. The ANG unit there flew RF-4s until a few years ago that might be a source of F-4 tanks.

Darwin

Edited by yardbird78