Hello all,

I am still waiting for a few more tidbits to arrive for my 1/32 Revell Spitfire Mk.II so I figured I may as well get a start on my 1/48 ICM Spitfire Mk.IX.

IMG_20160302_200620_zpsg9pqirlb.jpg

Nothing fancy here folks, I am going for a pretty much straight OOB build except for decals. Here's where I sit after last night and tonight...still PLENTY of painting and details to add in the cockpit.

IMG_20160302_200902_zpsz7jzvyzy.jpg

My intention is to build one of Wg.Cdr James Edgar "Johnnie" Johnson's Spit Mk. IX's. Which one? I am not sure yet but I am leaning towards JE J (junior) serial #MK329. I have some time to decide.

That's all for now folks. Just a quick update. Thanks for looking.

Cheers!

Don.

You gonna try and include the engine? Always tricky on those ICMs.

And how about the kit decals? I've been stunned at how bad the ICM decals have been on every kit I've ever tried.

Edited by nickdanger

I like the ICM kits, because they require a keen eye and make me pay attention to the details. They tend to make good looking kits when complete, and are fun to build. If memory serves, if you build the Spit with closed cowl, just leave the valve covers off the engine.

I'll be watching this build!

This is my first ICM Spitfire and I have heard that they can be pretty tricky builds. The plans alone make you pay attention as I don't find them particularly clear. I was planning on having the upper engine cowls posed off to expose the upper engine. I heard that building these kits without the engine was harder/trickier then with the engine...? No idea if this is correct or not. The kit decals look terrible! So aftermarket decals will need to be sourced for sure.

Stay tuned. Thanks for the comments guys. Really appreciate it.

Cheers!

Don

A quick update. I have spent the last two nights working on the engine (step 1 essentially). Things went smoothly until I got to this part of the assembly:

IMG_20160303_200942_zpsjhbl1xe3.jpg

If you don't adjust the fit of parts A27/28 then they will ride too high when they get attached to part A13...sub assembly located between parts A35 and A36 (sorry I got really into building and didn't take a photo). The solution:

IMG_20160303_201011_zpshqhz0kxu.jpg

Cut parts A27/28 at the weld mark and add a shim:

IMG_20160303_223346_zpsmd3ba6jc.jpg

Looks not all that great here but it needs filling and shaping:

IMG_20160303_225408_zps9kfwrpch.jpg

Filled (notice how everything aligns as it should)

IMG_20160304_203122_zps2kjax77p.jpg

Primed:

IMG_20160304_202040515_HDR_zps2xacfxau.jpg

IMG_20160304_202620_zps6jrabze9.jpg

A few spots to touch up then painting the engine will take place. I am having trouble figuring out where the engine firewall gets installed...or rather how. The ICM plans are not that clear in some places.

Building continues...

Cheers all!

:cheers:

Don.

Two main assemblies pretty much done, namely the fuselage and main wings:

IMG_20160309_175550_zpsspvauryt.jpg

Boy the sink marks abound on this kit <_< . A line of them just in front of both ailerons (hence the filler in the photo above) and one on the starboard side of the cockpit. The fuselage didn't align the greatest either and needed some attention with filler and rescribing.

I decided to go with a fully exposed engine so I cutaway the cowl pieces.

But now I need to figure out the wing-to-fuselage joint...its a real bear based on my dry fitting :angry: .

I have to say this isn't my favorite build thus far and its proving to be a bit more of a challenge then I had originally thought.

But...work continues.

Cheers!

Don.

Great Progress Don! Yea those ICM Kits are a test of patience..... It's too bad cause they really are fairly detailed kits.... Just the multitude of molding flaws really brings ya down..... But...... In the end... It will look pretty cool!

Dave

Folks, I am man enough to admit that this kit is kicking my tail! Whoa nothing fits!! I am not exaggerating when I say that every single part that I attach to this model needs to be trimmed, sanded, and beat into submission to get it to fit halfway decent. Here is where I stand:

IMG_20160317_122904_zpsyylicvgp.jpg

Main assemblies are done and the model is primed. The wing-to-fuselage joint was terrible but with clamping, spreading the fuselage apart internally with sprue pieces, and flowing Tamiya extra thin cement in the joint it sealed up fairly well and a wash will blend it in nicely at that stage. The horizontal stabilizers needed much work as well but I think I ended up winning that battle. The ailerons needed to be trimmed lengthwise and will need a touch more sanding at the trailing edge to blend them in with the rest of the wings trailing edges. Now the wingtips...they won that battle! They just wouldn't fit despite all my efforts. I ended up mating them the best I could on the upper surfaces thus transferring the fit issues to the lower surfaces where they will not be as noticeable. To be completely honest all, had it not been for this GB I would have tossed the kit about three days ago.

What's left? I need to work on the engine firewall and engine compartment to get it ready for mounting the engine after all painting is done. I need to get cracking on painting the engine and mounts. Probably after another couple days of touching up seams I will shoot the camouflage colors over the course of a few days. So...we have a long way to go. But we WILL finish it no matter what!

Thanks all!

:cheers:...happy St. Patricks Day!

Don.

• 2 weeks later...

How's it goin' there Don? Have ya binned it??

Lookin' forward to seeing the beast tamed!

Dave

Hi Dave thanks for the post. No she's not been binned. In addition to working on my 1/32 Bf-109g6 for the Eastern Front GB I have been busy working on the Spits engine, firewall, and mounts. I hope to have some updates this week. I have all the seams filled, tidied up, re-primed, and ready for camouflage...but I am waiting for the paint to arrive in the mail. So its slow and steady progress.

Again thanks for following. It provides motivation and that's a good thing :thumbsup:!

Don.

• 1 month later...

Get your paint yet?

For one of my ICM Spits I wound up doing what you described, not because I planned to but because the front section was so poorly fitting that it was just easier to leave off the cowlings.

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

Edited by nickdanger