I've been working on this since the first, just never remembered to take pictures. It seems like a really nice kit, but I don't do many vehicles. I haven't built a tank in a very long time, but one thing I do like about armor is being able to do the majority of assembly before painting. The tracks are length and link, which is also something I have never done but this kit has a nice jig included so they don't seem too hard.

20160305_104017.jpg

HB KV tanks are fantastic. The Link and length tracks fit perfectly, and should cause you no concern.

Here is Hobby boss' 1:48 KV-2 that I built in 2009.

Kv2Far(1).jpg

Edited by RKic

Weekend progress on the KV-1, the tracks were my biggest concern but they came out well. I also wanted to depict rough surface on the turret so I coated it with some old Mr. Surfacer that is now very thick and used a brush to create some texture. I like the effect it looks a lot better than the smooth plastic to me.

Since I primarily do planes I wasn't sure how to paint the tracks, but I ended up using Vallejo Metal Air Burnt Iron. I think with some washes and weathering they will look the part.

20160306_211436.jpg

20160306_211426.jpg

The KV-1 is back on track, literally. My 5 year old has loved this build since I started it, and a couple days ago managed to get his hands on it. The only damage was to the tracks which weren't too hard to repair. There are about 20 pieces left in the assembly, the machine gun barrels, cables, and spare track. So it is almost ready for decals and weathering.

20160312_142407.jpg

Finished. For the weathering I started with a Vallejo wash, then used UMP clay washes of light and dark dirt. I also used Vallejo earth effects for the dirt on the tracks. I may have gone a little overboard, but it is certainly different from the mostly clean aircraft I usually build. The kit was really fun to put together, and with one under my belt I will probably do more armor.

20160313_171139.jpg

20160313_171147.jpg

20160313_171155.jpg

20160313_171203.jpg

20160313_171209.jpg

20160313_171220.jpg

20160313_171234.jpg

20160313_171244.jpg

20160313_171310.jpg

Looking good.

I've been resisting the temptation to jump in to any 1/48 scale armor but this one is tempting. Does Hobby Boss offer crew figures in 1/48?

I used to build a lot of armor and figures as a kid, think I even remember building a 1/48 scale Hetzer.

Anyway, the use of Mr. Surfacer to texture the cast turret was a nice touch and I'm glad your five year old is showing interest in the hobby and was "kind" to your KV-1.

Thanks for sharing.

Looking good.

I've been resisting the temptation to jump in to any 1/48 scale armor but this one is tempting. Does Hobby Boss offer crew figures in 1/48?

I used to build a lot of armor and figures as a kid, think I even remember building a 1/48 scale Hetzer.

Anyway, the use of Mr. Surfacer to texture the cast turret was a nice touch and I'm glad your five year old is showing interest in the hobby and was "kind" to your KV-1.

Thanks for sharing.

There are no figures, but Tamiya does have a set of 1/48 Russian figures which includes a tank crew. I have the Hobby Boss T-34 as well and that one has a full interior so when I build that I'll probably add figures.

My son loves tanks, I just ordered a Tamiya M-41 for us to build since from the reviews it looks like a simple build and it was cheap.

Edited by nspreitler

There are no figures, but Tamiya does have a set of 1/48 Russian figures which includes a tank crew. I have the Hobby Boss T-34 as well and that one has a full interior so when I build that I'll probably add figures.

My son loves tanks, I just ordered a Tamiya M-41 for us to build since from the reviews it looks like a simple build and it was cheap.

Cool. Good to know that Tamiya has 1/48 figures.

I was browsing in Barnes & Noble today and I was flipping through a book on the T-34. A lot of the images were of Germans inspecting/posing with knocked out T-34's. Pretty grim. The Russins were dealing with inexperienced crews, overheating, transmission issues, and ineffective tactics. The T-34 crews persevered by sheer strength in numbers.

I used to build models with my son when he was a little guy. We built the Bulldog, snap tite cars,trucks, tanks and a few airplanes. The most important part was we were spending the time together and equally as important was we had fun doing it. Lotsa glue fingerprints and random decals.

Great stuff so enjoy it while you can.

Mine's turning 19 in a week so those days are gone but he still has them on the shelves in his desk.

Tamiya has a lot of old moluld kits that can be had for very little so It's a perfect excuse to have a little fun with your son.

Have a good week,

Jim S.

Edited by Jim S