Spitfire Mk Ia cannon-armed and Mk Va.

Hi,

Perfect day to start the thread. :)

Here are the kits and the decals.

25169650949_63e8ed1a2b_z.jpgSpitfire GB 05March by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

I'll be combining parts of both kits to build Cannon-armed MkIa R6776 "QV-H" flown by George Unwin and MkVa W3185 flown by Douglas Bader.

That is the MkVa that Bader was shot down in on the 9th of August 1941.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

So far, I have only removed the pairs of reinforcement strips from the upper wings of the Mk V kit. I can only hope that I'll be able to make that area somewhat smooth again.

I noticed that the Mk V kit only has the pointed spinner, so I'll have to take blunt one from another kit. Fortunately, I have a pair of untouched Mk I's that intend to build as PR Spitfires with Pavla sets. Maybe later in this GB, I'll enter one of those as well.

I have a Yahu models PE instrument panel on the way. It will be interesting to see how that compares with a kit instrument panel with paint and Airscale Instrument dial decals.

For the first time, I'll be using the Eduard Express masks for the camo schemes.

The Mk Va is in the A scheme and the Mk I in the B scheme, so it will be nice to have the two next to each other.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi,

To avoid mistakes later, I glued the oil coolers onto the intended wing. That is: the round Mk V oil cooler onto the Mk I wing and the Mk I's oil cooler onto the Mk V wing.

I also sprayed some primer on the Mk V wing to check if I had the repaired surface well enough on the spot where I had removed the strips.

26052645185_f7ced5d569_z.jpgwings&oil coolers by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Cheers, Stefan.

Thanks, guys.

My Tamiya Mk I did not have the armor plates, so I made them from plasticard.

Behind the seats is another thing I had to make sure not to forget: add the Mk I style exhausts to the Mk V airframe (which will be the cannon-armed Mk I).

For DB's Mk Va, I have some lovely Quickboost exhausts.

25817187630_80d8a3b9ca_z.jpgPlasticard plates by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Cheers, Stefan.

Thanks, Don.

I had look at my Eduard camouflage masks. The instructions for the masks say that the exhausts are to be installed after the model has been painted. :doh:

Luckily, there is still that new Mk I intended for a PR Spitfire. I'll swap the fuselages.

Cheers, Stefan.

The instructions for the masks say...

Cheers, Stefan.

Instructions...shminstructions! Real men don't read instructions. According to The Boss, that's the root cause of many of my problems. <_<

You'll come out smelling like roses on your builds. Keep it up.

Mike

Instructions...shminstructions! Real men don't read instructions.

Mike

Hi,

Ah, instructions. :rolleyes:

Like I said, I'll probably end up using the fuselage with the exhausts glued on for a PR Spitfire. I'm thinking about Shorty Longbottom's PR Mk Ia N3071.

The Pavla conversion set instructions show this one with a camera installation in the fuselage (should not be there), the camera's in the wing are not illustrated.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Finally, I got something done on one of my Spitfires. I was out of town for a while, but I also hit a bit of builders' block.

I played around with some other kits, I wasn't happy with the way my airbrushing went. Then I remembered that Nick Danger said: "I am a preshader".

I adjusted my needle and undertook my first attempt at pre-shading. At least my airbrushing is more precise than it was a few days ago. I hope I'm on my way to a good Spitfire again.

27376132920_097484a382_z.jpgSpitfire preshaded by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Cheers, Stefan.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Here are the exhausts. Douglas Bader's Mk V will get the Quickboost exhausts, the Mk I will get kit exhausts.

This first picture shows the exhausts with a coat of Tamiya XF-6 "Copper". They looked much nicer in reality, the photo looks very red brown while XF-6 gives a really nice copper look.

28672807041_395648e05b_z.jpgSpitfire exhausts copper by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

The same thing happened after the exhausts received a dark wash. The picture makes them look grey, but they look a lot nicer in reality.

28750272005_318ecb4ed2_z.jpgSpitfire exhausts wash by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi,

There is a bit of trouble with the Dark Earth around the cockpit and on top of the fuel tank of the Mk V. It looks a bit like the "orange peel" effect, but I don't think that is really it. I had been sanding in the area and it looks like I sanded with really coarse sanding paper. Maybe the coat of primer after the sanding repelled some of the paint.

I will try to alleviate the problem with a coat of Alclad microfiller.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi,

The cannon armed Mk I is nearly finished.

28440976784_44979cc4be_z.jpgSpitfire Mk I 18Aug by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

I have an Ultracast prop for her. The stencils are from BarracudaCals.

I wondered which of the prop logos I should use 29 or 30, so I Googled "Rotol prop logo". That got me this interesting link

http://www.network54.com/Search/view/149674/1386236847/2+quick+notes+for+guys+building+RAF+and+FAA+prop+aircraft.?term=blogs&page=13765

with some commentary from Roy from Barracuda himself. The fancy prop logo's are just a warbird thing.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Still some final small things to do before we cross the finish line...like adding a tailwheel to the Mk Va. :)

They'll both have Ultracast props but the Mk I has a Tamiya prop for the picture.

The Mk Va was intended to look really new as she was in service for a short while before she was shot down. With all the touch-ups that is not going to work out.

I find the "DB" code quite impressive... if you see this one in the air, there is no doubt it's Douglas Bader.

28972049910_2824157659_z.jpgSpitfires 27 Aug by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Cheers, Stefan.

Thanks, Martin.

Here is one of them just before I finish. I must add rearview mirrors, the navigation light on top of the fuselage and the main gear wheels.

Yesterday, I installed the radio wires and the IFF "Cheesecutter" aerials using EZ line. I'm quite pleased with that product.

28726390173_0935c4857d_z.jpgSpitfire almost done by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Here's a view to show off the wires.

29060630760_167483f196_z.jpgcheesecutter by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

Cheers, Stefan.