Hello All,

Here's what I've been up to.

WP_20160303_0011_zpsek4f7vbi.jpg

The Beginning

33b5f3bd-b19d-4a45-aa07-4913d413d7dc_zpsgypnrnw4.jpg

About to close up.

Sanded down the sides of IP and seat frame to get a better fit.

Notched out the stringer for IP and seat former to fit better.

Also enlarged the locating pin holes with drill bit to improve on fuselage fit

a301a21a-a8e2-4098-a364-93951c9e4c9f_zpsq89vt4dv.jpg

Hoping with a little finger pressure and CA the gap should closeup nicely, then disappear with some light sanding.

WP_20160305_0101_zpsotvzntzq.jpg

Yeah that latest Airfix 1/72 MkI is a great kit. Backdated one to the prototype a while ago (lot of filing and re-scribing on the wings) but really enjoyed the kit. Looks good so far...

:cheers:

Bruce

Trying a different approach. Glued upper wings on first then lower wing. Trying to eliminate gap at wing root.

Here's what I have so far.

spit_wings_zpsqvhpz9kk.jpg

@ Grandboof - The seam on the upper cowling has been sanded and check, but not painted. I seldom prime. Here's a couple of pics of the cowling

spit_top2_zpsuquoqluj.jpg

spit_top_zpsfu3v6550.jpg

Just a quick update.

All major parts are together, next stop paint shop.

DSC00012_zpsahv6rjx4.jpgDSC00013_zpsjlzb81ai.jpg

Used liquid paper for some minor seam filling. Seam to work well... (excuse the pun.) Will know more when I start painting.

Nice. Did gluing the wing tops to the fuselage halves instead of the usual tops to bottom and then entire assembly to fuselage method affect the dihedral of the wings at all?

Mike

@ AX365 - Here's a couple of pics of the Spit on sticks...

I tried to get the camera level as much as possible to show the result of the dihedral after gluing the upper wings on first then the lower wing.

Spit_Dihedral_zpsknp4zgix.jpg

There are these large gaps at the end of the ailerons that will widen if the diheral has to increase.

Also I didn't snip the locating pins on the wings, so the wings were glues using the pins. I enlarged the locating holes, but I don't think that would make much of a difference.

The large hole in the nose is for a #8 X 3" screw I use for mounting on a painting jig I'm using. It's not my idea, I saw someone use it and thought it was a good idea. Just have to be careful not to split the nose when you screw it in. I'll post a pic of the jig when I get some colour on.

Let me know what you think of the result of the dihedral.

Moe

• 2 weeks later...

Let me know what you think of the result of the dihedral.

Moe

Moe:

I'd say it looks spot on. Nice work. Looking forward to the rest of the magic you apply to this build.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick up date. It's been a while.

Post shading with black and scribbling with three colours is done.

The DE (Humbrol 29) will go final. Then mask for DG (Humbrol 30) with scribbling.

I'll post pics of the DG as I go.

DW_K1_zps8huh9vq3.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's a quick update.

If you look closely, you can pick up some of the scribbling with the different colours. It's something I'll need to work on still in getting the right colour transparency.

DW_K_2_zpsfjmki9uh.jpg

DW_K_3_zpsfezb4vfe.jpg

Almost there, just the matt coat and start weathering.

Had a challenging time placing the unit codes decals so that would look appropriate. (I think I'm still off with the placement, but it will have to do.

Anyone with suggestions on how to place the codes down, especially when the roundel have to lineup with each other and the codes running along the fuselage, I would love to hear from you.

Enjoy

Man that looks nice.

The codes were really that big?

I've never done it any other way but freehand but you could put the rounders on, gloss over, then run some tape to create a straight edge and put the codes a over or below the tape.

• 6 months later...