Centurion help,

Hey all,

I'm looking for a model of the British Centurion, preferably the earlier version. Wanting one as when I'm done my Soviet T-55 I would like to build the Centurion to sit beside it...adversaries if WWIII ever took off at the time.

Anyone know of any companies that build them?

I didn't see any on Tamiya and I thought AFV had one too...but didn't see any either.

Thanks,

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I'm looking for a model of the British Centurion, preferably the earlier version. Wanting one as when I'm done my Soviet T-55 I would like to build the Centurion to sit beside it...adversaries if WWIII ever took off at the time.

Anyone know of any companies that build them?

I didn't see any on Tamiya and I thought AFV had one too...but didn't see any either.

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Doug

If you were wanting a British Army Centurion then care should be taken with the engine deck as three of AFV Club`s Israeli Centurions are modelled on Sho`t Kals which were given new diesel engines in Israel that meant giving the engine deck a new set-up that the British Centurions did not have.

Here`s a British Centurion.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-br7uEZ6WTUw/UjRJ3pCiVoI/AAAAAAAABrg/2aTiVTxtFmY/s1600/IMG_4312.JPG

And the Israeli modification (Sho`t Kal).

https://miniarmour.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/shotkalimg_4911res2.jpg

As also seen in Frogman`s excellent build above.

This AFV Club kit of an Israeli Centurion of 1967 has the original engine deck before Israel began modifying them.

http://4fqfkblbj5f2b1bnc1d05o41.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/AF35159.jpg

As I believe does the NATO and Australian AFV Club Centurions.

I don`t know if all the parts are included with the Israeli Sho`t Kal diesel kits to model a petrol decked version, but on inspecting sprue shots on the net, it seems as though they are. But given that two of the Sho`t Kal kits are way more expensive due to extra parts not found on British Centurions, I would strongly suggest going for the Israeli 1967 `Early Type`, kit number AF35159 that is linked above, or the NATO or Aussie version.

There was several British marks of Centurion so good pics will come in handy.

Frogman`s model of a Sho`t Kal is superb. Israel was still converting the Centurions (called Sho`t by Israel) in 1973, so both petrol and diesel versions served in the Yom Kippur war.

Best of luck with your build Doug. :thumbsup:/>/>

Cheers, Ian

Edited by Ian Buick

I made one back when I was stationed at CFB Shilo over 30 years ago. I used the one parked outside as a reference to do it Canadian. I "think" it was Tamiya with a lot of modifications.

• 2 years later...

I have the Centurion Mk V with the dozer blade and I would like to do an Israeli version, but not sure what needs to be changed.

I just learned about the gas/diesel conversions here, which helped a lot.

Interesting

Cheers,   Ian