Update time.

Spent a fair amount of time masking today and was able to spray the top color on the I-16. Managed to break the tail wheel off of the strut I have repaired already so...If I can find a pic of a Baltic Fleet Type 24 without a tail wheel I'm going to file the tip of the strut flat and leave it for the sake of my sanity.

Anyway, on to the pics-

I used Bare Metal Foil to mask the windscreen.Figure I'll use a little section on the landing gear struts before it's all said and done.

SKCbjmP.jpg?1

Foil burnished on windscreen, then I trimmed the foil to expose the framing with an X-acto blade. Sorry for bad pic. Next build I'll use a camera.

xWVyipv.jpg?1

Wearin’ o’ the Green. Used Akan A II Z with a little white. I like this paint more every time I use it.

UBTFLaZ.jpg?1

Touch up to do, repaint the cowl ring silver, then a gloss coat.

B0pabMv.jpg?1

Well, still have a ways to go so but the end is in sight.

Thank you if you're still following along.

Jim S

Edited by Jim S

This weekend's update-

Touch ups done, painted the cowl ring. Spent a lot of time cleaning the wet tissue masking from around the exhaust pipes. It'll be a really long time before I do that again... Tried spraying a gloss coat on. Used

Vallejo's gloss varnish. I thinned it with water, then 91% IPA and at 20 PSI I was coming away with a slightly grainy finish. Kinda' frustrated but it should be good enough for decals.

MrUvjoF.jpg

Ordered a set of decals from Linden Hill-

8jaLrCX.jpg?1

Came up with an option that will work for me. Found a Type 18 with the Green over Blue camouflage and no tail wheel. Huzzah!

07J9zyn.jpg?1

Next up- Decals, attempt at dot weathering, gunsight, etc.

Thanks for looking,

Jim S

One good looking Mule

Martin H

Thank you!

I was hoping to have the decals on by now but need to sand the varnish with micro-mesh first. The Vallejo Gloss still has a slight tack so I'll have to wait...

Thank you for stopping by.

Looking good.

Thank you. I was doing pretty good until the clear coat. Having never used Vallejo's Gloss Varnish I should have spent more time dialing in the PSI and thinner. Anyway, I sanded away the worst of it with 3600/4000 grit micromesh and applied some Future with a Q-Tip. Hindsight I should have skipped the varnish and went with the Future. I hope to apply the decals in a few days depending on when the tackiness goes away.

Thanks for checking in.

Edited by Jim S

Decals on, working on North Star Models PAK-1 gun sight, going to attempt oil dot weathering after the Future dries. The Begemot decals responded well to my ham fisted application without any setting solution. Managed to muddle

the aileron joint with a too heavy coat of clear varnish though it looks worse in the pic than it really is. I might make a pass with the JLC saw or similar tool to better define the joint before weathering it. Think my next

attempt with Vallejo's gloss varnish will be at around 15 PSI and I will try thinning it with Future and possibly water.

b398TFC.jpg

More to come, thanks for looking.

• 3 weeks later...

Update time.

Experimented with oil dot filters, had to do the upper filter twice and spent a fair amount of time working on the La-7 and Yak-3 from the proposal thread while waiting for layers of Future to cure.

It's not perfect but I'm satisfied for a first attempt.

Initial dot filter of bottom.

3CZT8EN.jpg?1

Payne's Grey panel line wash on bottom.

35nfncz.jpg?1

Payne's Grey panel line wash on top.

v3kNaNN.jpg?1

Next on my agenda is to shoot some clear satin varnish, tie up the loose ends, add a little bit of weathering and it'll be done.

Sorry for the lack of updates. Had to figure a thing or two out and beyond that... Simply busy.

I hope to start a build thread for the La-7 and Yak-3 soon.

Thanks for stopping by.

Jim S

• 2 weeks later...

Jim, this is beautiful! And you've got me convinced to try out the Akan paint.

Hello RKic,

Glad you like it. Thank you for the compliment.

I am looking forward to finishing the I-16 up. I am also looking forward to spraying more Akan on the Yak and Lavochkin. I think it will spray straight from the bottle this time around and if I have to thin I will try Tamiya's thinner instead of rubbing alcohol. The only thing I thought was odd was the paint still had a slight tack to it after 24 hours.Don't know if that was related to the alcohol, the semi matt paint, or my application. Beyond that I had no complaints whatsoever.

Have a good one,

Jim S

• 2 weeks later...

Update time.

Northstar Models PAK-1 gun sight installed alongside the portholes I almost lost under all of the primer, paint, and clear finishes. I gave the lenses and portholes a quick swipe of Future and

touched up the cockpit edging paint after this pic.

Nctoc1H.jpg?1

I worked on the I-16 incessantly this weekend to get it done. After the gun sight and touch up's I installed the windscreen and venturi. Then I moved on to the landing gear, setting the mains and

wheels. I used EZ line to rig the landing gear. The gear had to be raised by cranking a handle in the cockpit 47 revolutions if I remember right.

Anyway, after that the hypodermic tubing was cut and installed for the gun tubes, the braces were added to the landing gear, paint touch ups were done and last but not least the wingtip position

lights were painted. It took a lot longer to finish up than I thought it would but regardless...It's done.

WlajD4j.jpg?1

Wg6EBsA.jpg?1

It's not perfect but it's close enough for me. I think I have three more of these in the stash so it'll go better next time for sure.

I'll post a couple of more pics in the completed thread.

To all of those who followed along, Thank you!

Best regards,

Jim S

• 4 weeks later...

That looks great, Jim. The little details like the light holes over the coaming are superb. Great job!

Hey RKic,

Thank you very much. It's not "perfect" but it is done. Thanks for following along and noticing the little details.

Jim S