Hello folks.

Am getting things together for my next build (1/72 scale B-1B), and had a question about GP-type bombs.

Have seen several Mk82s and 84s with a blue stripe around the nose, over the olive drab (or gray, for you Navy types). Have seen the blue stripe on other ordinance as well, like the AGM-158 JASSM. Does this indicate a reduced-load or inert bomb?

I have seen solid-blue cased Mk80-types, and am pretty sure that *those* are the inert ones.

I guess the question is: what is the difference between a blue-striped and a solid blue weapon? Which is truly "inert"?

As opposed to the orange-yellow stripe, which means it is "ert". B)/>

(apologies to "Private Benjamin")

Cheers,

KWright//

I will share my understanding of it.

If you see an Olive Drab Mk 82 shaped thing with a blue stripe,,,,,,,that in an inert Mk 82 bomb.

If you see a Blue Mk 82 shaped thing, with White lettering, that is a Mk 87 Practice Bomb.

Oh, and as for shapes and sizes, if you see a Gray Mk 82 shaped thing with GREEN stripes,,,,,,get away from it, that is a MK 94 Chemical Bomb.

AS you said the blue indicates "inert" and it can be the stripe or the whole munition. In my experience, the OD bombs that had the blue stripes were usually used for load crew training and usually had a inert fuze in the nose ( and tail) whereas the overall blue bombs (with a plastic cap on the nose and no fuze) were loaded and dropped form our aircraft.

This is what I saw in 31 years in the ANG but I'm sure there will be exceptions to this. We also had both over all blue AGM-65's for our load crew to train with and white/grey/OD with blue striped AGM-65's

The one thing that was constant Blue -is inert whether is a stripe or the whole munition is painted that way.

As opposed to the orange-yellow stripe, which means it is "ert". B)

(apologies to "Private Benjamin")

And to "Yes, Minister" (British sitcom), when the politicians were trying to sound knowledgeable (unsuccessfully) regarding government approval of a questionable chemical compound.

As I recall it went something like this:

"Well sir, it's an inert compound."

"I see. ...um, what's 'inert' mean?"

"Well...it means, not....um....well, not ERT."

"I see. And a compound?

(long pause) "Well...it's like....well you know what compound interest is? Well...THAT'S a jolly good thing...so this must also be just as good."

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

I will share my understanding of it.

If you see an Olive Drab Mk 82 shaped thing with a blue stripe,,,,,,,that in an inert Mk 82 bomb.

If you see a Blue Mk 82 shaped thing, with White lettering, that is a Mk 87 Practice Bomb.

Oh, and as for shapes and sizes, if you see a Gray Mk 82 shaped thing with GREEN stripes,,,,,,get away from it, that is a MK 94 Chemical Bomb.

Yes, Rex; colors such as green or purple tend to be bad things.

Thanks.

AS you said the blue indicates "inert" and it can be the stripe or the whole munition. In my experience, the OD bombs that had the blue stripes were usually used for load crew training and usually had a inert fuze in the nose ( and tail) whereas the overall blue bombs (with a plastic cap on the nose and no fuze) were loaded and dropped form our aircraft.

This is what I saw in 31 years in the ANG but I'm sure there will be exceptions to this. We also had both over all blue AGM-65's for our load crew to train with and white/grey/OD with blue striped AGM-65's

The one thing that was constant Blue -is inert whether is a stripe or the whole munition is painted that way.

Have seen some other ordinance (CBUs, I think) that had "crew training only- not for flight' lettering on them.

So the blue-striped are for use to train ground ordinance crews, while the solid blue are actually dropped from aircraft?

Thanks for the clarification.

Have seen some other ordinance (CBUs, I think) that had "crew training only- not for flight' lettering on them.

So the blue-striped are for use to train ground ordinance crews, while the solid blue are actually dropped from aircraft?

Yes, and let's also clarify "ordnance" as being weaponry, "ordinance" as being a rule, regulation, or law. Turning "editor mode" off now. :rolleyes:

Edited by Paul Boyer

And to "Yes, Minister" (British sitcom), when the politicians were trying to sound knowledgeable (unsuccessfully) regarding government approval of a questionable chemical compound.

As I recall it went something like this:

"Well sir, it's an inert compound."

"I see. ...um, what's 'inert' mean?"

"Well...it means, not....um....well, not ERT."

"I see. And a compound?

(long pause) "Well...it's like....well you know what compound interest is? Well...THAT'S a jolly good thing...so this must also be just as good."

Ahh, the British sense of humor.

Having lived there, one has a deeper appreciation for it.

100% correct. Not bad considering you were a crew chief and not a weapons troop.

Steve

Not necessarily. Blue-striped MK-80 series bombs, either overall green or overall gray, can be used to build up practice weapons for flight and to drop. I know that we used both gray bombs with blue stripes and overall blue bombs for separation tests from Hornets and Super Hornets when I was involved with the program.

In the USAF anyway, the BDU-50 is the Mk-82 practice munition. Externally identical except for the lack of charging well between the lugs, and has no nose or tail fuze well either. The nose well only has enough threads to engage a Paveway LGB fuzebolt.