Pair of Black Ponies

Those are some nice OV-10's. I love reading about tribute builds.

I built a LCVP from my dad's ship for him. I didn't know that he actually was an engineer on the boat. When i gave the model to him, he pointed at one of the men and said, "that was my job until I made rank." That blew me away.

Last year I custom built a WW2 destroyer for my wife's boss, a former officer who served on her in the war. He was very surprised and kept gushing about what a nice gesture. I became a hero among his family. :)

I would encourage all modelers to find someone to build a tribute for.

Gary

Couldn't agree more. I built the 1/35 Tamiya PBR for my wife's uncle who was a stern .50 cal gunner during Vietnam. He has it on the fireplace mantle in the family room.

And these Black Ponies are two very nice builds. Great job!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about to kick off a build like this myself, for my dad. He was a USN plane captain on an F-8 Crusader. Now that I've about gone nuts researching the specific plane, the markings, the differences(on that one cruise, the a/c in this squadron had 3 different nose cone colors, 3 different tail cap colors, and at different times, either a "chin strap" marking or none...and any combination of these could have been on the plane in question), I just ordered the kit and parts needed to make this happen. I am back-dating the Hasegawa F-8E Crusader to F-8D configuration. Also, adding the drooped speed brake, seamless intake and a cockpit set. I found just about all the markings I will need from 2 different decal sheets, and ordered one of those already. The rest of the markings will likely be masked and painted.

I plan on trying some new things on this build. One, I've never used Future before, so we're going to give that a go on the clear parts, and also as a coat before decals. I also want to try some different weathering techniques. I've used some basic washes before, but want to try weathering powders. As soon as I can get started on this, I will, and might even find the time to post up a WIP thread. Wish me luck guys, I have built a lot of kits, but it's honestly been several years since I've really dug into any of these.