Hi guy,

with the end of the Vietnam GB,I decided to continue to post the updates of my build in this section,for the interested,here the start of the model.

Today news.

For who follow the build from the beginning,this is like the pit look after closed in the fuselage;I solved the fit probem thanks to plastic strip and the set' PE.

WADBAq.jpg[/url][/img]

This is the new air duct,courtesy of the Brassin cockpit assembly and some elbow grease.I've to add some Milliput on the upper part of the duct splitter and rescribe new panel lines.To convince the air duct to join smoothly the fuselage,I used some Mr. Surfacer 1000 wiped off with earstick soaked in Gunze thinner followed by some layers of Future.

funYoY.jpg[/url][/img]

The nose area;first,I opened the cannon' shells ejection ports,glued and rescribed the cannon fairings and filled the join fuselage-intake lip with melted plastic.

After a careful sanding and rescribing work this is the result.

GXAc8I.jpg[/url][/img]

And after all the sanding job naturally I've rescribed the lost panel lines,new ones and added some details in the belly area and a new flare dispenser on the tail fin.

jyGA5V.jpg[/url][/img]

The wings were the next target.Here I added new blister of the Syrena-2 on the leading edge,tips and the rear of the tail fin,plus obviously new nav lights.

OXc6Kk.jpg[/url][/img]

Start some detail work of the jet exhaust.

weeOpT.jpg[/url][/img]

And for fun,I dry fitted the Master cannons and pitots;I love these details and Master is very careful in explaning wich pitot is in the port or starboard side and how much the cannon barrels need to protrude,nice job Master!

Also,because I wasn't happy with the first try of the anti-flutter weights under the wing tips,I scratched new one from some Academy F-18 antennas that are of the same shape of the real ones!

1d8Xj2.jpg[/url][/img]

And these are the model parts I've actually.

fePYdg.jpg[/url][/img]

Next,I will glue the wings and start detailing the wheel bays.

In the meantime,after discover that the main wheel rims was the same of the MiG-15s,I've ordered the Brassin wheel set destined to the Fagot.

Like always thanks for watching and feel free of critique and comment,

cheers,

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77

Hi Gianni,

Nice work so far. One small note, what you call antiflutter weight is in fact part of the early IFF system, it is an antenna. Your second try is very close to what it looks like in real life. When painting: it has a matt black plastic body and the small spot on the top of it is a metalic plate.

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks guys!

Moritz,effectively the kit required some extra works,especially the pit-intake areas,but is like any other short run ( and I've another one for my Middle East collection).

Gabor,many thanks for the head up,I referred to these detail with the anti-fluttr weights name as per Walk Around series book.

Gianni

I referred to these detail with the anti-fluttr weights name as per Walk Around series book.

Gianni

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The Squadron Walk Around book is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!! H-H Stapfer has no idea what he is talking about!!!!!!! He went around Eastern Europe in 80's-90' and collected photos "just for his own use" and then published them with out copyright. Most of the text that is published in his books is pure fiction, the only part which is of use are some of the photos.

Best regards

Gabor

Good days guys.

Here a small update,but first I'll thanks you dragan for your appreciation and Gabor for the head up:after your first advice I searched for better info and I found on Cybermodeller some good walkarounds.

OK,now the model.

The wings're glued in position.

YJpreQ.jpg[/url][/img]

qcbyE0.jpg[/url][/img]

I spent the days since the last update to blend the join between the fuselage and the wings;in fact,despite I sanded the wings and even the wing roots in order to reduce the filling job,some tedious,important seams developed.

To fill the biggers I used the old trick of plasticard and CA glue,followed by liquid plastic;after sanding and rescribing this is the result.

rjSjKa.jpg[/url][/img]

Wings achivieds,was time to continue to add details. One of my goal was obtain a better rendition of the RV-2 Kristal radar altimeter antennas,I used Albion 0.20mm nickel rod sanded pointy and bent'em in an L shape.To "bridge" the two Ls I used stretched sprue and CA.

lwNPGx.jpg[/url][/img]

Speaking of details I added the small air pressure probe on the top fuselage,added some new panels forgotten by the producer,ecc

The new additions are those in the red circles.

YLZvoJ.jpg[/url][/img]

Finally,I received the Brassin wheels,look at the details,light year from the kit ones!

fjwPTI.jpg[/url][/img]

As evident from some pics,I started the works on the wheel bays and the landing gears,so stay tuned for the progress.

A question to MiG experts,exist an AM ventral fin to replace the kit one,I don't like how look.Also,the Vietnamese Frescos have stencils or was limited to idividual numbers and national markings?

Thanks for look and feel free of critique and comments!

Cheers,

Gianni.

Splendid!

Any idea yet about the tailplane?

How will you tackle the horizontal plans?

Not yet my friend,but what is the problem with the tailplanes?

In the meantime,I detailed the wheel bays during this week-end and started the job on the landing gears.

Thanks to stop by Antoine,

cheers,

Gianni

Ah.ok.

Yes,you're right;I think to adopt the same tecnique I used for the wings,use a pencil to take the precise location of the joined part and insert some brass rod ,this will work ,I hope...

Gianni

Good days all and Joel,thanks for stop by.

A quick,little update.

I worked the MLG bays to add some details thanks to the pics on Cybermodeler,but I need to add some other cables.Unfortunately,the nose one is wrong in shape so I'm very limited in the detail I can add,more pics lately.

Note that my build will be a Mig.17F and not a Chinese copy,so the main gear legs need two brake lines instead of one.

hHzpwx.jpg[/url][/img]

At the same time I detailed the gears legs,and also there I need add some extra parts.

I completely redo the rear strut on the main legs,better that spent time trying to save the kit one.

The pics.

pxz5Bw.jpg[/url][/img]

Last,I added the belly fin.

eoUw6H.jpg[/url][/img]

And that's all,

thanks,

Gianni

Gianni,

Those two main Gear struts are amazing. Just an outstanding amount of detailing in the wheel wells.

Joel

Thanks Joel,you're very kind!

I've glued the tailplanes and now I need to fill and rescribe the parts.

Some pics ASAP.

Gianni

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gianni!

Your work amazing as usual. Perfect Mig-17 will be this one ;)/>

Regards Polo

Ehi Polo,

you're very kind!

I've just finished some touch up on the fuselage spine and added tailplanes and extra cockpit details,some pics this week-end.

Also,I still need to solve the fuel tanks problem,as the kit ones are a mess!Eduard MiG-15 look to have what I need and I've already contacted a pair of ARCers friends that build the Eduard kit to see if is possible to obtain two pairs of tanks,'cause beside this build I''ve another AZ Fresco planned as a SyAAF for my arab-israeli collection.

Gianni

I have some spare fuel tanks. Which one are you looking for? There are two types, the all metal version as well as the one which was made from Bakelite and it was a two part tank with a joint in the middle.

Will you be at Mosonmagyarovar show? Or any of your friends visiting the show? I know usualy there are some Italian clubs present. I could simply pass it over to them.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Hi guys,

as promised some pics.

In reality very little progress 'cause between the job,some commission,some days of flu,etc...I had little free time in the past days,but this's nothing of exceptional for anyone right?

So,studying the ref pics I noted that the IP/gunsight ensemble could be covered by a canvas,plus was present other small instrument that honestly I don't know what are.

Here my rendition.

99Mv4B.jpg[/url][/img]

And painted.

558cj0.jpg[/url][/img]

I've glued the tailplanes in place;the join needed some fill but nothing of dramatic.In order to obtain a more hard join I've inserted a pair of brass rod in each tailplanes and now the model start to look like a MiG-17.

t1CoZG.jpg[/url][/img]

vV6QGv.jpg[/url][/img]

Finally I scratched the port stabilator' trim control fairing.

OPlq0Y.jpg[/url][/img]

And this is the actual work progress.I've already cutted a Pavla vacu canopy and started the dry fit.

Gabor,I need both the finned tank versions if possible (red circle) to fullfill my need for my two Frescos and add some difference between them,but if not possible any one will be good,with a preference to the one in the green circle.

4ZFJnk.jpg[/url][/img]

Unfortunately I do not come to the show Mosonmagyarovar, nor know somebody who participates,but I can and want pay the parts and shipping cost.

Thanks all,

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77