best 1/48th P-40

Quite a few out there, and I know that there seem to be accuracy issues with all, so which gives the best compromise of good fit and looking like the real thing?

Cheers

Les

If you're after one of the later variants (-E, -M or -N), then Hasegawa by all means. IMHO they make up to very nice looking models, although their heavy use of modular parts adds some labor to the builds.

If you're after a Merlin-engined -F or -L, then about the only game in town is the AMT molds (also released by AMTech with some resin and different decals). They're a sizable step down from Hasegawa in detail and refinement, but they can yield a decent or better model.

If you're after an early -B/-C, then you're best off waiting for the upcoming Airfix release. Although there's already been a fair amount of accuracy hysteria based on the CAD shots, it's bound to be way better than any of the present options (ancient Monogram/Revell, Hobbycraft, or Trumpeter). There's a plethora of internet discussion of these kits, some of it heated to say the least, but I leave it to you to search out here or at HyperScale.

Speaking of the new Airfix long-nose P-40 issues, I seem to remember officials/spokespeople from the company saying they had taken the CAD-based criticism on board and were correcting the design. It definitely looks the way to go for a B/C.

I've built a couple of the 1/48 Hasegawa M kit and had no problems, other than some PSR being needed around the tail-fuse join and a little on the rear-view scallops. A great kit that compares damned well with the real thing.

Edited by K5054NZ

The best P-40 overall is the AMT, by quite some distance for accuracy. Older moulds may fit better than later moulds.

The biggest error visually on the AMT P-40s is that the wingroot fairing is ballooned upwards when it should a very prominent and visible straight line on top...

All the N kits have wrongly shaped prop blades.

Strong points of AMT:

-Accurate windscreen (Hasegawa's is way too wide)

-Accurate rear canopy cross-section: Mauve/Eduard is way too sharp there...

-Accurate nose/oil cooler profile and cross-section proportions.

Missed by all P-40N kits, the rear glass has a center frame running its full length, but that is easy to paint in.

Robertson

This is my example of AMT's P-40N. Maybe it will help you decide if you can live with the errors detailed above.

P40N3_4LeftU.jpg

P40NLUpperU.jpg

P40NRNoseCloseupU.jpg

At the time I didn't realize that Dull Dark Green may have been a better choice for the cockpit. The cockpit detailing is pretty nice on the AMT P-40s, the instrument panel being especially nice (this from AMT P-40F).

CPAssembly.jpg

If you decide to go the AMT route, you'll want to add a spreader bar to the forward wing root and some tabs to support the wing/fuselage assembly:

P40FUndernose.jpg

And a bit of plastic card to support the cowl side panels (my installation isn't elegant, but it works):

P40NoseRinside.jpg

Hi lesthegringo : In 1/48 scale, for a B/C, I should wait for the brand new Airfix one, Hobbycraft one is O.K. for me too (I´m not a rivet counter), seems like a good B/C for me, you can find it reboxed by Academy too, Monogram one is as old as injustice, but for a first model or after a long hatiatus in modeling, should be O.K. too. If you are considering an E/M or N the best one is Hasegawa, mainly for the details, although Mauve-Eduard P-40N and AMT P-40N a very very nice ones too, just half of a point behind...I have P-40N from Hasegawa, Mauve and AMT, and they are all gems, with a little more detail in Hasegawa´s one, but the other too are worth the money!. Just MHO.

Best,

Juan

Thanks Don. It was a great kit and an aircraft I'd wanted to build for years. Very happy with it! It pops up on the local eBay clone fairly regularly for sometimes ludicrous prices - I got another but "whiffed" it.