Kinetic Su-33...differences with J-15

I am planning to built the new kinetic kit. It sounds (at least to me) interesting to represent the J-15...is it possible?...what are the main differences and hardship I'll face regarding this "transition"???...

Thanks Vodnik!!!...but is this going to be enough???...I am not a "rivet counter", my models are a living proof of that...but, is it anything else I should know???

Thanks Vodnik!!!...but is this going to be enough???...I am not a "rivet counter", my models are a living proof of that...but, is it anything else I should know???

You'll need Chinese missiles as well if you want it armed.

Edited by ijozic

OK ......

Apart from the cockpit differences you need....

'Drooped' wingtip launch rails.

Some differences in the other launch rails to cater for Chinese-specific missiles.

Small raised RWR antenna on the tail boom - and different RWR antenna on the fin trailing edges

Radome with raised lightning strips

The latest operational J-15's have two small antenna on the upper wing root just aft of the L/E slats

Later J-15's have the WS-10 engine with a different nozzle.

Painting and markings are also different of course.

I think that's all - a study of the many J-15 videos/photos out there will help

Happy Flankering :thumbsup:

Ken

In addition to what Ken said, here's a link to a BM post showing the forthcoming Caracal sheet ( great esp.for the basic stencils ) and an embedded link to the HS review of the DM conversion. The DM conversion has the glass panel and tip rails which you will need at the minimum.

BM link

I have both the Su-33 kit and the HB J-11 kit - it's possible to do a swap between the kits ( Plus the DM panel ) and get a passable Su-27 and a J-15 - Ken knows more, but here's my take:

(1) Tip and underwing pylons / rails / missiles - J-11B kit are all Chinese - swap to Su-33.

(2) Ditto swap Su-33 missiles etc. to J-11B.

(3) J-11B kit has molded correct HUD for J-15; Swap with older style Su-33 HUD, or use p.e. HUD in the DM set.

(4) J-11B kit has both AL-31F and WS-10A AB parts, they are nowhere as good as the AL-31F AB in the Su-33 kit, but most good pics on the web do not show the J-15 with the WS-10A.

(5) J-11B kit has both the glass panel for the J-11B ( don't know if this is the same as the J-15 panel ) and the earlier Su-27 panel.

My big problem - these kits are just HUGE in 1:48 !!

Kinetic/LuckyModels/Raymond has stated that they have no intentions of producing anymore "Flankers". It seems they have no interest in the subject matter.

Raymond was asked about doing a J-15 and he outright said...NO.

Scott

I am pretty confident, Trumpeter will do a J-15. I would rate the new J-11B from them is, overall, very good. It is not exceptional like Kinetic Su-33 but Trumpeter claimed their upcoming Su-33 will have new molding technology so there is a possibility that it will be better than this new J-11B from them. So, all these point a very good Su-33 and later, J-15 will be coming.

Edited by foxmulder_ms

I am overwhelmed with your responses!!!...Thank you all!!!

Most probably I'll "stick" with the Su-33...hhhmm...till a J-15 comes up!

Pep tell me what you need and I might be able to help you, nothing to do with your "Chinese" missiles!!

Edited by zark
  • 1 year later...
On 7/11/2017 at 10:30 AM, foxmulder_ms said:

Apparently a new J-15 version is coming from Kinetic. Anyone has more info especially release date and updated/new parts?

1029952-26969-19-720.jpg

Hmmm that box art looks more like Hobby Boss or Trumpeter. I would like to do a J-15 but in that nice yellow scheme during its test phase.. I think I can use one of these kits right? May have to back date it to very early J-15 though.

On 7/11/2017 at 11:30 AM, foxmulder_ms said:

Apparently a new J-15 version is coming from Kinetic. Anyone has more info especially release date and updated/new parts?

1029952-26969-19-720.jpg

Looks like USAF is flying CAP for the Navy......  :doh:

On 7/11/2017 at 10:30 AM, foxmulder_ms said:

1029952-26969-19-720.jpg

If that Viper hasn't jetted his tanks by now, he's screwed 😜

Looks like a rolling scissors set up too.  Nice box art 👍🏻

Edited by Falconxlvi